Ares Games
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WGF - If you got to pick ONE reprint?

Series 7: Bristol F2B - concur with Ken's selection of Capt Alfred Atkey, of DH4 fame (38 victories) & Charles Gass (39 victories - 29 with Atkey),

I will suggest Lt Keith Park of 48 Sqn (20 victories) and his first observer 2Lt Arthur Noss (9 victories) who both received the MC for their quadruple victory in the same action against 8 Albatros D.III on 17th Aug 1917 flying in A7182.
    Keith Park was promoted to major and led 48 Sqn - and became Air Chief Marshal Sir Keith Rodney Park GCB, KBE, MC & Bar, DFC of WW2 fame leading fighter command in the Battle of Britain.

In addition I would suggest Lt Ralph Curtis (13 victories) & usual observer 2Lt Desmond Uniacke (13 victories) of 48 Sqn who fell to Goering's guns in September 1917 if anyone would like to nominate them !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Series 8 - Nieuport 28 - Lt Douglas Campbell of 94th Aero - the first American trained pilot to score 5 victories, credited with 6 in all, WIA in the last contact, he didn't get back in time for further action
    Douglas Campbell (centre) poses with fellow 94th Aero Squadron aviators Eddie Rickenbacker (l.) and Kenneth Marr (r.).

He flew 'white 10'

Page 3 update with latest additions:
    Series 1 SPAD XIII
    Esc. 169, Hay de Slade (Teaticket)
    Calabria (Marechallannes)
    Sopwith Camel
    Jordon (Shadowcat)
    MacLaren (Capt. Chum)
    Mantel (flash)
    Albatros D.Va (D.V also?)
    Jasta 69, Bohning (Boney10)
    Jasta 18, Monnington (Stumptonian)
    Jasta 40, Dilthey (greenalfonzo)
    Jasta 5, Wolff (Teaticket)
    Fokker F.I/Dr.I
    Voss (BB401)
    Jasta 11, Mohnicke (flash)
    Jacobs, 450/17 early "art" (Capt. Chum)
    Jacobs, 450/17 late "plain" (Nachtschwarmer)
    Series 2 Sopwith Snipe
    No. 43 Sq., King (flash)
    Fokker D.VII
    JG nr II, Berthold (Teaticket)
    Airco DH4
    N0. 202 Sq. c/n N9557 (flash)
    LFG Roland C.II
    Series 5 Morane-Saulnier N
    Bayetto - flash
    Airco DH2
    29 Sq, McCudden (flash)
    Fokker E.III
    Boelcke - flash
    Halberstadt D.II
    Jasta 4, Bernert (Teaticket)
    Series 6 Sopwith Tripe Hanriot HD.1
    De Meulemeester (flash)
    Coppens camo (Old guy)
    Aviatik D.I SSW D.III
    Udet (Dom S)
    Series 7 SPAD VII
    Pinsard (Teaticket)
    Kennedy-Cochran-Patrick (flash)
    Boyau (Shadowcat)
    Albatros D.II (D.I also?)
    Student (flash)
    Bristol F.2B
    Atkey? & Gass (Shadowcat)
    No 48 Sq, Park & Noss, A7182 (flash)
    Halberstadt CL.II
    Schlasta 15, Huffzky & Ehmann - flash
    Series 8 Nieuport 28
    94th AS, Campbell (flash)
    Fokker E.V/D.VIII Macchi M.5 Hannover CL.IIIa
    Specials Caproni Ca.3 Gotha G.V H-P O/400 Zeppelin Staaken R.VI
    Banned From Participating gully_raker

Come on, people, why are you letting THAT GUY have all the fun?! :P
    Last edited by Diamondback; 06-05-2016 at 11:14.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

For a quick no-brainer one, I'm really surprised that nobody's mentioned the most well-known of all SSW D.IIIs. Yes, he's a pilot that's not only been done before as a Wings Of War / Glory model, but done twice, but his D.VII has long since been and gone, while his Albatros was not only picked for the reprint, but is the one that's already sold out again, so it shouldn't be a problem.... Udet has to be in with a shout for the SSW.

http://www.cbrnp.com/profiles/quarte...i-udet-600.jpg

Dom, I've long thought that for long-term survival, especially as we approach the end of viable sculpts, Wings is going to have to start focusing more on "Meat" than "Machinery," shifting to a focus of telling the stories of the great aces and their opponents by filling out representative samples of each type they flew over their careers. We'll never see a distinct mini for each of Richthofen's 80 shootdowns, but we CAN and MIGHT get each ace's notable encounters--other aces who they beat, the pilots who bested them and even just inconclusive encounters like the Udet-Guynemers "Draw". Filling out the rosters of notable units at specific times like Jasta 11 as Richthofen's Circus, or Boelcke's Jasta 2, or Collishaw's Black Flight, or the Aces of No. 56 Squadron who dogpiled Voss, might also be another possibility.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Dom, I've long thought that for long-term survival, especially as we approach the end of viable sculpts, Wings is going to have to start focusing more on "Meat" than "Machinery," shifting to a focus of telling the stories of the great aces and their opponents by filling out representative samples of each type they flew over their careers. We'll never see a distinct mini for each of Richthofen's 80 shootdowns, but we CAN and MIGHT get each ace's notable encounters--other aces who they beat, the pilots who bested them and even just inconclusive encounters like the Udet-Guynemers "Draw". Filling out the rosters of notable units at specific times like Jasta 11 as Richthofen's Circus, or Boelcke's Jasta 2, or Collishaw's Black Flight, or the Aces of No. 56 Squadron who dogpiled Voss, might also be another possibility.
    Yes I always thought the Duel series should concentrate on two Aces/Aircraft that actually did duel.

