Ares Games

Thread: Smelly Shapeways FUD airplanes

Default Smelly Shapeways FUD airplanes

I have two FUD Shapeways airplanes that have an odd smell to them. I have washed the models with dishwashing soap and water, but they still have an odor about them. Has anyone experienced this and do you have ideas on how to remove it?
    So how many books are in your personal library?

No ideas here, my FUD's have been fine.

I've heard people cleaning them with ultrasonic toothbrushes and various cleaning mixtures, though personally I haven't tried anything but detergent and warm water. But I'm going to guess that once the miniature is primed you won't be able to detect an odor (other than primer).

I've got a box of these that really pong! Don't know the exact process used, but the smell emanates from some sort of oil(?) used in the print process.

As Foz says, a good wash in warm water and detergent followed by an undercoat resolves the problem, BUT if you have an open cockpit plane it is essential to completely remove the oil from inside of the plane. If you don't do this it eventually seeps out and compromises the paintwork.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    I've got a box of these that really pong! Don't know the exact process used, but the smell emanates from some sort of oil(?) used in the print process.

As Foz says, a good wash in warm water and detergent followed by an undercoat resolves the problem, BUT if you have an open cockpit plane it is essential to completely remove the oil from inside of the plane. If you don't do this it eventually seeps out and compromises the paintwork.
    Really? I never heard anything about this about FUD.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Similar Missions

1. National: Compatibility of Airplanes.
    By garchilajr in forum US Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 03:19
  2. sports car of first war airplanes
    By bmwrider in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-03-2014, 17:00
  3. Lego my airplanes!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 11:36
  4. Preview new airplanes