Ares Games

Thread: Universal Solo Software for all devices V1.0 out now!

Default Universal Solo Software for all devices V1.0 out now!

Hi guys,

Some of you might know me as that dweeb that keeps trying to make useful WW2 solo software. I finally made one that is universal and usable on all devices with an internet browser (maybe not if said device is really really old). It's designed to be operated by 1 hand holding the phone and the thumb on the same hand changing the settings.

It's web based so an internet connection is required. There are no pictures due to lighten the load on my webhosting package (it's very small in terms of data). Click the link below to use it!

http://www.daanherman.nl/index.html

They domain name is not intended to be narcissistic but it just happens to be an unused domain I had "laying around". Please read the "How to use" section of the website before giving feedback.
    I imagine I am going to be quite busy with some other projects so without feedback nothing will change. If there is feedback and it's not about completely overhauling the software you can expect a quick re-release with the changes incorporated in it. Even if a small amount of people are asking for it so don't be shy!

Cheers,

Daan

PS. Attached is an action shot of me "calibrating" the software

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_20160414_112900.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	193851

This is amazing Daan.
    I'll make a solo game tomorrow and I'll see how it goes, but first I have some questions:

1) When I input a certain set of orders and I press compute, the maneuver given is always the same.
    Ex. No / Zone 2 / More than one ruler / More than 90º Left - High speed, normal right turn
    No matter what I do, this is the only order received.

2)It would be easy if instead of the 90º degrees variations it would be: Target is closing / Target is moving away / Target is moving left / Target is moving right

But I really like it.

REP!

Cool. I'm away from the airfield at the moment, but I'll be happy took give this a whirl when I return.

Thank you!

Good feedback!

1. Correct. At the top of my list is to add a chance based manoeuvre (mainly to eliminate the software being predictable). I didn't have time to incorporate this. I kind of like the concept of the software ONLY giving manoeuvres that are ideal for that situation but this is impossible without the software becoming unpredictable. The software will have a different manoeuvre for the same situation later on.

2. The inbound/outbound and left/right is a good solution. I thought about it. I also thought about Leading/on target/ trailing, I though about dividing the degrees into North (+/- 45), East ( +/- 45) etc etc.

I choose this one because you can see in the blink of an eye unlike the NESW thing. I don't mind changing it.

Could you clarify how your inbound/outbound looks like? Closing to the aircraft or at a convergent heading. So far I decided not to touch this because an aircraft can be closing in distance even though being on a DIvergent heading...
    Interested in your ideas.

Cheers,

Daan

ps. thx for rep! How do I give people rep btw?

Edit: another thing I am really interested in.... "How does it feel?". With that I mean, a device that can be operated with 1 thumb while holding it with the same hand. That was what I was going for with the button layout etc. etc.

REP can be awarded by clicking on the little green "plus" sign located under a member's avatar and personal info... at the bottom left of a post. Clicking will bring up a little window where you may enter a short note explaining the reason for the award.

Ah thx, writing html and javascript is do able. Understanding someone else build is a different story though

Great start. As a manager I am a believer in direct feedback so please see my comments through a lens of desiring a positive outcome to your work.

As is, I did not find software was an improvement to the printed version I already use. To elaborate, for me to jump into using a device while playing WoG I need to see a significant improvement in speed. For that to happen the current software would need to do more for me:

- Is the target aircraft significantly more maneuverable? Instead I should be able to enter the two deck letters into a field (as in G & H) and let the software handle the relationship between the two decks.
    - "Zone" should be compressed (Pull down menu? Number entry field?), in fact everything should be compressed to fit on the screen. The entire process should be completed on a smart phone with no need to scroll.
    - The paper version depicts the card, automatically making it easier to use. An improvement would be to list the specific card (since the deck was entered into the software per my first suggestion): "H 8 slow" for example requires no additional graphics but provides more detailed information.
    -Including check boxes to indicate damaged plane or injured pilot would be huge if it could be implemented to adjust movement choices for the AI, but maybe wait until v2.0 of the software.

If all the above were in place I would buy the App (for Android).