Hawker & MvR, McCudden & Voss, Udet & Guynemier etc. etc.

Barry, you start the Brainstorming thread, and I'll code the tables.

Series 2 - Sopwith Snipe - Ares can either expand their Aussie squadron, or, they can visit 43 sqn RAF next time out with Capt Cecil Frederick King, DFC,MC,CdG; 22 victories, 3 in Snipe (E8031) and shared the first Snipe victory on 27th Sep1918 with Lt Charles Chaplin "Sandy" Banks DFC, MC; 13 victories, 3 in Snipe (E8028)

Capt C.F.King - kfa aged 19yrs.
    http://www.chelmsfordwarmemorial.co....frederick.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_C._Banks

43 Sqn had 11 victories in Snipes, many more in Camels.

So I will take the liberty to put both these chaps up for consideration.
    Last edited by flash; 05-25-2016 at 11:18.

Lightbulb

This one is a "must" for the SE 5a reprint along with McCudden's Red Nosed "G" & Mannock's "A"

SE 5a S/No. A8918 of Capt Edric W Broadberry 56 Sqd Estree Blanch July 1917.
    Sadly 9th Wing quickly ordered the removal of this & other colourful schemes when they learnt of them.
    More scheme details in the Colour Plate info in Ospreys Aviation Elite Series on 56 Sqd by Alex Revell.

WW1 Cpt Edric Broadberry's SE 5a.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    This one is a "must" for the SE 5a reprint along with McCudden's Red Nosed "G" & Mannock's "A"

SE 5a S/No. A8918 of Capt Edric W Broadberry 56 Sqd Estree Blanch July 1917.
    Sadly 9th Wing quickly ordered the removal of this & other colourful schemes when they learnt of them.
    More scheme details in the Colour Plate info in Ospreys Aviation Elite Series on 56 Sqd by Alex Revell.

WW1 Cpt Edric Broadberry's SE 5a.jpg
    No Reada Da Ingles too good, do you, Barry?
    No, I'm about ready to say the next person who even MENTIONS That Plane gets their votes thrown out.

Congratulations, you just volunteered to be the first one tossed out of here on his ear! What part of "NOT Series 3 OR 4" are people too thick-headed to understand?!

Congratulations, you just volunteered to be the first one tossed out of here on his ear! What part of "NOT Series 3 OR 4" are people too thick-headed to understand?!
    You know, this thread has been going on with a number of sidetrips; a little slack might be in order.
    Maybe you need to put in the title {NO series 3 or 4} ?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

If I could I would've long ago--but given that I specifically list EVERYTHING BUT Series 3/4 in the initial post...

Gamer Selective Illiteracy's ability to astound me is rivaled only by its ability to p*ss me off, it seems. Maybe we should just nuke tis one and start over from scratch. Or maybe I should just cut my losses and abandon y'all to whatever you get.

Smile

Guilty as Charged Sir!
    This thread has gotten so big I forgot the original rules!

Wow, I didn't realize how personal a thread could get. I agree that after three pages of posts perhaps putting your restrictions as part of the title would have been a better option. At least in hind-sight.

Sorry, guys, guess it goes back to a pet peeve: at least once a day I have to clean up the mess because some boneheaded mental midget couldn't be bothered to RTFM before trying to operate hardware that is obviously much smarter than they are.

I'll copy the table with current nominations and the OP then ask Keith to nuke this one Monday evening.

I think it's deliberate Db.... just to see if your head will explode...! Wouldn't it just be easier to include series 3 and 4 ?!
    Retires to cover as smoke starts to emanate from ears ...

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I think it's deliberate Db.... just to see if your head will explode...! Wouldn't it just be easier to include series 3 and 4 ?!
    Retires to cover as smoke starts to emanate from ears ...
    *commences high-speed-low-drag insertion of steeltoe tactical boot into flash's alimentary canal* "Ah, that's better."

The point was, Ares hasn't re-tooled Series 4 yet, they're only in early stages on Series 3, and the point was to look at things they in theory COULD do quick and easy with assets already in-hand to maintain market presence. Yes, it woulda been easier to Open Season everything including the Ni.16 and Caquot, but that wasn't the point.

Interesting thread, here's my 2 cents worth

http://www.wwiaviation.com/popup/Han...pens-1917.html

Coppens camo Hanriot.

And a USAS 185th Camel. Could find no picture of one, but they were a night fighter Squadron active from Oct. 1918

*commences high-speed-low-drag insertion of steeltoe tactical boot into flash's alimentary canal* "Ah, that's better."
    The point was, Ares hasn't re-tooled Series 4 yet, they're only in early stages on Series 3, and the point was to look at things they in theory COULD do quick and easy with assets already in-hand to maintain market presence. Yes, it woulda been easier to Open Season everything including the Ni.16 and Caquot, but that wasn't the point.
    Only thinking of your health Db - suggested it to prevent you stroking out every time someone got it 'wrong'.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Old guy View Post
    Interesting thread, here's my 2 cents worth

http://www.wwiaviation.com/popup/Han...pens-1917.html

Coppens camo Hantiot.
    I'll buy that one What a beauty

Thread split for closure.

If you want to talk SE5's, please take it to http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...SE5-5a-Edition
    For Other Than Series 4/Balloon Busters, please go to http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...usters-Edition

Mods, please split this thread, lock and nuke.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. A nice pick up
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 05:33
  2. Pick and Pluck foam order?
    By Rat of Vengence in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 21:51
  3. Pick the Camel profile for the T-shirt!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-13-2011, 03:40
  4. Pick the Dr.I profile for the first T-shirt!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 07:48
  5. How do you pick your plane?
    By chub in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-07-2010, 11:55