Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Caught with their Pants Down! (Kaiser's Eagles) 30 Oct 1917 -Carl Brisgamer

Default OTTED Caught with their Pants Down! (Kaiser's Eagles) 30 Oct 1917 -Carl Brisgamer

Koolkerke, Oktober 28, 1917

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albatros Koolkerke.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	195333

The Staffelführer examined the aerial photograph carefully. ‘Unglaublich’ he thought to himself, amazed at the capacity of German science and industry, even in these trying times. The image was taken from high altitude by one of the Luftstreitkräfte’s excellent Rumpler C.IV reconnaissance aircraft using a tried and tested Görz camera fitted with an exceptional Zeiss lens. The detailed image showed a large number of RFC aircraft lined up in long rows at Baizieux airfield, some 25 kilometres behind the Front. It provided undeniable proof that the Tommies were building up forces in the Arras Sector. Something big was in the wind.

Name:	Baizieux airfield aerial photo.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	195334
    Baizieux Airfield 1917

“What is your opinion Herr Oberleutnant?” asked the Station Kommandant, “A nice fat target, nicht wahr?”

“Jawohl Herr Kapitänleutnant” agreed the Staffelführer “but this airfield is a hundred kilometres south of our sector.”

“Not anymore. The Navy High Command has issued orders your Staffel is to be redeployed to an airfield near Cambrai. The Army has requested assistance in dealing with the increase in enemy air activity in that sector. The enemy operations near Passchendaele appear to be winding down, which may be an indication they are shifting forces south. This posting is a singular honour Herr Oberleutnant. You will be sharing billets with Jasta 5 at Boistrancourt. I believe they have a magnificent Chateau they call home.” The Kapitänleutnant leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially “Before too long you may even be joined by Jasta 11, perhaps even the Rittmeister himself! So make sure your men show these Army Kanonen what the Navy can really do in the air.”

“Of course Herr Kapitänleutnant,” responded the Staffelführer, “we shall do our duty for the Fatherland”. Inside he groaned at the Station Kommandant’s anachronistic Army-Navy rivalry. After three years of war the Staffelführer no longer cared about such petty things. As long as German pilots were successful in the air he could not care less if they wore the uniform of the Luftstreitkräfte of the Marinefliegerei.

“Excellent. You leave in the morning. Your pilots will fly their aircraft Boistrancourt and your stores, equipment and ground crews will entrain tomorrow at noon. Good luck Herr Oberleutnant.”

Boistrancourt, Oktober 29, 1917

Name:	Boistrancourt1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	195335

Leutnant zur See Willi Mattheus sat near the fireplace in “SchloB Boistrancourt” enjoying the warmth of the glowing hearth and the burn of schnapps on the way down.

“I could get used to this Paul” he said to his brother officer and wingman Leutnant Paul Achilles. “Beats those drafty huts at Koolkerke.”

Leutnant Paul Achilles nodded as he finished his second schnapps. “Or freezing to death in a lice ridden dugout” he added, a slight shiver going through him as he remembered the mud, the cold and the damp of Flanders. Achilles had been a Marine-Infanterie officer before transferring to flying duties and his experiences in the trenches had left their mark. “This is the life. A warm fire, good liquor, fine comrades, clean sheets - and if it all goes to hell tomorrow a quick death.” He raised his third glass “Prost Willi – to a death quick and clean!”

Willi Mattheus echoed his friend’s toast “Quick and clean it is then” skolling his drink.

“What are we drinking to?” slurred Leutnant Werner Bastian as he slid down onto the couch beside Matteus. The 26 year old Berliner had recently joined the Staffel and tomorrow would be his first sortie, flying with Mattheus and Achilles. Bastian had grown tired of sitting on a ship rusting at anchor in Wilhemshaven and volunteered for the Marineflieger. Although only three years the junior of Mattheus he seemed so very young.

“To victory of course” said Mattheus in his most reassuring manner. Refilling his glass a third time from the bottle on the table he stood and raised his voice, “And to the generosity of our Jasta 5 comrades!” his toast receiving loud endorsement from the Army pilots present.