Hi Tokhuah,

That is exactly the feedback I need. Let me start off by saying that this will not become an Android (or iPhone) app. I thought about it. But if you look at the WoG WW1 solo system you will see it only had 100 downloads. Now this software was free and I believe the WW1 community is bigger. A lot of the changes you are suggesting would require the amount of work that I simply wouldn't do for free (I got a family to feed and hopes and dreams to crawl out of my country for good). However you did supply a lot of valuable input so here goes:

Is the target aircraft significantly more maneuverable? Instead I should be able to enter the two deck letters into a field (as in G & H) and let the software handle the relationship between the two decks

My previous software did this although it was unfinished. I don't have a lot of manoeuvre decks and even if I had. It's too much work. However. Having a selection of aircraft vs aircraft would eliminate the need for these follow up questions: (performance rating for target, performance rating for solo aircraft, is it more manoeuvrable, does it have a better rate of climb?
    This could be done by assigning values to each aircraft (manoeuvre, performance and RoC) which would then be compared. That would be relatively simple to do and might be included in future versions.

"Zone" should be compressed (Pull down menu? Number entry field?), in fact everything should be compressed to fit on the screen. The entire process should be completed on a smart phone with no need to scroll.
    I like your idea of everything fitting in one screen. I don't like pull down menu's (unless it's for the above mention aircraft selection since there would be WAY too many options) but making the zones smaller would be possible and fairly easy to incorporate

The paper version depicts the card, automatically making it easier to use. An improvement would be to list the specific card (since the deck was entered into the software per my first suggestion): "H 8 slow" for example requires no additional graphics but provides more detailed information.

Again, this is what my previous software did. I wish Ares had the numbers on the manoeuvre decks in a global format, not individually per deck. Right now the whole thing has to be handcoded per deck. Very tedious and not my cup of tea for something that wouldn't put bread on the table.

Including check boxes to indicate damaged plane or injured pilot would be huge if it could be implemented to adjust movement choices for the AI,

Again, already present in my other software. The other software even automatically checks your boxes, distracts smoke counters, etc etc based on the damage card you pull via the software.
    The problem is, the other software is in the form of a windows executable (not mobile device compatible unless you consider a laptop to be a mobile device) and it has the manoeuvre decks for only a handful of aircraft in it. I added more aircraft but never got around to adding the manoeuvre decks. The other aircraft have gotten all their specs coded in (hit points, RoC, etc).

Here is the link for the old software:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/54y9g8sip6...201.4.exe?dl=0

Hope that clears things up, thanks for the input! Will definitely keep some of those points in mind.

Cheers,

Daan

Hi guys,

V1.1 is out! Yay.

Managed to put a lot of hours in (mainly because I am still figuring out how to do stuff but as we say in Dutch "De aanhouder wint") and now have something that is hopefully more to your liking.

Tokhuah, based on your feedback I decided to make the the UI fit to one screen. With room to spare! Zones are selected with a dial with 0 being "tailing". The other questions are done with my home made cycle switches instead of buttons for every answer. Like I said, I like to avoid dropdown when I can. They are messy, but sometimes unavoidable.

Joaquim, the predictability of the software is still an issue but at least the speeds are randomised now(excluding manoeuvres leading up to a reversal). What used to be "Low speed" is now 2/3 low and 1/3 high. Vice versa with what used to be "High speed". Expect somewhere in the future for the entire manoeuvres to be randomised (of course with a certain degree of logical sense.....).
    The 90 left right etc is still there. This might be changed if I figured out something better.

Ofcourse I am interested in more feedback! Although, I am looking at a different project now so don't expect any huge changes any time soon.
    What I am interested in right now:

Do you like the new user interface?

Is the predictability of the software very bothering?

Most importantly, are you experiencing any bugs(other than those coming into your living room due to the approaching summer weather)?
    Last edited by DGH; 04-20-2016 at 23:52.

It looks good and I hope people are able to use it. I tried it on my Nexus 6P and was able to us it with one hand and no scrolling. Unfortunately, my barrier will continue to be the instruction on the type of card to play rather than the visual representation. However, I may represent a very small demographic of visual centric people so the presentation may not be an issue.

Hi Tokhuah, I am glad you like the improvements so far.
    I don't think you are amongst a small demographic of visual centric people. I don't like the text based instructions either but with my current hosting package there isn't much leeway.... I am about to embark on a (small) kickstarter campaign to start a website which will host a collection of these AI's for different games. I would also be looking at the more "mainstream" games to get some momentum for the project. WoG would be amongst them and there would be enough data to allow for plenty of nice pictures

If that fails? Then I will probably try to cram in some low res images anyways and if the website crashes, so be it :P
    Whatever it is, most of the software will need to be rewritten to allow for growth of it's capabilities. Right now the thing is not really what it should look like (behind the scenes).

