Jonty Gresham SE5a(G) DGC1
    Tom Jennings SE5a (L)
    John Cannon Camel (A)
    Ken Hadron Camel (H

Central Powers.
    Alb Oblt "Siggy" Smitt
    Pfaltz H Hartman
    Pfaltz (blue) Max Kahle

Life for the PBI on both sides continued normal. The endless allied barrage had sofenred up the German front lines but not enough to ensure complete sucess. The kill rate in the German trenches was high

German HQ, fearing attack from the RFC had moved up large numbers of AAMG,s

True to form the RFC assigned a flight from 52d Sq to strafe the trenches.

They were quickly spotted by the observation balloons and word sent to the Eagles that their old adversaries were on the hunt again.

The Camels were given the task of strafing while Gresham and Jennings provided top cover.

Racing over NML the Camels dove down on the German lines .

Jonty drew back his gun levers and fired a test burst . All seemed in order He pointed ahead and signaled Jennings to follow.
    Like joisting knights the 3 german scouts powered towards the approaching RFC flight.

Kahle saw the streamers tied to Greshams wing struts and made a mental note.

As they met over the trenches Gresham was first to draw blood, peppering Hartmans Pfaltz from above. (2)

The AAMG crew took a bead on the descending Camels waiting for them to drop into range.

The planes broke formation Smitt and Kahle climbed after Jennings , Hartman went after Jonty.

Cannons first pass saw his bullets hit true , but his guns jammed (2+GJ) The AA pits replied, a stabbing pain shot through his arm as he leveled out of the dive (1+ pilot, 0) More bullets pass his wing tips (0)

Hadron saw his rounds hit home , tracers whizzing wildly past his plane (2)
    Runing along the line he hit the next nest (2+fire) but didnt escape unharmed (0,3)

Smitt turned quickly and caught Jennings blind on the underside ripping a tear along his fusilage (4)

John Cannon , the pain subsiding after tying his scarf around his wounded arm turned back towards the trenches

Hadron caught between 2 trench AAMG takes brief fire from both (0+GJ) (1+GJ) Jonty sees Hartmans Pfaltz climbing ahead of him Jenings concentrates on the slower Albatros of Siggy Smitt not noticing Kahles tight climbing turn. A fatal mistake. A long burst from the veteran Kahle sees flames erupt from the SE5's engine (2+Fire)

The flames quickly took hold and Jennings soon realised that it was time to lose height and get home fast. Nervously he searched for and found his service revolver.

Kahle moved in for the kill but his shots went wide (0)

For a while the sky was a turmoil of aircraft each trying to get a sight on each other

Looking left Gresham could see Hartman who gave him a casual nod as they turned toward each other. The first salvo saw a tear in Jonty's lower wing (2+GJ) as they both passed each other with inches to spare between them

Cannon lines himself up with the closest trench util his gun jams (2+GJ) silencing it . Hadron followed him in.

A short burst from Hadron silences a second nest. Jennings dives and weaved an attempt to get away from Smitt and control the fire spreading quickly across his wings
    Hartman Immells to take on Gresham's SE5 but thy pass each other
    Cannon determined to make an impression on his first sortie flies low and rakes a second trench silencing it (4)

With Jennings out of the fight the 3 German planes turn their attention to the remaining top cover Smitt hauls his Alb into a steep climb while the 2 Pfalz tun on Jonty. Hartman pounding him with urte shooting. Gresham slumped forward over his controls (4, 5+pilot)

Hadron follows Cannon towards the last remaining trenches

By the time Gresham regained control of his plane he had drifted some miles from the trenches and was back over allied lines. Looking round he could see no planes friendly or otherwise.

Swinging his plane round he instinctively headed for the Drome.

Result

Jonty Gresham SE5a(G) DGC1 RTB/W
    Tom Jennings SE5a (L) RTB /
    John Cannon Camel (A) RTB/W
    Ken Hadron Camel (H) RTB

2 nests destroyed

Central Powers.

Alb Oblt "Siggy" Smitt RTB
    Pfaltz H Hartman RTB
    Pfaltz (blue) Max Kahle RTB

Strafing is always my nightmare and with Jonty shot up , big John Cannon wounded as well and Jennings on the verge of shooting himself( the fire did not bring the plane down!) it lived up to its predicted finale. Rolls please ( Ham or cheese ) for my gallant airman Dave. Guess Jonty is out for the final mission thank fully.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well I make that a narrow German victory as they forced a couple of yours to retire from the field Paul - at least they got back to base without too much damage !

2Lt Jonty Gresham (Ace) SE5a(G): RTB/W/0 kills
    Rolled: 8+3RTB-1WIA =10 All well when you land well !

2Lt Tom Jennings SE5a (L): RTB/0 Kills

2Lt John Cannon Camel (A): RTB/W/0 kills
    Rolled: 5+3RTB-1WIA = 7 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario

Sgt Ken Hadron Camel (H): RTB/0 Kills

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Not a good day for the Bulldogs there Paul, but a very entertaining story-line nevertheless.
    You may well be glad that two of your chaps will miss the denouement of this epic campaign.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks Dave , I might retire Mr Gresham from the final scenario as he and Ron Curtis managed to survive to the last days of the war and I wouldn't want to distort the Time /Space continuum by them pegging it

The Eagles may have stymied the Bulldogs this time but at least they all got home safely. Three cheers for Gresham surviving the war!

Smile

Well that lived up to your expectations Paul!
    At least all your chaps survived to fight another day.

That scenario certainly gives lots of heated action.

Nicely done, Paul.
    I could definitely visualize the action going on in that dust up.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    The Eagles may have stymied the Bulldogs this time but at least they all got home safely. Three cheers for Gresham surviving the war!
    Jonty is buying at the Mess tonight so get there early

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2016, 05:42
  2. BRF OTT ED Mission 21---Strafe the Trenches---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-10-2016, 09:44
  3. AAR OTT ED Mission 21--Strafe the Trenches---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-02-2016, 12:45
  4. AAR Mission 21 - Strafe the Trenches. (52 Squadron Bulldogs)
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-01-2016, 14:43
  5. AAR OTTTEY Mission 16 Prelude to Arras
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-29-2015, 06:10