Sitting down Mattheus turned to his comrades. “Last one for tonight gentlemen, we have an early start in the morning. Must catch the Tommies before breakfast!”

“I checked with the armourers this evening, they have rigged up each of our kites with a couple of 10 kilo ‘sausages’ we can drop on their mess” remarked Paul Achilles with a grim smile.

“I must say it was very decent of Jasta 5 to offer the use of an Albatros tomorrow” said Leutnant Bastian, “I did not fancy trying to keep up with the two you in that tired old Pfalz.”
    “Yes” said Mattheus, “a nice turn of speed will be helpful to get us in and out before things get too hot. We need to hit them hard and fast but no heroics, we will be over on the neighbour’s side of the lines and the Fatherland may need us for future operations – even you Werner.”

“The Tommies won’t know what hit them,” exclaimed Bastian excitedly. “Who knows, maybe the powers that be will throw a couple of those our way” he added, indicating the recently awarded Eisernes Kreuz II.Klasse adorning Leutnant Mattheus tunic.

“However it goes there will likely be crosses in it” agreed Leutnant Paul Achilles with wry grin, “although whether they be iron or wooden I can’t say!”
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-07-2016 at 07:28.

Default AAR OTTED Caught with their Pants Down! (Kaiser's Eagles) 30/10/2017 - Carl Brisgamer

Boistrancourt, Oktober 30, 1917

Sitting in the Jasta 5 duty hut, the Army Unteroffizier clattered away on his typewriter as the three Marineflieger officers gave combat reports to their Staffelführer. Although not attached to his Staffel, the naval pilots were also using the airfield at Boistrancourt. As their own ground personal had yet to arrive the Unteroffizier had been ordered to record their reports. He was not grumbling though, this duty was a good way to find out what was happening at the front and it was better than mounting guard!

Name:	See Adlers.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	195704

“We took off at just before first light, about 0650 hours” said Leutnant Willi Mattheus as he paced back and forth across the room. “I led the Kette with Leutnant Paul Achiiles on my left and Leutnant Werner Bastian on my right. We all flew the Albatros D.Va.”

“Each of the aircraft were fitted with two 10kg aerial bombs for this raid” added Leutnant Achilles, lighting a cigarette.

“We flew on a south-easterly bearing crossing the front before dawn at 1500 metres, encountering no enemy aircraft or flak” Mattheus continued.

Name:	IMG_6840.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	195705

“It was difficult to accurately navigate in the darkness” admitted Leutnant Achilles, “but as dawn was breaking I saw the Baizieux airfield some three kilometres to port.”

Name:	IMG_6846.jpg 
Size:	197.6 KB 
ID:	195706

”I brought the Kette around and we descended to just over 600 metres” reported Leutnant Mattheus. “As we approached from north-north-west I could make out eight aircraft lined up on the field, mostly Sopwiths. At 0730hrs we commenced the attack diving down line abreast to less than 400 metres, using the trees to cover our approach.”

Name:	IMG_6847.jpg 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	195707

“I fired a long burst into a Sopwith, setting it alight” said Mattheus, “and Leutnants Achilles and Bastian dropped their bombs.”

“My bombs burst around two aircraft with one catching fire” stated Leutnant Achilles.

Leutnant Bastian added “My ‘eggs’ and blew the hell out of a Sopwith Camel right in front of the line of buildings. It started to smoke.”

Name:	IMG_6848.jpg 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	195708

“We passed over the airfield at full throttle strafing the next line of Sopwiths” continued Leutnant Mattheus.

Name:	IMG_6852.jpg 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	195709

Leutnant Achilles reported “As I crossed the airfield I started taking fire for the first time from an enemy machine gun at the western edge.” The officer took a long drag on his cigarette, casually exhaling before continuing. “I fired a burst at the muzzle flash and the gun fell silent.”

Name:	IMG_6855.jpg 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	195710

“As the Kette reached the far side of the aircraft we each performed Immelmanns to reverse course and regain some height before making a second pass. I fired a burst into a DH.5 on the western edge of the field and Leutnant Achilles shot up a Sopwith.”

