Ares Games

Thread: Litko and super glue

Default Litko and super glue

Well... I've said I am neither a modeler nor painter before. Apparently I can't even glue simple things.

I order server AA, Flames, Planes, etc. from Litko. After getting glue everywhere, shirt, pans and of course all over the models themselves I was quite proud until I went back only a few hours later.

Not they are covered in a white chalky substance/film. It is all over the flame markers. Not as bad on the wreckage. It even on the Plano box I use to store stuff in. How did it get there?

I guess Gorilla or Super glue is not the best thing to use for acrylics? Why is my Plano box getting the same film?

AFAIK the 'frosting' is the residue from the superglue fumes as they evaporate, think of the way they get fingerprints in CSI for example.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
    AFAIK the 'frosting' is the residue from the superglue fumes as they evaporate, think of the way they get fingerprints in CSI for example.

Tony
    Argh.....

lock tight superglue gell works great for the right applications (ie quick repairs, glueing dissimilar materials, od shapes where clamping isnt an option) its not so great for other tasks. id recomend elmers for anything that you can glue and let sit.

For clear parts I've had good results with this glue from Testors.

Ken,
    for clear parts (ie canopies) simple PVA (white glue) is sufficient.

You can coat the clear canopy in Future (acrylic floor polish) and then use CA without issues of 'frosting'. Future also makes the canopy clearer!

Super glue" frosting" is very common. There is no easy way to glue plastics with super glue without getting this effect. The best way I have found is to dissipate the fumes as best you can. This may involve setting the glued item in front of a fan at low speed. Believe it or not it works. You can always simply blow on it from time to time, just as long as you are doing one piece at a time or you may pass out! One last thing, use as little as possible, over-loading will make the "frosting" worse. I hope this helps.

Miscellaneous Miniatures
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Kevin
    Sorties Flown

I second pbhawkin's point. When I'm using super-glue on clear parts, I first coat the parts with Future Acrylic Floor Polish (aka Pledge with Future). I scrape away the Future at the points of contact and then use a thick/gap filling super-glue as opposed to a thin/fast drying super-glue.

Water bath can make the frosting less, but it's still there. Coating with nail varnish afterwards can lessen the effect too. Different mechanisms, one causes a chemical change, the other fills in gaps.

Lightbulb

I have found Araldite 2 pac epoxy works well on acrylics & no blooming or white residue.

Another question. If you let them air out, as ugly as they are, will they damage anything else. The box I originally kept them in has a white film so I don't want to hurt/scare any other items.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Another question. If you let them air out, as ugly as they are, will they damage anything else. The box I originally kept them in has a white film so I don't want to hurt/scare any other items.
    I think once the super glue has set up and is no longer giving off that gas that fogs things up, they won't fog anything else.

The foggy film, also know as frosting, comes off and stays off

Well my wife just took a paper towel, dipped it in Nail Polish Remover and voila.

We let it sit for a few days and not a sign of fogging. Put back away for weeks, back in the storage case, and still no fogging. Yeah

So even if you use the wrong glue as I did. I bit of Nail Polish Remover and you're still good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    The foggy film, also know as frosting, comes off and stays off

Well my wife just took a paper towel, dipped it in Nail Polish Remover and voila.

We let it sit for a few days and not a sign of fogging. Put back away for weeks, back in the storage case, and still no fogging. Yeah

So even if you use the wrong glue as I did. I bit of Nail Polish Remover and you're still good to go.
    Great tip; many thanks for that!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Thanks Ken, that is very useful information.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I've been gluing my Litko explosions and other 'effects' together with Elmer's all-purpose white glue, and it has worked fine. But the 'remover' knowledge to be used with Super Glue is nice to know!

All the best,
    Matt

Aren't wives/ girlfriends wonderful.
    They come up with all manner of useful articles from Hair dryers, through cotton buds, mascara brushes, bobby pins, reels of thread, nail varnish and nail varnish remover, to baby wipes, for all manner of modelling uses.
    God bless the ladies.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Aren't wives/ girlfriends wonderful.
    They come up with all manner of useful articles from Hair dryers, through cotton buds, mascara brushes, bobby pins, reels of thread, nail varnish and nail varnish remover, to baby wipes, for all manner of modelling uses.
    God bless the ladies.
    Rob.
    They don't realize how deeply involved into our hobby they are!

Similar Missions

1. best glue for sticking a wing back on ?
    By Colmanspig in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-26-2024, 00:23
  2. Homemade Super Glue applicator
    By miscmini in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-28-2014, 08:44
  3. New Products, Altitude Glue and Display Hangars
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 22:01
  4. Altitude Glue re-stock?