Ares Games

Thread: ME 262 flying in Canada.

Smile ME 262 flying in Canada.

Found this nice shot of a ME 262 flying at a recent Canadian Air Show.

Enjoy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW2 ME 262 CWH Air show Canada.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	194796

One really gets a sense of awe in the sheer accomplishment of this beautiful sculpture of cutting edge technology and design, makes me wonder if it would have been conceived without the demand of such an evil cause. Hmmm . . .

Beautiful!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

it is a beautiful (though deadly) bird!!!1

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I've always liked the lines of the Schwalbe - what an iconic jet...

All the best,
    Matt

Nice photograph, Barry!

Excellent photo. Lovely lines!

Great photo - thanks for posting it.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    One really gets a sense of awe in the sheer accomplishment of this beautiful sculpture of cutting edge technology and design, makes me wonder if it would have been conceived without the demand of such an evil cause. Hmmm . . .
    One gets a sense of where they got the fuselage design if one puts it in ZG76 colors.... :P

The "(though deadly)" part is right. Have they fixed the landing issues on these repros?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Nice , do you where in Canada?
    The CWH Air Show where ever that was held.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The swept wing design of the 262 fed directly into the development of the F86 Sabre, which did a splendid job defending liberty.

Whatever it's original purpose technology is of itself not good or evil, it just is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    The swept wing design of the 262 fed directly into the development of the F86 Sabre, which did a splendid job defending liberty.

Whatever it's original purpose technology is of itself not good or evil, it just is.
    Indeed, I agree, I am always in awe of the interconnectedness of history past, present, future . . . quantum mechanics is where its at! Where did my cat go? Schrodinger still has it, I hope . . .

A great shot to show off its lines.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post

Swept-wings were known well before the -262 -- in fact, I believe OldGuy59's avatar illustrates this.

As to the morality: A Thing has no will of its own -- it does what a Person tells it. (One could as easily argue B-17s are "evil" because KG200 used them; it isn't as tho' the -17s had a choice.)

Here are two photos I took last year at Warbirds Over the Beach. Not as close but a sight to see.

Name:	IMG_2227.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	195042

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	195043

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Swept-wings were known well before the -262 -- in fact, I believe OldGuy59's avatar illustrates this.
    I was being specific about the use of 262 tech in the development of the F-86 -

"By 1944, German engineers and designers had established the benefits of swept wings based on experimental designs dating back to 1940. Study of the data showed that a swept wing would solve their speed problem, while a slat on the wing's leading edge that extended at low speeds would enhance low-speed stability. Because development of the XP-86 had reached an advanced stage, the idea of changing the sweep of the wing was met with resistance from some senior North American staff. Despite stiff opposition, after good results were obtained in wind tunnel tests, the swept-wing concept was eventually adopted. Performance requirements were met by incorporating a 35° swept-back wing, using NACA 4-digit modified airfoils, using NACA 0009.5–64 at the root and NACA 0008.5–64 at the tip, with an automatic slat design based on that of the Messerschmitt Me 262 and an electrically adjustable stabilizer, another feature of the Me 262A" Blair, Mac. "Evolution of the F-86" AIAA Evolution of Aircraft Wing Design Symposium, 18 March 1980.

Swept wings had been around for a while but without the 262 research the F-86 may have been a very different aircraft.

Beautiful picture. Thank you Barry
    I hope to see one in real life some time; preferably flying
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks for posting Barry. Beautiful looking plane very nice lines

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 02:19
  2. WGFB: Flying Fury: Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
    By Baldrick62 in forum Book Reviews
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 03:41
  3. Canada day
    By grumpybear in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-02-2011, 03:01