Ares Games
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Late War Campaign

Thats why I said adding in more nuances will take us away from the simplicity that drew us in. It can easily get out of hand.

As long as they are all Optional we can keep it as simple as we like (or add a bit o' spice)

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    As long as they are all Optional we can keep it as simple as we like (or add a bit o' spice)
    Just like a Wings of Glory buffet!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Thats why I said adding in more nuances will take us away from the simplicity that drew us in. It can easily get out of hand.
    I agree most strongly Pete. Over complex rules can become really infuriating nuances.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

But you only have yourself to argue with playing OTT

And in my case that can be one too many Pete.
    Rob.

Rolling in Gongs this morning I see ! Those without the Gold already should get another by campaigns end, I was going to indent for them after game ten but someone beat me to it !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I think I am up to date with the Gongs Dave.
    I was not sure if anyone was in charge of submissions, but as quite a few had passed five for this Campaign I dished them out. Hope I was not treading on anyones toes.

Rob.

Only mine ! I usually sorted it with Eric - he set the standard as 5 missions per half campaign, or something like that. A couple of campaigns should get people to gold. As long as the chaps get the gongs due I don't mind who doles them out and, as I said, it saved me the task of indenting for them !

It actually said at least 5 AAR's per Campaign, but as our Campaigns run for more than a year I am taking that to mean that any extra five this year also qualify at the close of this campaign. So you could in theory as you say get two awards, once you get five for this calendar year. I think everyone is now up to date for last year.
    Rob.

That was the original setting when Eric first set it up, a medal per campaign, but as the campaigns became so long he decided to to split it so any five AAR in a half whilst a campaign was on would count. Any five in the first twelve and any five in the last twelve this time around gets a gong, up to Gold anyway; he was quite strict about the count too, you don't get two gongs for doing ten in one half for instance.

Sounds about like what I intend to do.
    Rob.

Question Eric?

Speaking of Eric, has anyone heard how his wife Sue is going with her health problem?

Not heard from the XO in a while, his last post was in this thread last August, his last activity was in January so I'm guessing he has his hands full.

For anyone interested Mark (Chequers) will be running his early war Play By E-Mail game once more if the gets enough interest - if you haven't played it before it's a blast. All you have to do is tell him which manoeuvre cards you want to play & he handles the rest.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-by-email-game

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    For anyone interested Mark (Chequers) will be running his early war Play By E-Mail game once more if the gets enough interest - if you haven't played it before it's a blast. All you have to do is tell him which manoeuvre cards you want to play & he handles the rest.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-by-email-game
    Thanks for posting this Dave. I missed the original post.

I saw it but was holding off due to work commitments.
    Schedule has changed so I will dive in.

One turn a week shouldn't be to difficult. In the past there have been games with two turns a week. Sometimes the pilots were under pressure to get their plots in but gamemastering those twice a week is a lot of work!

Is dive in a clue to your tactics Pete?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

He might have to climb in as your machines start altitude is decided randomly

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Sounds like it should be fun for those involved. I've been in 2 in the past and they were fun until the guy running them quit with no explanation.

Ten days until the next mash up - F.O Kyte is in the chair to take us into the RAF - are you still OK to do this Rob ?

Ten days until the next mash up - F.O Kyte is in the chair to take us into the RAF - are you still OK to do this Rob ?
    Hi Dave,

May I ask what this is?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Oh Yes! Dust off your RNAS aircraft.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Hi Dave,

May I ask what this is?
    This is the OOT Bitter End Campaign we are currently running. It is Rob's turn to come up with the monthly scenario and his job is to take us from the Royal Flying Corps to the Royal Air Force in WWI.
    Our dust ups can be found listed under the Over the Trenches section in WWI.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Oh Yes! Dust off your RNAS aircraft.
    Rob.
    Oh Goodie!
    The Hearts of Oak will be primed & ready along with the RNAS DH-4 "B1"
    Got some Sopwith Tripes but they are probably past their "Use by date"

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    This is the OOT Bitter End Campaign we are currently running. It is Rob's turn to come up with the monthly scenario and his job is to take us from the Royal Flying Corps to the Royal Air Force in WWI.
    Our dust ups can be found listed under the Over the Trenches section in WWI.
    Not actually my Job at all. I just write the scenario. You chaps fill in the details of what aircraft you have and what is your backstory. I would not force anything onto anyone against their wishes.
    Rob.

Smile

Finally got to play Mission 10 today!
    Took a big chunk of time to get it done!
    Haven't thrown as many D6's since my 40 K days but it was a very enjoyable tussle.
    Photos have been resized & cropped in "Paint" so will be able to post the AAR tomorrow.

I shall warm up the crash/wound dice Baz !

Thumbs up

I shall warm up the crash/wound dice Baz !

While writing up my AAR I realized I cocked up and took 7 points of damage that I shouldn't have.
    That pilot going down was the last move of the mission, I have a couple of questions regarding pilot wounds:

The rules state:
    Wounded Pilot: In addition to the usual rules a pilot taking a wound will, in his whole next turn, fly the same manoeuvre that he was flying when he took the hit (eg if he was turning left he will play 3 left turns) and will be unable to shoot.
    He will begin the next turn with a straight and again will not be able to shoot but after that card he can play whatever card he likes & shoot as current restrictions allow.

My first question:
    My pilot had just played the straight, leading to an Immelmann and second strait.
    Does he still fly the reversal and straight?

Or does it make more sense to play 3 of whatever card he was wounded while playing instead of what was planned? and then followed by a straight

My second question revolves around the other rule:
    Wounded pilots: Wounded pilots bugging out - Rather than they just go we use the damage number to dictate the result ie the severity of the wound. So on a Wounded Pilot A deck hit of 5 or B deck hit of 3 the pilots head for home but on a Wounded Pilot A deck 3 or B deck 1 they will stay in the fight. This means your pilots may fight on in spite of a wound, or, equally, may push off home. The cards will decide.

