Ares Games

Thread: Prospective pilot peers into recruitment window...

Default Prospective pilot peers into recruitment window...

Hello all! I am looking into starting in with Wings (WWI), and have been enjoying browsing the site this evening. I have delved deeply into studying and war gaming WWII for quite a long time, and now Wings of Glory looks like a fun inroads to add some WWI gaming to my repertoire. I look forward to being part of the Aerodrome community!

Welcome from Orrygun, James.
    "You're gonna like it here."

welcome to the drome James!!!

Hi James - welcome to the 'drome from "over here" in the UK

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You've come to a good place, James - lots of interesting material and people on this forum. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

All the best,
    Matt

Hi and welcome from Alberta, and to the best game and forum in the world

Welcome to the Aerodrome, James. Enjoy!

James, welcome to the Aerodrome! Hopefully you will have local gamers to fly with/against. Its a ways off but in September at Council of Five Nations in Schenectady there will be Wings events to play.

Welcome to the 'Drome, James, from Middlesex in the U.K.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Welcome James from West Yorkshire UK. Fly safe and always watch your six!

Thank you all, I'm looking forward to getting started! I've been looking into starting in with the WWI minis. I am most interested in the single seater fighter planes that were the most iconic/frequently used on the Western Front, and that would also give good variety and fun replayability. Bottom line: I'm looking for a variety of "classics" without dabbling into concept/experimental/limited use planes. Any favorite recommendations for a new player? Right now I'm considering:
    -Spad XIII
    -Sopwith Camel
    -Sopwith Snipe
    -Albatros Dv.a
    -Fokker Dr.I
    -Fokker D.VII

Thoughts?
    Thanks in advance!

Great choices, since these all engaged each other on the Western Front in 1917-18.

The only caveat with regard to timeline is the Snipe, which only saw 48 days combat service at the end of the war. By this time, the Fokker Dr.1 was almost extinct, very few examples remaining in front line service.

-Spad XIII 1917 -1918
    -Sopwith Camel 1917 -1918
    -Sopwith Snipe v. late 1918 only
    -Albatros Dv.a 1917 -1918
    -Fokker Dr.I v. late 1917 - mid 1918
    -Fokker D.VII Apr/May - November 1918

The Fokker DVII and the Snipe are a class above the others.

Go to this link http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Aircraft-lt-lt for great info on the strengths and weaknesses of the various planes.

And so the fun begins!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, James! I checked your list and it looks good.. Stick to it and consider one or two twoseaters - the game has a new dimension with shooting into the rear hemisphere

Welcome James from all the way down in New Zealand.

Your gonna have a blast.

Hi james
    and welcome to a truely global and very friendly group
    May you have many hours and years of safe flying
    Regards
    Maverick

[QUOTE=Encore;401349]Thank you all, I'm looking forward to getting started! I've been looking into starting in with the WWI minis. I am most interested in the single seater fighter planes that were the most iconic/frequently used on the Western Front QUOTE]

This is probably true for any single moment on the Western Front as 2 Seaters generally operated in twos and threes whereas Scouts/Fighters were generally found flying in much larger formations. As to the overall ratio of Single to two seaters there does not seem to be any easy answer.

Thumbs up

G'day James & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the Pilots who fly in N.S.W. down in Australia.
    An amazing amount of info available here to help you enjoy the game.
    Also Keith Upton (Oberst Hajj) who owns the Site runs the Aerodrome Store & can supply minis & lots of other goodies.

Do you have some players lined up to game with you?

Welcome to the Aerodrome, James, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Welcome to you, from Bristol uk

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the 'drone James, from Western Ky. Nice list of planes you are interested in. You really should consider at least one two seater for each side, it will throw the game into a whole new dimension for your fun and enjoyment.

Thanks to all who have replied and given such good advice. Dan-Sam and Setarius, you've given me an interesting thought to consider. Any thoughts on what an iconic/regularly used two seater might be for each side (preferably evenly matched)? Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Encore View Post
    Thanks to all who have replied and given such good advice. Dan-Sam and Setarius, you've given me an interesting thought to consider. Any thoughts on what an iconic/regularly used two seater might be for each side (preferably evenly matched)? Thanks in advance!
    For 1918, RE8 vs Rumpler.

Alternatively, DH4 (Very Fast!) vs Hannover CLIII (Very 'Wiggly'!)

Thank you Flying Helmut, I''l take these into consideration!

As a side question: if I am able to get a Duel Pack does it come with enogh components to use additional planes, or do I also need the Rules and Accessories pack?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I think the duel pack is enough as long as you're just adding "A" gun planes (ie. ones with twin MGs) but it doesn't have a B deck for single guns, amongst other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Encore View Post
    As a side question: if I am able to get a Duel Pack does it come with enough components to use additional planes, or do I also need the Rules and Accessories pack?
    The D.Va vs. Spad VIII duel pack only has basic rules, and A damage deck. It is a great place to start and try the game out, especially if you are going to only use those aircraft. I had that dream once too..

You'll eventually want the B, C and D damage when your collection grows, and the advanced rules open scenario options.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    James, welcome to the Aerodrome! Hopefully you will have local gamers to fly with/against. Its a ways off but in September at Council of Five Nations in Schenectady there will be Wings events to play.
    Thank you - I'm looking forward to getting started! Thank you for the tip, I have heard of the Schenectady group, but have not ventured out to meet them as of yet. I am a HS history teacher, and I run an after school game club. When I began exploring this game, I thought my students will get a lot of enjoyment out of it for sure!

Welcome,
    from Lansing, Michigan, USA!

Chris Maes

And...contact! (adjusts flight goggles as engine thrums)

Just got on board with a deluxe starter I found online. Looking forward to reporting after the first mission

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    For 1918, RE8 vs Rumpler.

Alternatively, DH4 (Very Fast!) vs Hannover CLIII (Very 'Wiggly'!)
    As a mix/match, would the Rumpler pair well against a DH4?

I don't see why not. It is difficult to approach a 2 seater and not get return fire, unless the rear gunner has been hit! 2 seaters with an Immelmann will have a big maneuverability advantage over one without. Rumpler and DH4 can't Immalmann so they are similar there.

One thing to consider is that the Entente 2 seaters can have more firepower than their German counterpart.

Choices choices choices!

Similar Missions

1. Recruitment?
    By Franco Lucchini in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2015, 12:32
  2. WGSF Window Painting?
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 16:58
  3. Site: Recruitment Adjutant
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 13:35
  4. Over the Trenches - Recruitment Center
    By Marechallannes in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 07-23-2012, 08:19
  5. National How much is that Fokker in the window?
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 08:34