Battle report for a test session of the V1.1 Solo Software.
    Even though the software is still in it's infancy I had blast using it! Valuable lessons were learned as well but like I said, the software is still in it's infancy.

The video is kind of amateuristic but I whopped it up kind of quick and without too much focus on the quality.

Enjoy:https://www.dropbox.com/s/u63uyjcp12...eport.mp4?dl=0

If anyone is having any trouble with the .mp4 format let me know and I'll recompile it quickly.

Daan,
    Well done! You are now ready for Skype gaming, too. Or, stop-motion animation production, otherwise.

Sort of like this: First College Video - Wings of Glory
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Talking of Skype anyone up for a game?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Yes please.
    Anyone up for hosting? I'm at a Con this weekend, too. So, I won't be available until middle of May.
    Mike

I won't be joining guys, very busy juggling work, several projects I am trying to push forward and of course my personal life :P If you're short one player you know what to do right?

Neil my broadband is so slow the swallows sitting on the telephone wires make it stop How fast is yours?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

And the patrol generator is there!

http://www.daanherman.nl/patrolgenerator.html

Let me know if there are any questions

Edit: Oh I forgot to mention, I only added the "standard" WoG aircraft. If anyone wants other aircraft in it (WoW or their own models) let me know. I'll add them in a jiffy.
    Last edited by DGH; 04-29-2016 at 05:02.

I really like it! This will be a great way to start scenarios. Can you add the Wildcat and Zero from series one?

Done, I also added all the other WoW mini's. Just FYI, the aircraft right now have no unique value other than their name added to them. The selection is entirely random and only influenced by the options you see.
    In the long term I hope for this to be different (for instance the option of equal strength opponents so you'll never get 1 CR 42 vs 10 P51's. Right now this will have to be steered by the user in which mini's he selects and use the options that are available right now).
    Also in the long term I'd wish to add a running campaign which saves progress per user and is steered by the user as sort of a click based mini RPG that spawns encounters. For example, "The Battle of Britain Campaign" where missions are given and then based on the feedback from the user how these encounters went the progress of the campaign evolves.

hi Daan, I liked the battle report! great action (and music ) From the messages I understand that it is quit a lot of work. I hope it is still fun to do Reps from me for your effort. groetjes, Lex

Well the battle report wasn't much work, making the software is It's a lot of fun, some people like to paint miniature aircraft and some others like to nerd away figuring out how to write code. I am actually busy in setting up a project that would launch a website where I can add AI and other game aides (like the patrol generator) for other games. It would mean a short term stagnation of development for the current software but in the long run it means the software will be able to grow to something bigger

......Radio check......how do you read?
    Anyone still following this thread :P

In order to try and elevate the software (and kickstart software for other games) I put up a Kickstarter project.
    The Wings of Glory software would receive further development regardless of backing. I am working on a system where the software sort of draws a grid and then picks the most suited manoeuvre based on the current situation. Right now it just gives pre-programmed manoeuvres with a little flavour of randomness in it.
    The new system would allow for easier addition of new options and would allow the AI to be told how to think rather than what to think.

What the Kickstarter campaign would improve for the WoG software is the image based output rather than text based what we have right now. Also, keeping this project alive would make it more likely for it to develop even further than I have planned right now.

So take a look for yourself:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ref=nav_search

hi Daan, I am not a solo player but I liked the actions of "Oliebol" so much that I am backing your Kickstarter. Looking forward to the endresult

Hi Lex, your backing is much appreciated! And regards from Oliebol

I backed this and would be willing to even pledge more if the focus aligns with my wants. You already have a list of my demands.

@Daan: I will be landing with family in Amsterdam in late July, spending two weeks in the area and dipping into Belgium (looking for side trip advice). No need to respond to this here, I will post this topic in officers club later today, but I wanted to give you a heads up without completely derailing the thread...

Tokhuah, your backing is much appreciated!
    With regards to your previous suggestion:

Special DMG checkboxes will come. Possibly the next release which I don't want to rush.

Individual maneuver decks will be easy to code with the new system. But.....I only have acces to a few maneuver decks and the kickstarter budget is not dedicated to acquiring these (high cost, low impact).

Image output similar to the paper version will be there if the campaign is a succes!

Do you need the actual maneuver decks or just the images? I wonder if there is any way to get Aries to release the files for the purpose of creating a database.