My pilot took a "C" damage of 6 with a wounded pilot - does this trigger the same forced exit, or just the "A" 5 or 'B" 3 ?

As this was the last move of my mission and the table is still all set up, including the cards to be played, I have a chance to fix my mistake.
    With my luck it won't make much difference because the AA also set his plane on fire ....

Hi Pete,
    Wounded pilot is an optional rule - like most damage it doesn't affect the turn you're in but the following turn. In the case you're quoting you'd finish the move ie the reversal, then play four straights.
    The thinking behind this is that you take the hit during a manoeuvre and within a few seconds the shock hits you and you're out of it for another few seconds before you get your machine under control again.
    If you're hit on a steep or immel you can't play three of them so you spin out.
    As there are two wound cards in the A & B damage decks the "A" 5 or 'B" 3 Wound damage were selected to force exit as an arbitrary 50/50 that a wound forces a retirement. I just chose the higher number to make it easy to identify !
    As the C deck has only one wound card I'm happy that it does not force a retirement as the number 6 has no bearing to the wound, it being damage to the machine.
    Think I may have played it both ways over the years of campaigning ? Hope that makes sense ?!

Thanks, Dave, I will play it that way.
    I think he will still be toast because of the flames.
    He will now Immel back to AA range and take 4 additional "A" damage for Illegal Move.
    I assume the actual reversal will count as a "turning action", or will that be considered illegal as well?
    He is at 10 damage from the AA, so 3 more "A" cards plus additional penalty draws will likely bring him down (again).

10:10 pm PDT
    Done and done.
    Only real difference is a Bulldog gets credit this time ....
    Last edited by Stumptonian; 05-17-2017 at 22:17. Reason: Result

Normal service resumed then Pete ?!!

Barry reminded me the other day I have not revisited the 'Aces of the Bitter End Campaign' tally in a while. There were a couple of new names to add to the scoreboard, taken from the campaign spreadsheets as they stand 20052017.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aces of the OTTBE Campaign 20170520.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	223493

Thumbs up

Many, many thanks for the Update Carl!
    Keeping Rep gun primed for your M11 AAR.

Smitt got another kill in Mission 10 (to be published)

Thanks for all the work on this Carl.
    Must try and get last month's mission written up or I will be dropping too far behind again.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Smitt got another kill in Mission 10 (to be published)
    Well done Paul. This scoreboard is a snapshot of results recorded on the spreadsheets at the time of generation, I will update for Smitt's victory next time around.

With the death and capture of two members of the See Adler Staffel a number of new aircrew have been assigned to the unit.

Let me introduce.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aircrew update.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	223598

For you 'box heads' I have set up a Belgian Bulldogs section on the roster - for the moment I have left those that were Carl's assigned to him in case he wants to hang on to them. (let me know if you don't Carl) If you want to use the others for a mission either PM me and I'll asterisk the box under the mission number to show it'll be in use.. if this works I could do the same for other nationals.

Thanks for doing that, Dave.
    I wasn't sure it was in place when I flew mine, hence my 'fudging' Bulldogs into Belgians.

I think this will be a useful option, and can see the need for French, and especially Americans, as we move forward.
    I have 6 American scouts and 4 2-seaters and 5 French SPAD XIII , the Breguets and a couple of 1-1/2 Strutters needing some exercise.

I think if best we only "hang on to them" for one mission (unless missions are connected) if that isn't too much clerical work.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Brisgamer View Post
    Well done Paul. This scoreboard is a snapshot of results recorded on the spreadsheets at the time of generation, I will update for Smitt's victory next time around.
    Hold back o the posting as all my Aces die pretty quick

Just an update regarding next month's OTTBE Mission 12. I am running through the final playtest tomorrow and the briefing will be posted on time Wednesday 31 May.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Gentlemen, while I am behind two missions as of this date and may fall a third behind I will do my best in the coming weeks to running two missions. The reason for getting so far behind is that I have had both Influenza A and B in the last month and I will be restarting chemo treatments for my Leukemia that is trying to come back.
    I am doing good mentally and thought I was doing ok physically.
    I will be lurking and commenting on here as I am able.
    Best wishes to all of you.

Carl, James Kilpatrick made LT with his 5th kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    Gentlemen, while I am behind two missions as of this date and may fall a third behind I will do my best in the coming weeks to running two missions. The reason for getting so far behind is that I have had both Influenza A and B in the last month and I will be restarting chemo treatments for my Leukemia that is trying to come back.
    I am doing good mentally and thought I was doing ok physically.
    I will be lurking and commenting on here as I am able.
    Best wishes to all of you.

Carl, James Kilpatrick made LT with his 5th kill.
    Thanks Dale, the next scoreboard will reflect Mr Kilpatrick's recent promotion.

Sorry to hear about your health issues Dale, I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you back at the top of your game soon

Dale
    Health trumps all.
    Sorry to hear you have been having issues.
    Thanks for keeping in touch.
    Hope things improve for you soon and you can get back to the front.

Thumbs up

Best wishes Dale for a quick & full recovery my friend.
    Do not worry you have months ahead to catch up!

Take it easy Dale .Real life sometimes rears its head and delays our little pleasures of gaming.

Sorry to hear you're not firing on all cylinders Dale, hope you get well soon and look forward to your next instalments as and when you're able.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. A little gem! Look before it's too late...
    By HTRAINo in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 14:15
  2. I know this is late...
    By fast.git in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-22-2013, 13:27
  3. Just too late for the war seaplane
    By Jager in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 09:34