Ares Games

Thread: R Plane over London at Go Play Brisbane

Default R Plane over London at Go Play Brisbane

Yesterday I got together with Forum member Slexlaw (Dan) for the Go Play games day held at Ace Comics shop 18 478 Ipswich Road, Annerley. Given the recent 'Giants of the Sky' release we both agreed a Zepplin-Staaken R.VI needed to take to the skies. Flicking through the bomber rules we decided to play the scenario where one R-Plane using random moves was opposed by two players in fighters.

The Staaken had just dropped its bombs on London and was heading back toward the Channel. Dan took an AFC Bristol Fighter and I flew a RNAS Sopwith Camel. We all started at altitude 6.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6688.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	193543 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6689.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	221.4 KB 
ID:	193544

We closed the distance to make a frontal attack.

Name:	IMG_6690.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	193546

My first burst damaged the Staaken but the return fire must have smashed a piston on my Camel, which started trailing smoke.

Name:	IMG_6691.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	224.9 KB 
ID:	193545

I dived below the bomber (altitude 5) as Dan's Bristol moved in to make a beam attack.

Name:	IMG_6692.jpg 
Size:	219.3 KB 
ID:	193547

Dan's burst also damaged the bomber but he soon learned that the return fire from the R-plane can be devastating taking 12 points of damage (we used the special rule that explosions = half total aircraft damage points).

Name:	IMG_6693.jpg 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	193548

The Staaken is faster than it looks! By the time Dan and I had come around it was almost off the map.

Name:	IMG_6694.jpg 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	193549

Dan's Bristol closed to firing range but in the exchange the German gunners shot him out of the sky!

Name:	IMG_6695.jpg 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	193551

Straight after the Staaken exited the map and my Camel returned to base.

Name:	IMG_6696.jpg 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	193550

We could not let it go at that. The action started again near the English coast as the Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI made for the Channel. This time Dan and I both took Bristols, Dan flying another AFC aircraft whilst I chose the Home Defence version.

Name:	IMG_6697.jpg 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	193552

This time we started at altitude level 4 as our aircraft had been scrambled to intercept. We climbed as fast as we could to reach the German Giant.

Name:	IMG_6698.jpg 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	193556

This time Dan's Bristol closed first, his burst causing one of the R-Plane's engines to trail smoke.

Name:	IMG_6699.jpg 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	193555

I attacked from below at altitude 5.

Name:	IMG_6700.jpg 
Size:	236.9 KB 
ID:	193554

Luck was on my side as bursts from my synchronised Vickers and the observers Lewis found the Staaken's fuel tanks which burst into flames!

Name:	IMG_6701.jpg 
Size:	227.4 KB 
ID:	193557

Return fire from the bomber also found it's mark on my Bristol which started trailing smoke.

Name:	IMG_6702.jpg 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	193558

Dan continued with his aggressive tactics closing on the Staaken at the same altitude. Another exchange of fire saw the German gunners again find their mark, first wounding Dan's observer then shooting down his aircraft. Score now Zeppelin-Staaken - 2 Allies - 0.

Name:	IMG_6703.jpg 
Size:	215.6 KB 
ID:	193561

I was determined to avenge my comrade continuing to engage the bomber at long range from below and limiting my exposure to return fire.

Name:	IMG_6704.jpg 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	193560

My aim was true as rounds again found the bomber's fuel tanks. Confident of victory I banked away as the Zeppelin-Staaken R.VI fell in flames.

Name:	IMG_6705.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	220.7 KB 
ID:	193559

My post mission assessment identified the following:
    - The R-plane is faster than it appears;
    - Return fire at the same altitude from the rear can be devastating;
    - The best attack angles are front and beam attacks from below.

It was a pleasure to meet Dan for the first time and we had a great time taking on the Giant. We agreed to try and get together at least once a month at Ace Comics, and I am looking forward to our next game.
    Last edited by Carl_Brisgamer; 04-10-2016 at 10:01.

Thumbs up

Good effort there Carl & Dan!
    I know from experience just how much fire power the Staaken puts out to the rear.
    As you suggested a frontal or below attack seems the way to go.
    Did you hear from Yell?
    I thought she might have made it to the game.

Thanks Barry. Unfortunately only Dan and I made the Go Play event but if we can manage to make this a regular event at Ace Comics I am sure we will catch up with Danielle sometime.

Well done Carl & Dan - nice to see you tearing up a bomber !

"He is wise who watches"

Another fine display.
    How good that map looks Carl.
    You did very well to get the Staaken down in one out of two attempts.
    I usually use my Home defence Bristol and up gunned Dolphin with no better success than you managed with less firepower, so well done chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you gentlemen. After I saw how quickly Dan was chewed up I decided to stay at long range and find sweet spots where the gunners could not target me. I was lucky inflicting fire thrice on the Staaken. They are tough birds. Night fighting would be even more difficult!

Excellent AAR and result Carl. Now I wonder if I could talk the missus into a weekend in Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Excellent AAR and result Carl. Now I wonder if I could talk the missus into a weekend in Brisbane
    Beautiful part of the world this time of year Gary!

Wow - I knew the Staaken was huge, but I didn't realize just how much bigger it was than the scout fighters until I saw these photos.

I must get my big birds out of their package some day ....

Great AAR, Carl.

P.S. I wonder if Ares is going to make "proper" versions of those maps ?

The Staaken's wing span is only a few feet short of the B-29, it is massive!

Thanks Sven, I have only played a couple of games with them so far but I hope to get more table time soon.

You're welcome, Carl.

Nice AAR of two brave interception missions.

Here you can see the famous Nightbomber with an original Staaken engine gondola:

...and a wall painting of a dreadful giant.

If you ever come to Krakau in Poland you need to visit the air force museum, especially the WW I section.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

When I retire (in 10 years) I plan to do a battlefield and museum tour of Europe, I will add Krakau to my list

Hopefully by then we will celebrating the arrival of WGF series no.25 and WGS series no.21!

Some time back I played solo a Staaken (on auto) vs my two best which were Sopwith Camels. The Staaken was hardly touched by the time the Camels were on the ground. Even though a total of 34 damage points for the Staaken was similar to the 30 of the two Camels, the fire power was nowhere near equivalent!

You need a kind of tactics to battle a giant.

Attack from one side (front/left/right) with two or more scouts or twoseaters, disable aim for the bomber's gunners, stay the distance to place continous hits and to have the possibilty to break off the attack, etc.

I'm curious for the upcoming Sopwith 2 1/2 Strutter.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    You need a kind of tactics to battle a giant.

Attack from one side (front/left/right) with two or more scouts or twoseaters, disable aim for the bomber's gunners, stay the distance to place continous hits and to have the possibilty to break off the attack, etc.

I'm curious for the upcoming Sopwith 2 1/2 Strutter.
    Me too Sven!
    I think the 1 1/2 Strutter Comic coming from underneath the Staaken could be a viable attack position.

Similar Missions

1. Go Play Brisbane - April 9 & 10
    By Slexlaw in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-17-2016, 19:17
  2. Reporting For Duty from Brisbane QLD.
    By Yell in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-05-2016, 11:17
  3. Queensland Brisbane WoG players
    By Doug in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2012, 02:46
  4. Model shops in Brisbane/Surfers
    By Linz in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 17:50