Quote Originally Posted by DGH View Post
    Tokhuah, your backing is much appreciated!
    With regards to your previous suggestion:

Special DMG checkboxes will come. Possibly the next release which I don't want to rush.

Individual maneuver decks will be easy to code with the new system. But.....I only have acces to a few maneuver decks and the kickstarter budget is not dedicated to acquiring these (high cost, low impact).

Image output similar to the paper version will be there if the campaign is a succes!
    When we did the Android App, my programmer and I did up an Excel spreadsheet with all the maneuver decks on it, numbering each type of maneuver. Then, the selection was made, using the Universal Solo Chart to determine what would show up, using random selections (if there were any variations). I'm not sure how she did the programming, but basically, once you selected the maneuver deck, you would only get maneuvers that applied to that deck, and it included any special maneuvers as part of the random selection.

So, if you were using an AI Spitfire (flying an A deck), and the target plane was in Zone 1 Closing > 1 Ruler, there is a wide sideslip that must be used. The app would ignore all the other moves and present the wide sideslip. I think. I need to try that out...

PS: Nope. We must have done a random pick on the available moves. The wide sideslip does come up occasionally, but not the only move.

Daan, I have uploaded the "WWII Plane Manuever Cards Numbered_V2.xls" to the Dropbox I shared with you. It shows the second version of the file I gave to my programmer associate, but it will indicate how she did the card selection. Decks "A" to "I" are numbered for the random selection reference, but she must have done all the decks when she completed the app. It includes all the decks up to R, and the XA and XB. We didn't have access to the XC and XD decks for Lancasters or B-17s.

For each maneuver, we just showed a generic image, and a speed arrow. The length of the arrow didn't really matter, as you already knew the deck you were using, and the allowed turns or maneuvers. Just to be clear, we put the number of degrees of turn ("30", "45" "60" and "90") on the turn images, so that users would clearly know what amount of turn was supposed to be used.

Name:	Turn30L.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	196073
    All decks except I and M have 30 degree turns

Name:	Turn45L.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	196074
    All decks except N, XA and XB have 45 degree turns

Name:	Turn60R.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	196075
    Only the O deck has the 60 degree turns

Name:	Turn90R.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	196076
    Only the L deck has the 90 degree turns
    Note: The 90 degree turn is pretty obvious, but we went for consistency

Speed arrows were these:
    Blank before pressing the "engage" button:

Name:	SpeedCover1.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	7.0 KB 
ID:	196077

Slow Arrow:

Name:	SpeedSlow.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	196079

Fast Arrow:

Name:	SpeedFast.png 
Views:	176 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	196078

Fuzzy images of the Android App in use:

Player selects the Zone (Sector) and Range (Position) of target:

Name:	<acronym title=WGS App Player1 SelectZone.jpg  Views: 174  Size: 88.2 KB  ID: 196082" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

After pressing the "Engage" button, the player is presented with this:

Name:	<acronym title=WGS App Player1 Engage.jpg  Views: 176  Size: 96.5 KB  ID: 196081" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    This is probably the start of an Immelmann turn, in which case, the next two selections will be pre-selected for the player, and give the next two moves for the Immelmann.

PPS: The original work on the app started last year, and some discussions on how it should work can be found here: Turn Sequence Assistance Required
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 05-11-2016 at 00:14.
    Mike

First of all, thanks for the further backing Guus

So the system I am working on now (which is not finished yet) will work as follows.
    A grid is drawn with the AI position and the target position. Based on the other input (relative heading, target type etc) the point where the AI wants to be will be augmented. It well then run through every manoeuvre applicable to the AI (hopefully per deck otherwise per class) and pick the best manoeuvre according to it (him, her, whatever you call it). It can be made unpredictable by adding a chance of taking the second best manoeuvre. It will also include a memory function to initiate reversals without announcing them 2 turns in advance. Or maybe even do weird turns out of the way (which throws of the human) to later come back on the target's six.

For the individual manoeuvre decks I would need to have the physical decks and lay them against a physical grid to measure how they would have to look like in the software.

I was thinking by just making the software with this intelligent computation system for 3 classes (high performance, low performance and bomber) and when it's all live and looks cool just be bold and see if Ares is willing to send me a miniature for each deck
    Otherwise look for other solutions. Whatever it is, it's not urgent because I reckon the current system is so complex it's going to take me the rest of the month and the best part of June to code. Right now I will make it simple for myself and later add decks or whatever. If I do it after the system is complete it's just adding different augmentations to the database. Much simpler that way.

