Ares Games

Thread: Thinking of selling

Question Thinking of selling

SOLD

I'm thinking of selling my WGS stuff (we prefer WGF). So I looked on Amazon to check prices, and there's a starter set for £337.45. Should I use that as a guide?

Seriously though, is there a definitive site that forum members use as a guide before buying/selling?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Indie55; 05-17-2016 at 03:48. Reason: No longer thinking of selling

I'm not aware of any site apart from ebay to get comparable prices. I would as a rule of thumb suggest you start out with an average of £15.00 per model and go from there.

Alternately you could list them on this forum and ask for offers. As a lot or as individual items.

Well there's 32 planes, so that might be worth quite a bit. I'd better do some research.

By the way, it's the Starter set, Rules and Accessories set, complete series 1, complete series 2, 4 newer planes, and 4 bombers.

Series 1 and 2? think you will be swamped with offers especially the BoB stuff. Good luck and may you soon be swimming in coinage.....

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Haha, Thanks Chris. I'm sure it won't take long to spend it again!

Amazon prices are crazy on out-of-print items. No relationships with reality.

that said, I think you hjave valuable stuff, even if I can not help you with quotations.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie55 View Post
    I'm thinking of selling my WGS stuff (we prefer WGF).
    Not what your avatar tells us!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Not what your avatar tells us!
    Ahhh... I love the WW2 era, for both land, sea and air. A very 'romantic' period. The planes are beautiful. It's just the way the game plays. I really do prefer the game mechanics in WGF.

Ebay, unfortunately, is a necessary evil. If you really want to sell them you have to remember that our PALS at Ebay will take 15% once the deal is done. I buy and sell on Ebay and wish there were a better Auction site daily! The values of the items that sell are very inconsistent. I have seen, many times, the same item go for big bucks one day, and then super cheap within 24 hours of the expensive one selling. What you can do for a reference is go to the "Advanced" search section of Ebay and enter the item description and then click the box below that says "Sold listings" This will show you what these items actually sold for, not what someone with Stars in their eyes wants. (like the WGF Fokker DVII that is always listed for $197.00)Then take that info to formulate an average and you should be OK. I have bought items from other members Here on the Aerodrome Forum with no issues before. You may consider putting a list together and post it to the members.

I have put a list together, but a friend has asked for first refusal. I just haven't researched the prices yet. Although someone's told me that some on my list are worth £40 or more.

E bay list today a Dr VII Goering for £55 and another for £15 so go figure.
    Post a list on the Forum and see what response you have.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I would try the forum first as well. There are some threads there about folks who have sold recently, you can use for comparison.

I know that shipping the US is a price killer, but perhaps the US folks can get it across the pond, then divvy them up here!

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    E bay list today a Dr VII Goering for £55 and another for £15 so go figure.
    Post a list on the Forum and see what response you have.

The e-bay figures of £55 for the DVII and £75 for a Roland C-II are hopeless twaddle and keep re-listing as they are unsold. What the guy thinks is that because an SE5a went for £56 then all Wings of War aircraft are worth that. Both types he has listed have been re-issued under Wings of Glory and that immediately cuts their values in half. The SE5a has maintained value because it has not reprinted… yet. Expect prices to crash to more realistic levels when the SE5a reprints.

Barry

Totally agree Barry. When more Me109s are reprinted their price will come down to from a remarkable £125 I saw a few months ago

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Totally agree Barry. When more Me109s are reprinted their price will come down to from a remarkable £125 I saw a few months ago
    WHAT!!!!!!!

I have bought a large number of minis from ebay, and haven't sold any! I keep them to supply Forum members directly, and to provide subjects for repaints.

The price achieved on ebay depends on timing.

When a rare mini appears, lots of folks fight over it, and the price skyrockets. If another identical mini is then listed, this second one will fetch a much lower price. Listing a third is disastrous for the seller, as far fewer folks will be interested, and the mini will sell for peanuts (that's when I step in and buy it).

Sometimes a seller lists an entire collection, of dozens of planes, and while their auctions are counting down, another seller lists another collection. This is the time to buy, since the sudden wide availability of planes causes them to sell much more cheaply.

When there is a drought, with no second hand planes listed for a few weeks, the first ones to appear are fought over, and sell for higher prices than they would usually go for.

Future release will also damage sale value; I have a number of Pfalz DIIIs which I might repaint, or might sell. If I choose to sell, I will do so before the Series IV reprint, since the flood of new Pfalzes onto the shelves will severely damage the prices I could get for my "currently rare" planes!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wings-of-w.../152074624400?

I'm keeping an eye on this one to see what it finally finishes at, especially as there's an identical one also on eBay for sale. £82 and counting.................

My bet is it will go for around the £90 mark which is ridiculous, unless you are the one selling it.

£84.77 in the end, but the guy who bought it had put another bid on just in case so it could have gone higher.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I'm thinking of selling my WGS stuff (we prefer WGF).
    Please could we have an update on how you got on and if your friend with first refusal took everything on offer?

If not are you going to list in the Classified Ads section here ... I have just read this thread having been away from here for just over one month and would appreciate knowing your latest news on this one.

NOTE: I was selling up to fund my recent MAN to MAN (via JFK - SFO - AUK - BNE and DXB) Spot Of Plane Spotting but this is not happening now

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Please could we have an update on how you got on and if your friend with first refusal took everything on offer?
    Sorry Barney, I wasn't aware that anyone would be interested in an update lol.

My friend bought all 24 planes from series 1 and 2, and 4 bombers (2 x Heinkel, 2 x Mitchell). That left me with the base game (with 4 planes), the newer Rules & Accessories Pack, and 4 additional planes. I decided to keep these as I have a couple of friends who also have a few WW2 planes. When we play, it's always WW1, but you just never know.

