Ares Games

Thread: Aerodrome Accessories Flight Stand Mod - Number Visibility

Default Aerodrome Accessories Flight Stand Mod - Number Visibility

I'm getting old, and I can't see white on white well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Labeled Stands.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	193965
    How to Customize Aftermarket Airplane Stands

A long time ago, I had Dice Crayons that would fill in the numbers or pips on dice to make them more visible. So, why not do the same for these great stands? I looked all over, but couldn't find the Armory Dice Crayons anywhere, so I had to come up with something else. First, I tried using a Staedtler Triplus Fineliner, as I had them to hand. I colored in the numbers, and cleaned off the excess ink with a damp Kleenex. I got blue ink all over my fingers and had to redo the numbers several times, as the Kleenex would wick the ink out of the numbers, as well as cleaning off the surface.

Name:	StandNumsKittyhawk.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	193967

However, the ink was much messier, compared to my memory of the dice crayons.

I went out an bought an 8-pack of Crayola Ultra-Clean washable crayons, and tried them out:

Name:	StandNumsCamel.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	193966

Using a dry Kleenex, the clean-up was pretty easy, and the result almost the same. I did all my other stands with the crayons! I left the lower numbers alone, as they have a bit more contrast.

Have a go, if you need the visibility.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Exclamation

Gee I have been using crayons since 2011. I think it was Oberst Keith who suggested them.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I use the same Vallejo paints that I use for everything else, but I dab the color on with a Q-tip before I peel off the protective brown paper. The brown paper acts like a mask and protects the dial, and it peels off easily when the paint has dried.

All the best,
    Matt

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I use the same Vallejo paints that I use for everything else, but I dab the color on with a Q-tip before I peel off the protective brown paper. The brown paper acts like a mask and protects the dial, and it peels off easily when the paint has dried.

All the best,
    Matt

The brown paper certainly makes painting the numbers/lines on the stand a doddle.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Ah another solution to the aging eyes problem .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post

All the best,
    Matt
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Gee I have been using crayons since 2011. I think it was Oberst Keith who suggested them.
    Yup. On the Aerodrome Accessories site, the product details has the suggestion for crayons or paint. And the protective mask would very work for paint.

It might not work for the crayon approach, as the edges might lift or roll back when applying the color. However, cleaning up crayon is not a problem, so the choice of leaving or removing the mask for crayons is up to the user.

I had removed all the masks, thinking that it wouldn't make any difference. When the stands finally got on the table, and I tried to use them, I couldn't read the numbers. Too late to easily use the paint option.

Now that I think about it, the mask would have made using the marker option much easier, too.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Crayons were advocated by Keith in the days when he had a firm making the stands without the paper covering the front.
    Now you have the new system it is much easier to paint them and much more durable.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Aerodrome Accessories Aerodrome Accessories offers official accessories for Wings of Glory.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2013, 13:32
  2. aerodrome accessories
    By Lt Blackwater in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 15:04
  3. Aerodrome Flight Stand Markings?
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 16:27
  4. Want Aerodrome Accessories? Then bid!
    By pflanzer in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-12-2010, 22:06
  5. Aerodrome Accessories
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-17-2010, 00:11