Name:	IMG_6856.jpg 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	195711

“As I came back across the field I fired at one of the burning Sopwiths but my verdammte Maxims jammed” cursed Leutnant Achilles. “Remind me to have a talk to the armourers when we are done here” he said with no small degree of menace.

“I put another burst into the Sopwith at the end of the field and it just came apart” said Leutnant Bastian excitedly, “Most satisfying!”

“As I finished off another Sopwith at the eastern end of the row I saw one of the DH.5s taxiing onto the field trying to take off” reported Mattheus.

Name:	IMG_6857.jpg 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	195712

“By this time the Tommies had come alive and I saw parties trying to put out the flames on some of the burning aircraft” he continued.

Name:	IMG_6858.jpg 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	195713

“It was then I saw a Sopwith start up and begin to turn towards the east end of the strip. I lined him up and released my bombs, both of which landed square on their mark. The aircraft exploded into matchwood” Mattheus reported. “I pity the poor devil in the cockpit.”

“Well whilst you are pitying him, save some for me” rebuked Paul Achilles, “It seems another Englander took a dislike to me and stitched up my Albatros with his Lewis gun!”

Name:	IMG_6859.jpg 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	195714

“I saw another MG open fire and engaged the emplacement” said Leutnant Bastian, adding confidently “I am sure I hit at least some of the crew.”

“I also took a burst which caused significant damage but unlike Werner here my return fire went wide” admitted Mattheus.

“I don’t care what you say, I was still definitely their favourite” complained Achilles. “The gun at the western end of the field damaged my starboard aileron causing me no end of trouble.”

Name:	IMG_6860.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	195715

“One of them got me as well when I was pulling away from the airfield” said Bastian, “A parting shot as it were.”

Name:	IMG_6863.jpg 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	195716

“As I climbed away I counted three destroyed aircraft and two more damaged on the airfield” reported Mattheus “but one DH5 and a Sopwith had made it up and a second Sopwith was about to take off.”

“I saw that one and was about to do something about it when another burst from the ground ripped through my tail and jammed the rudder” grumbled Leutnant Achilles. “Lucky bastard.”

Name:	IMG_6866.jpg 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	195719

“The aerial fight began east of the airfield as the Britischers clawed for height” recalled Mattheus. “Three of them and three of us.”

Name:	IMG_6867.jpg 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	195720

"I was chasing the DH.5 which reversed back towards me. We both fired and I saw my rounds hit his machine. My Albatros was also damaged and the controls became heavy" reported Leutnant Bastian.

Name:	IMG_6870.jpg 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	195721

"I also found myself head to head with one of the Sopwiths" said Leutnant Mattheus "and our bullets also found their marks." He added "I believe my burst hit the pilot though, I saw his machine rise sharply."

Name:	IMG_6871.jpg 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	195723

"I actually managed to get behind my quarry," Leutnant Achilles raised his hands to show his position to the enemy. "I was in a lovely position, beautiful. I thought to myself 'Now I have you' - except the Maxims I had just cleared only fired a handful of rounds before they jammed...again!!" He stood up and stubbed out his cigarette. "I think I really need to have a word with the armourer."

"Sit down Paul" said Mattheus, putting his hand on his friend's shoulder, "we will have the guns checked. And don't worry, the way this war is going you will have many more chances to shoot down a Tommy or two."

Name:	IMG_6872.jpg 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	195722 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6873.jpg 
Size:	153.4 KB 
ID:	195724

"Where were we?" asked Mattheus. "Ah yes, that's right, I sideslipped in beside the Camel with the wounded pilot and put a burst across his cowl."

Name:	IMG_6878.jpg 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	195725 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6879.jpg 
Size:	161.7 KB 
ID:	195726

"The battle became a series of turning fights" continued Leutnant Mattheus, "in which the enemy has a definite advantage."

"I found that out first hand" admitted Leutnant Bastian "when the Sopwith turned inside me and hammered my kite."

Name:	IMG_6883.jpg 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	195728

"Fortunately we had the altitude advantage and eventually we were able to concentrate on one enemy" Mattheus stated.