The 8 planes I've kept are...

P-40 Warhawk (Gisclon)
    Yakovlev Yak-1 (Durand)
    Kawasaki Ki-61 (Kobayashi)
    Reggiane Re.2001 GV Falco II (Vaccari)

FW-190 D-13 (Götz)
    Spitfire Mk.IX (Johnson)
    P-51D Mustang (Landers)
    Nakajima KI-84 Hayate (Fujimoto)

All of this means that I won't be listing any WW2 stuff in the Classified Ads.

Also, 1 plane for £84.77? Someone really wanted that one!!!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Sorry Barney, I wasn't aware that anyone would be interested in an update lol.
    Hello Tom, that is fine and the update is much appreciated. Your friend is a lucky man and I don't blame you for holding back the aircraft for WGS which you are doing.

I also managed to miss this £84.77 business - do I gather this was on E-Bay? There is currently somebody on there whose clearly and rather desperately collecting Wings of War WW1 as they are just bidding on everything available and persistently out-bidding everyone else. Showing up to me as d***c - this sort of practice gets on my nerves a bit as it means nobody else especially if they are on a budget even stands a chance if they are interested. Bit greedy but that's just my humble opinion.

Hope you are well

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Hello Tom, that is fine and the update is much appreciated. Your friend is a lucky man and I don't blame you for holding back the aircraft for WGS which you are doing.

I also managed to miss this £84.77 business - do I gather this was on E-Bay? There is currently somebody on there whose clearly and rather desperately collecting Wings of War WW1 as they are just bidding on everything available and persistently out-bidding everyone else. Showing up to me as d***c - this sort of practice gets on my nerves a bit as it means nobody else especially if they are on a budget even stands a chance if they are interested. Bit greedy but that's just my humble opinion.

Hope you are well
    I'd think if he's paying those sort of prices, then he's not looking to sell on to make a profit; he's actually wanting to keep them. If so, then he'll soon have enough (or run out of money) and everyone else can start buying again.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Spring-Chicken View Post
    Beanbone ... Beanbrain more like and yes as far as I am aware that does set a new asking price record. But they will not get that with 35 negatives to their credit over the last 12 months.

Also shipping via HERPES TRACKED - like I said Beanbrain will dissuade people even further from buying at this ridiculous price with that! Third rate and third world organisation that I wouldn't even trust with a PAPER plane let alone a Wings of War plane ...

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Holy WTF Batman!

Come on now he is offering 5% off if you buy two!
    Hells Bells and Buckets of Blood. What is the world coming to?

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Come on now he is offering 5% off if you buy two!
    Hells Bells and Buckets of Blood. What is the world coming to?
    Yeah… what he said!

I am oh so sorely tempted to ask the seller a question in the little box at the bottom of his ad. Something along the lines of "Are you taking the p***?"

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I am oh so sorely tempted to ask the seller a question in the little box at the bottom of his ad. Something along the lines of "Are you taking the p***?"
    Well… in a seller's market (which clearly this is) he is simply meeting a need. Perhaps the manufacturers should take note and consider putting the high priced items back into production sooner.

Hint, hint.

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by 'Warspite' View Post
    Well… in a seller's market (which clearly this is) he is simply meeting a need. Perhaps the manufacturers should take note and consider putting the high priced items back into production sooner.

Hint, hint.

Barry
    They might. They might also consider putting up the RRP if people are prepared to pay such silly prices for secondhand and OOP stuff.

if people are prepared to pay such silly prices for secondhand and OOP stuff.
    If people really are, then even I might try selling some of my spares!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

What I don't understand is when people mark up the price four plus over retail while it is still available in stores. I know much of Wings of Glory WWI is not available but alot still is. Especially if you look for it.

Free P&P tho..........

I'd say anyway that a record is set when something is sold at such aprice, not when it's just offered.

I'd say anyway that a record is set when something is sold at such aprice, not when it's just offered.
    Agreed Andrea . At that price it will never sell.

Its gone up in price, if it's the same one. Is it an antique? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Messerschm...AAAOSwaB5Xjo9v What a pity there's only one, otherwise I'd buy several . not.

Gone up in price again, it must be solid gold or something. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Messerschm...MAAOSwARZXn4Vw Crazy.

i think its an original presentation mini from georing to molders. yeah that must be it!

It's gone, wonder if he withdrew it or some mu...punter bought it.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I still see it available.

If you are going to buy this remember the priced does not include postage. That's extra

I think it is delivered by hand by a beautiful maiden, clothed in the finest silk and furs who alights from a carriage decorated in gold leaf and drawn by a team of the finest white horses you've ever seen, with the plane resting upon a cushion of finest velvet trimmed with ermine and sparkling jewels. At least it should be at that price.

I think it is delivered by hand by a beautiful maiden, clothed in the finest silk and furs who alights from a carriage decorated in gold leaf and drawn by a team of the finest white horses you've ever seen, with the plane resting upon a cushion of finest velvet trimmed with ermine and sparkling jewels. At least it should be at that price.
    Probably safer than leaving it to the tender mercies of Royal Fail.......
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

No postage included...I'll pass then. Otherwise I'd be tempted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    I still see it available.

If you are going to buy this remember the priced does not include postage. That's extra
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. General Thinking about trying Shapeways - advice please
    By Prodromoi in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-22-2015, 17:05
  2. Wishful Thinking
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-28-2015, 04:24
  3. Moving on after long absence (thinking about selling collection)
    By Ginarley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-29-2015, 21:32
  4. WGF Thinking of selling collection
    By petho22 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 15:10
  5. Thinking of ww11
    By itchy in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 03:04