Ares Games

Thread: Historical aircraft speed

Default Historical aircraft speed

I've noticed that in the game there are several central powers airplanes that use a "3.5" speed deck. I'm referring to maneuver decks K, J, V, I, W, D, X.

For the CP we have:

Rumpler
    Roland C.II
    Albatros DII
    Albatros DIII
    Halterstadt CL.II
    Pfalz D.III
    Hannover CL.IIIa
    Fokker Dr.I.
    Phonix D.I (coming soon)

On the Entente side, we only have:

Nieuport 17
    Breguet BR.14
    R.E.8
    1 /12 Strutter (coming soon)

Any thoughts about this? Did the Entente really just have generally faster aircraft, or does it only appear that way when we consider the minis that have been released?

I would say that by the end of the war the best Entente machines were generally faster than the Central Powers machines but there were swings to and fro throughout the war. You also have to take into account that the Entente continued using large numbers of obsolete machines past their 'Sell by date'. This is not reflected in the models issued because there are for example no B.E.2c's and D.H.9's.

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    ...Any thoughts about this? Did the Entente really just have generally faster aircraft, or does it only appear that way when we consider the minis that have been released?
    I think that you need to take into account when the aircraft listed came into service and what type they are. Many of the Entente kites were slower at the time these appeared, for instance when the Roland C.II appeared on the scene it was the fastest aircraft in the sky and could only be caught, if it could be caught, by diving on it. So it's quicker than the redoubtable DH2, MS.N, N.16 models available to us that would oppose it.
    The "3.5cm" speed is the "Average speed band" for aircraft that can do between 161 & 180kph, it would appear that having had slow types for so long the Entente eventually built faster planes to counter them and then the Germans did the same !

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Pretty much agreed - some of the most famous episodes of the air war (the Fokker scourge, Bloody April, and the introduction of the D.VII) resulted from German aircraft superiority, but they tended to be brief blips, and for most of the war the entente had the better aircraft, and in particular better engines and fuel, so tended to have a speed advantage.

If the Entente range of 'official models' were to be expanded to include such as the DH5 (I deck), Armstrong Whitworth FK8 (K deck), SAML S2 (K deck) then the sides in the average speed band would start to balance out a bit.

"He is wise who watches"

Is there a ranking of decks by speed or maneuverability?

There's nothing to rank the decks or that lists them officially but there is this doc in the filesI created that lists the details of all the current decks if that helps Ken.

"He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2020, 12:32
  2. Aircraft listed by speed
    By Dowters in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-29-2014, 04:50
  3. My speed, you know...
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 13:17