Ares Games

Thread: DH2's Company ... Three's a Crowd !

Default DH2's Company ... Three's a Crowd !

This is a little three on one action prompted by Ken's query about whether MvR v three DH2's would be a good game.
    It's not MvR, it's Kurt Student and to keep things simple this time about I haven't used any ace skills. Let us start with the opening salvo as Kurt drops out of a cloud onto the three DH2 od Hawker, Andrews and Saundby
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_7545.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	195254

Kurt does better after he blasts through the Tommy formation and hauls his crate round catching Hawker as he passes in the opposite direction doing the same - the rudder damage comes in useful

Name:	SAM_7547.JPG 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	195255

Kurt gets behind all of them again

Name:	SAM_7548.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	213.5 KB 
ID:	195256

He then reverses his turn in an effort to get onto Hawker once more; he has had to reverse his turn due to his damaged rudder

Name:	SAM_7549.JPG 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	195257

Andrews puts a scare into Kurt but no damage done

Name:	SAM_7550.JPG 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	195258

Hawker Immels but Kurt has already turned away to avoid getting the others on his tail

Name:	SAM_7551.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	195259

As he rolls back around Kurt exchanges lead with Hawker and comes off very second best..

Name:	SAM_7552.JPG 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	195260

It distracts his so much he runs into Saundby causing them both damage and enough to send Saundby back to the barn

Name:	SAM_7553.JPG 
Size:	189.0 KB 
ID:	195261

Saundby makes good on the separation and heads for home as Kurt wheels round once more

Name:	SAM_7554.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	196.1 KB 
ID:	195262

As Kurt bores in Hawker pulls round to the right and slips past whilst Andrews goes long and Immels & has a sneaky crack as Kurt passes his nose

Name:	SAM_7555.JPG 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	195263

Kurt Immels as Andrews gets out of his way and Hawker lines up for another pass

Name:	SAM_7556.JPG 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	195264

Hawker runs long and Immels avoiding Kurts guns and dropping almost onto his wingtip as he turns right. The close range burst cannot miss and Kurt feels a blow to his arm - just a flesh wound !

Name:	SAM_7557.JPG 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	195265

They dance around each other, each avoiding the other's guns as Andrews runs back into play

Name:	SAM_7559.JPG 
Size:	226.5 KB 
ID:	195266

As they scissor back they meet head to head once again - the twin spandaus ripping through the nacelle of the DH2 and striking Hawker hard. His Lewis stutters briefly in reply and also finds its mark lancing rounds through poor Kurt's chest...and down he goes.

Name:	SAM_7560.JPG 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	195267

Butchers Tally:

Kurt Student: SD / 2 WIA / 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_7561.JPG 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	195268

Lanoe Hawker RTB / WIA / 1 Kill
    John Andrews & Robert Saundby (not pictured) RTB / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_7562.JPG 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	195269

I piloted the luckless or is that hapless Kurt Student, all others were AI driven using my solo charts and Alt rules, some OTT rules also applied. Was it fun - yeah, I'd say so, a challenge certainly and there's space for ace skills too.
    Thanks for the idea Ken, very playable & a little less busy than the three on three version.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

That is great. I was hoping this would work. I'm glad the 3v1 wasn't a total blow out but fun.

I have a couple of questions? Did you use Zoe's Altitude Rules? So far I haven't used any altitude rules. The base game seems to take forever to change and Zoe's rules looks like nearly all planes would use the same climb rate of 1 peg up on climb 2 pegs down on dive. If you, mostly, ignore climb rates then all planes are about the same except now it's easier to use altitude. Would it be best to PM?

Also what are OTT rules.
    Last edited by Ken at Sunrise; 05-02-2016 at 11:50. Reason: Edited to remove Firing question: Remembered your earlier answer

Looks like a fun little game. Will have to try it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    ....I have a couple of questions? Did you use Zoe's Altitude Rules? So far I haven't used any altitude rules. The base game seems to take forever to change and Zoe's rules looks like nearly all planes would use the same climb rate of 1 peg up on climb 2 pegs down on dive. If you, mostly, ignore climb rates then all planes are about the same except now it's easier to use altitude. Would it be best to PM? Also what are OTT rules.
    I have my own Alt rules that are similar but not the same as Zoes, you should find them in the files still and you can see them in the last post of the OTT Bitter End Campaign Rules here
    (OTT=Over The Trenches - solo campaigning in its own sub-forum in Campaign Discussions)

3 on 1 is fun . I did 1 DR1 verses 3 Se5s . I lost but battle lasted about an 3/4 hour and was a lot of fun. Going to try it again soon I hope

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    3 on 1 is fun . I did 1 DR1 verses 3 Se5s . I lost but battle lasted about an 3/4 hour and was a lot of fun. Going to try it again soon I hope
    Sounds like a replay of "Voss' Last Stand"!

LOOP

Missed this one Dave Must pay more attention
    Well no damaged done. Found it now.

Great little fight. Great DII to
    Enjoyed it very much

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    That sounds like a fun senario. I think I will give that one a go
    Thanks for the tip Darell.

Glad you found it P-G, it's worth a go.

LOOP

Only got two DH2s but I can spice it up with an N17.
    Like the concept of three vs one.

Good job like the pictures and story

Well done again. I like the idea of pitting Manfred against odds. I am currently repainting an early series DR.1 (red 425/17) into the 477/17 and am thinking of sending him up against a recon with scout support group.

Similar Missions

1. A company that really knows how to make amends
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-10-2014, 00:42
  2. WGFF: In The Company of Eagles
    By flash in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 02:54
  3. Favorite Company for 1/144 WW2 planes
    By skyking20 in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 18:41
  4. So the new faster planes before ME-110 and company?
    By P-51D in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-30-2012, 15:08
  5. SE5a serial number/ company question
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-25-2011, 02:01