Ares Games

Thread: Vickers S Guns

Default Vickers S Guns

As I've just built a Hawker Hurricane Mk.IV with 40mm Vickers S Cannons, the D Deck just doesn't cut it.

I propose a new E damage deck of 30 cards. One boom card and 29x0s ;-)

On a more sensible note, I will have to bring this up with the committee, but I doubt any of these were ever fired at other planes.
    They were called 'Flying Can Openers' for ground attack.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Close, but I'd remove the boom card....

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Close, but I'd remove the boom card....
    You've got to allow for the odd random hit. Maybe a sixty card deck?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

To be honest I really wouldn't - it simply wasn't for that purpose, and wasn't used for it even in desperation - a single shot cannon with a dozen rounds and no air-to-air sight is probably best just left as a "nope" rather than encouraging anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    To be honest I really wouldn't - it simply wasn't for that purpose, and wasn't used for it even in desperation - a single shot cannon with a dozen rounds and no air-to-air sight is probably best just left as a "nope" rather than encouraging anything else.
    I agree with you. It was a jest. Though the ground attack bits would need to be worked out.

Well, first, Steve, this thread needs to be in the WW2 section
    Second; I've mentioned in the Committee section that, IMO, none of these AtG cannons should be used in air combat.
    Their RoF was too low to provide a meaningful chance for a hit. How the German's 50mm anti-bomber guns worked is a question. Do we have any info on them getting any hits/kills.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Well, first, Steve, this thread needs to be in the WW2 section
    Second; I've mentioned in the Committee section that, IMO, none of these AtG cannons should be used in air combat.
    Their RoF was too low to provide a meaningful chance for a hit. How the German's 50mm anti-bomber guns worked is a question. Do we have any info on them getting any hits/kills.

Karl
    You're right, oops, I must have been having one of my foggy days.
    I was kidding at the start, but it is a pertinent question that the tank hunting planes got bigger & biiger guns. No data to hand though.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The Japanese played around with single shot anti-bomber guns too (on the Dinah, maybe?) but they don't seem to have had much joy. I'd suggest any single shot air to air weapon probably needs a "can only fire at a target that it's tailing" rule....

As a nod to the wrong forum I posted this in, I find the rocket rules from WGF work quite nicely for these sorts of things. Never thought of putting them to use with guns, but have with other unguided rockets etc in WGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    As a nod to the wrong forum I posted this in, I find the rocket rules from WGF work quite nicely for these sorts of things. Never thought of putting them to use with guns, but have with other unguided rockets etc in WGS.
    I'll have to look at those rocket rules; I don't like balloon-buster missions (can't really say why), so I've ignored those rules.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

The tank-buster Hurricanes had two 0.303 machine guns to aid their sighting before firing the cannons.

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Of course if you want to go into the realms of very obscure prototypes that didn`t go anywhere and the origins of the `S` gun then you find things like this.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westla...W._Gun_Fighter
    `S` gun as a `schrage musak` cannon or bomber turret mount anybody?
    (One was apparently mounted in a special turret on a Wellington.)

P-39 Bell Airacobras in WW2 and Russian Mig-15's in Korea used 37mm cannon in air to air combat.

Similar Missions

1. WSF Vickers FB5
    By Madboyo in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-16-2016, 19:00
  2. Lewis and Vickers guns
    By Biggles downunder in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 02:54
  3. `new` Vickers FB5 `Gunbus`
    By batesyboy in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 54