Ares Games

Thread: WWI & WWII Naval wargaming

Default WWI & WWII Naval wargaming

Slightly off topic for this forum, but I thought I'd bring the level of conversation down.... to sea level.
    Who does this, and at what scales?
    Friends & I play Call to Arms for space bits, and Victory at Sea seems a good system (as it's the same).
    Mongoose publish their ships at 1:1800.
    My friend collects WWI in 1:3000, mainly Navwar.

I wondered what the thoughts were of people, firstly in Kent/London so I may be able to get games in, and from the buying community as I may start putting bits together on Shapeways.

WW2 at 1/1200 scale.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    WW2 at 1/1200 scale.
    1:1200? That must be huge. Though impressive. Where do you get your bits?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Gyula
    Sorties Flown

My naval gaming fleets range from the Pre-Dreadnought era through WWII. I use 1/1200 for smaller, 4-6, ship actions and 1/2400 for larger, 8 +, actions.
    I have played SeeKrieig 4, since 1981, for all my games. My 1/2400 fleets are a mix of mainly Superior/ALNAVCO and Panzerschiffe. I also have some GHQ.
    Most of my 1/1200 are from Superior/Alnavco.

Nowadays mostly on ebay and scratchbuilt carriers but I had quite a large collection of coastal stuff from the mid 70's. About 80+.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    1:1200? That must be huge. Though impressive. Where do you get your bits?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Collected a bunch of cheap 1/1800 A&A WWII pre-painted plastic/rubber ships for random scenarios.

1/2400 Panzerschiffe and GHQ ships. Who hasn't done River Platte a dozen times...

Some in my group have migrated to 1/3000.

Rules: Victory at Sea, General Quarters and a home-brewed set.

1/600 Coastal is about my limit, everything from diddy MTBs to the Graf Zeppelin in resin.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

1/3000 WW2 Mediterranean

1/2400 (GHQ) WW2 Pacific, and WW1 North Sea

1/700 WW2 Pacific (with a few bits of 1/720 thrown in)
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    NO SAILS ?
    There were at least two commissioned sailing ships at the time of both WWI & WWII.

I play Navyfield (version 1) an online WW2 naval battle game but it is not historically accurate. http://www.navyfield.com

At Tunbridge Wells we have pre-Dreadnought using Perfidious Albion (1:2400 and 1:1200 - this weekend it's a 1:1200 sci-fi variant with the Home Fleet trying to evacuate Her Majesty Queen Victoria from the Isle of Wight under the heat rays of the Martians ), WWI at 1:2400 using various rules - we are refighting Jutland on the third Sunday in May using in-club rules, and WWII at a variety of scales

Lets see now.

WW1

1/3000 using General Quarters 2
    1/144 using my Wings and Waves of War variant of WGF (aircraft vs. coastal craft)

WW2
    1/3000 using General Quarters 1/2
    1/1200 using GQ or a variant of the old Skytrex WW2 rules (with the diving Ju88 on the cover)
    also 1/1200 coastal using a home grown fast play set
    1/600 big ship actions using the Skytrex rules or the NWS starter set I wrote a few years back
    1/600 coastal using my "Action Stations!" rules, also 1/700 (Pacific coastal games)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

WWII in 1/600 (coastal - Mr Manley's fault....) and 1/1800 (axis and allies) for me. I also have a big pile of 1/700 kits that may or may not one day get built....

Oddly no WWI naval, although the Adriatic campaign has long held a certain fascination for me, ever since finding an excellent book about it in Grimsby public library when I was barely a teenager. I'm sure one day that'll result in something expensive....

Users Country Flag

Name
    John
    Sorties Flown

I'd like to see a WW2 Carrier game based on the Star Wars Armada rules. Maybe even WW1. Don't know much about that though, and in Armada I don't think you actually deploy fighters from ships in any case, so land based fighters might even be easier to explain.

You lot! It's like asking 10 economists for an answer, and getting 12 opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSpy View Post
    I'd like to see a WW2 Carrier game based on the Star Wars Armada rules. Maybe even WW1. Don't know much about that though, and in Armada I don't think you actually deploy fighters from ships in any case, so land based fighters might even be easier to explain.
    That would be quite a good idea, I play Armada, and like the command system for orders. Shields may be an issue too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    WWII in 1/600 (coastal - Mr Manley's fault....) .....
    Something on this site for which I'm quite happy to take the blame for a change

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I guess it's a change from contagions....

My WW2 Pacific fleets are 1/2400. Sails are Valiant 1/2000.

Love the sound of 1/600 Channel & Med scraps... but know little of what's available and worth my time.

Have a soft spot in my heart for pre-dreads, and I'm fighting the urge to grab a number of WTJ's 1/1800 (or larger!) models... they wouldn't fit with my 1/2400 pre-dread & WW1 collection, but they're so darn pretty!

I need to boot up LEGO Digital Designer, and see if I can design _Space:1889_ gunboat minis....

Similar Missions

1. A wargaming (but not WoG) idea/question
    By Mrkev in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-24-2014, 04:21
  2. Southcon wargaming convention
    By Linz in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-15-2011, 20:35
  3. U.S Naval Institute - 100 Years of Naval Aviation
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5