Name:	IMG_6884.jpg 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	195729

"Leutnant Bastian approached the Sopwith head to head and caused me some consternation" Mattheus said pointedly, "particularly about the time he COLLIDED with the enemy aircraft!"

"In my defense I have not had that many hours on the Albatros, it is much faster than the Pfalz!" protested Bastian. "And besides it was just a glancing blow, no damage done."

"More by good luck than good management Werner, you must be more careful. I will not be there to save your skin every time."

"Your deflection burst was well timed Willi" interjected Leutnant Achilles, "it shredded the Sopwith and sent it down in pieces."

Name:	IMG_6885.jpg 
Size:	171.2 KB 
ID:	195730

"By this time our ammunition and fuel were running short so I indicated with a green flare it was time to head for home" said Leutnant Mattheus as he concluded his report.

Name:	IMG_6890.jpg 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	195732

"I had one last chance to engage the other Sopwith" added Leutnant Bastian. "My first burst was wide..."

Name:	IMG_6891.jpg 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	195731

...but my second shot up his rudder and he broke off the pursuit."

The Unteroffizier finished his typing and tore the report from the rollers. He stood to attention and presented the document to the Staffelführer with a click of his heels.

"Well done gentlemen. Three enemy aircraft destroyed on the ground, at least two more badly damaged and one shot down, all for for no loss" summarised the Staffelführer shaking the hands of his officers. "You are to be congratulated. Off to breakfast with you now, and consider yourselves excused from flying duties for the rest of the day. I am sure our hosts here at Boistrancourt are eager to hear of your exploits and will be happy to buy the drinks."

"Danke, Herr Oberleutnant!" was the unanimous reply!
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-10-2016 at 04:55. Reason: Update AAR

Default AAR OTTED Caught with their Pants Down! (Kaiser's Eagles) 30/10/2017 - Carl Brisgamer

Casualty Report (aka the Butcher's Bill)

Entente (The Bulldogs)

Name:	IMG_6893.jpg 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	195755

RFC Sopwith Camel, unknown pilot (shot down by Ltn. Willi Mattheus)
    EXP FT / WIA / 0 kills
    Crash & Wounds: Rolled 4 -1 WIA -3 EXP = 0 Killed in Action (Dead!)

Name:	IMG_6901.jpg 
Size:	183.1 KB 
ID:	195752

RNAS Sopwith Camel, unknown pilot (destroyed on the ground whilst taxiing by Ltn. Willi Mattheus)
    EXP / FT / 0 kills
    Crash & Wounds: Rolled 4 -3 EXP = 1 Killed in Action (Dead!)

Name:	IMG_6900.jpg 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	195753

RNAS Sopwith Camel, unknown pilot
    RTB / 0 kills

Name:	IMG_6897.jpg 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	195754

AFC Airco DH.5, unknown pilot
    RTB / 0 kills

Central Powers (The Kaiser's Eagles)

Name:	IMG_6904.jpg 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	195750

Albatros D.Va, Leutnant Willi Mattheus
    RTB / 1 kill (shot down RFC Sopwith Camel)

Name:	IMG_6905.jpg 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	195749

Albatros D.Va, Leutnant Paul Achilles
    RTB / 0 kills

Name:	IMG_6903.jpg 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	195751

Albatros D.Va Leutnant Werner Bastian
    RTB / 0 kills
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-07-2016 at 07:22.

I get it Carl. Watch this space

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Smile

Great story to start the mission Carl. Those chaps are certainly enjoying their new billet!

I'm curious.

Nice prelude.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    I get it Carl. Watch this space
    Definitely will be doing just that ...

The background to this mission allowed me to shift the 'See Adler Staffel' to a different sector of the front. Jasta 5 was unusual in that they stayed at Boistrancourt for an entire year 1917-1918. Compared to other units that moved about living under canvas it would have been a very luxurious lifestyle.

I will try and upload the results tonight.

Certainly handed it out to the poor Tommy that time Carl ! M's kill noted.