Thanks for the continuing support guys!

I just jumped on the kickstarter. Hopefully it can get funded and you can make this happen. Thanks for all the hard work.

OK Daan, I'm in.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Redstarny and Guntruck (and everybody else!), thanks for the support!

Finally after hiding underneath my coding blanket for a while the 2.0 version of the WoG solo software is out!
    The main changes are behind the scenes. In previous versions the software selected manoeuvres from a pre-programmed database. It simply performed what it was told to do. Now the AI truly has intelligence. Based on the users input the software generates a picture kind of like a grid and then looks which manoeuvres are available to it and then makes a selection which would be the best manoeuvres. It then chooses from the selection of the best manoeuvres which to perform.
    Minimum input is just the zones if you want to play quickly. All the other settings are there to make the AI more informed of the situation and will result in more suitable manoeuvring.

The "Patrol Generator" now includes game changing events. Simply follow the instructions when generating a patrol and you will get an event which only comes into effect at a random turn. Most are meteorological but some involve unexpected enemy reinforcements!

Give it all a try at www.daanherman.nl

Finally after hiding underneath my coding blanket for a while the 2.0 version of the WoG solo software is out!
    The main changes are behind the scenes. In previous versions the software selected manoeuvres from a pre-programmed database. It simply performed what it was told to do. Now the AI truly has intelligence. Based on the users input the software generates a picture kind of like a grid and then looks which manoeuvres are available to it and then makes a selection which would be the best manoeuvres. It then chooses from the selection of the best manoeuvres which to perform.
    Minimum input is just the zones if you want to play quickly. All the other settings are there to make the AI more informed of the situation and will result in more suitable manoeuvring.

The "Patrol Generator" now includes game changing events. Simply follow the instructions when generating a patrol and you will get an event which only comes into effect at a random turn. Most are meteorological but some involve unexpected enemy reinforcements!

Give it all a try at www.daanherman.nl

Daan, this is looking awesome.

Obrigado Joaquim, I can finally say it does something different than digitalising the paper version. Took me a while (like a year)how to put into "words" how a mental process goes for someone (or something) to reason to which manoeuvre to perform.

What I am really interested to hear from you (or another player) is how do you use climb and descend cards. Even though I have plenty of experience of manoeuvring a real life aircraft in 3 dimensions I find it a bit harder to judge when to do it with these fantastic miniatures! I have a decent understanding on the basics of energy management in a dogfight (at least I think I do :P ). To me it seems that concepts like boom-and-zoom or yo-yoing don't really go well in Wings of Glory. Can you (or anyone else) share some good basic techniques or general situation when you would climb and descend. I can take it from there. The software is now fully capable of executing a series of manoeuvres to set it up on a nice attack angle so the techniques I code into don't have to be looking forward only 1 or 2 turns. They can be a series of manoeuvres that, if needed, have other sub manoeuvres in between.

Example: Climb, climb, adjust course to target, finish climb to desired level.

Alright added some altitude rules. It's still very basic but it's something. If the button doesn't work be sure to clear your browsing data.
    I also added the option of playing with 4 different solo aircraft and keeping the settings for each.

So, how does this go?
    I can't find the page now.

Hadn't developed it further and not many users so stopped paying for hosting years ago!
    If you desperately want it I can send the source files when I get back from holiday so you can run it locally in any browser that reads .html's.

Hadn't developed it further and not many users so stopped paying for hosting years ago!
    If you desperately want it I can send the source files when I get back from holiday so you can run it locally in any browser that reads .html's.

Yes, I desperately want it. I can even put it up on my own server if i like it. Thank you very much.

Ok it works it super simple. It's basically just an html interface using bootstrap elements and javascript computations to display a simple image of what kind of card to play. I will send the scripts over somewhere in february when I am back at my desk. Care to share your email?
    It will also be super simple to edit/expand upon it for anyone that does any kind of programming.

Any updates on the release date?

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    Any updates on the release date?
    Release is like 4 years ago. Since then the website has been taken offline. You can run the website locally here if you clone this repository:

https://github.com/DaGeHe88/LocalHtmlTabletopAI

Similar Missions

1. Solo software
    By DGH in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-27-2016, 00:31
  2. WGS: A companion for the Universal Solo Diceless Chart
    By RiotInferno in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 05-05-2015, 17:39
  3. Second Epiphany - The Universal Diceless Solo Deck
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: House Rules