"He is wise who watches"

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nice one and a good variation on the mission. See you in the Bitter End.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Certainly handed it out to the poor Tommy that time Carl ! M's kill noted.
    The Boche were actually quite lucky to get away with no losses - Mattheus took 10 points of damage and the others 8 each. After Mattheus shot down the Camel they were on the eastern edge of the map and it seemed like the time was right to head for home.

I did not take the zero damage cards out of the A deck for the ground attack part of scenario, but I did give the Eagles the 'shooting from higher' +1 bonus on their numbered damage cards.

The Tommies suffered from my inability to roll higher than 4 for the crash and wounds - I need to stop using my good 'Squad Leader' d6's!

I hope I did the Butcher's Bill correctly this time Dave.

Looking forward to the start of 'The Bitter End'.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 05-08-2016 at 01:26.

Thumbs up

Well flown Carl! Your See Fligers did well that time.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well flown Carl! Your See Fligers did well that time.
    Thanks Barry. The card fall particularly for the bombs was very lucky. It was good to use some obscure rules like putting out aircraft fires on the ground.

Looking forward to starting the 'Bitter End'.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    The Boche were actually quite lucky to get away with no losses - Mattheus took 10 points of damage and the others 8 each. After Mattheus shot down the Camel they were on the eastern edge of the map and it seemed like to time was right to head for home.....I hope I did the Butcher's Bill correctly this time Dave...
    The damage can start to add up quickly as the AAMG activate and you have to pick your moment to bug out or you could be in trouble, looks like you got it right ! Tally looks spot on mate, keep it up.

"He is wise who watches"

Hi Dave,

Do you assign names for AI pilot casualties?

If an AI is particularly lucky and gets a few kills can they receive ace skills?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Hi Dave,
    Do you assign names for AI pilot casualties? If an AI is particularly lucky and gets a few kills can they receive ace skills?
    As you didn't assign the names I passed you the other day to the AAR I took it that you'd hit a squadron other than the Bulldogs !
    When we get into the campaign proper you'll have your opposition flight that you assign to your enemy aircraft They will receive credit for kills in the form of medals & ace skills, if they live long enough, the same as your AI pilots flying in a mission do... Ah...!
    I have just realised that it may not have been clear to the new players that it is usual, unless stated otherwise in the scenario, that you only fly as one of your pilots in a mission, everything else is handled by the AI.
    You can chop and change between which pilot you are from mission to mission as you like, or, take over another if yours is downed during a mission (that happens to me lot !).
    The reason for this is to remove the rather Godlike overview & response of a player in a game as well as to neatly represent the lack of communication between aircraft once the solids hit the fan.
    At the end you work out the tally for all the pilots, both yours and your enemy & I'll add the result to the roster.
    I have added a line to the rules to clarify this so thanks for the query Carl.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    As you didn't assign the names I passed you the other day to the AAR I took it that you'd hit a squadron other than the Bulldogs !
    When we get into the campaign proper you'll have your opposition flight that you assign to your enemy aircraft They will receive credit for kills in the form of medals & ace skills, if they live long enough, the same as your AI pilots flying in a mission do... Ah...!
    I have just realised that it may not have been clear to the new players that it is usual, unless stated otherwise in the scenario, that you only fly as one of your pilots in a mission, everything else is handled by the AI.
    You can chop and change between which pilot you are from mission to mission as you like, or, take over another if yours is downed during a mission (that happens to me lot !).
    The reason for this is to remove the rather Godlike overview & response of a player in a game as well as to neatly represent the lack of communication between aircraft once the solids hit the fan.
    At the end you work out the tally for all the pilots, both yours and your enemy & I'll add the result to the roster.
    I have added a line to the rules to clarify this so thanks for the query Carl.
    Thanks Dave, I will bone up on this aspect of the campaign.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 08:02
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2015, 10:06
  3. AAR Mission 13 Caught with their Pants down
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 03:37
  4. AAR Mission 13 Caught with their pants down. (The Bulldogs)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 01:44
  5. AAR Caught with their pants down (Marechallannes - Entente)
    By Marechallannes in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 01:50