Ares Games

Thread: Solo AAR: A Lonely Sentinel - Balloon Buster scenario

Default Solo AAR: A Lonely Sentinel - Balloon Buster scenario

A Lonely Sentinel - Mission played using the 2nd generation solo charts and altitude rules. The German balloon started at Altitude 3 with 2 climb counters.
    The attacking Nieuport 17 (Charles Nungesser) started at Altitude 4.
    Mission is to bring down the lone German Balloon, protected by some AA guns and an A firing machine gun nest. Nungesser decided to approach from the balloon’s left flank to avoid the AA Machine gun. Once the Germans spied the N17 approaching in the early morning sun, they began to feverously lower the balloon. Soon after, an Albatross DIII which had scrambled from the nearby Aerodrome appeared from the balloon’s right flank (random selection of the side from which the DIII would appear).

Upon seeing the approaching DIII and getting set up to attack the balloon, the N17 dove to Altitude 3. This put him in range of the Artillery fire which rocked his plane a bit, causing 2 damage to his plane.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2619.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	191184

As he approached the balloon, he decided to hold off on firing his rockets and fired his twin machine guns instead. He managed to cause some damage before his guns jammed! He pulled his nose up a bit to avoid a collision with the balloon.

Name:	IMG_2621.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	191185

Nungesser banked left to avoid the balloon (no collision since he had a climb counter and the balloon did not at this point). The DIII now had him in his sights but was still at Altitude 4 so out of range.

Name:	IMG_2622.jpg 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	191186

Both planes dove – the N17 would now be at Altitude 2 preparing for his return pass. The DIII now matched the altitude of the balloon (3) with no climb counters and felt his wing brush the balloon fabric! Luckily no harm was done to his plane or the balloon.

Name:	IMG_2624.jpg 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	191187

Meanwhile, the infantry in the trenches scrambled into position and fired off some volleys at the N17 with no effect. Once the N17 got far enough away from the balloon the artillery fired a barrage with a shell exploding nearby but causing no damage. Nungesser must have some special Artillery shielding!! At this point the balloon has been lowered to Altitude 2, with 2 climb counters.

Name:	IMG_2625.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	191188

Nungesser executed a flawless Immelmann maneuver (gain 1 climb counter), and fired off both rockets at the balloon!! Meanwhile he took trench fire, again to no effect, while the DIII banked right but is still too high to fire on the N17.

Name:	IMG_2627.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	163.3 KB 
ID:	191189

Nungesser was true on his aim of the rockets and they hit home, striking the balloon causing it to explode in a fire ball!! The horrified infantry continued their fire to no avail and the DIII pilot also had to witness the act while being helpless to stop it.

Name:	IMG_2629.jpg 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	191190

Now the N17 pilot's only mission left was to get home safely, his job here done. Not if the DIII Pilot Brumowski has anything to say about it! The artillery batteries realized they no longer had to worry about proximity to the balloon and unleashed on the dastardly French plane. Both batteries manage to be on target but, alas, Nungesser’s seemingly special resistance prevails and only minor damage is done to the plane, with some shrapnel tearing the fabric of his tail. The soldiers take some more pock shots but to no effect.

Name:	IMG_2630.jpg 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	191191

Brumowski is furious and executes an Immelmann turn with his DIII, determined not to let the N17 get back across his lines. The pursuit is on!

Name:	IMG_2631.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	171.7 KB 
ID:	191192

The DIII has the angle, dives and closes within range of his guns. He gets two rounds of shooting and misses the mark both times. He forces himself to calm his anger and focus on aiming true.

Name:	IMG_2633.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	191193

Just as Nungesser thinks he is home free, Brumowski unleashes one more accurate burst - striking Nungesser's fuel tank causing the N17 to burst into flames tearing the fabric of his plane to shreds. Brumowski watches with satisfaction as the French plane plummets to the earth below.

Name:	IMG_2634.jpg 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	191194

Conclusion:
    A very fun game that had an epic finish!
    Points: Destroyed Balloon 10 pts for the Allies but -15 points for the plane destroyed – German victory!

Name:	IMG_2636.jpg 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	191195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2638.jpg 
Size:	177.1 KB 
ID:	191196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2635.jpg 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	191197

Very nicely done Joe, a well told and photographed AAR. Not sure I'd agree it's a German victory (as the Frenchman achieved his mission and the Germans failed in theirs) but that aside what a great outing

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Nice job, Joe.
    A few of us flew a similar mission on Skype last week (where my collision with the balloon caused a bit more damage ...)

I like your flame effects.
    Did you make that balloon out of papier mache ?
    Looks very good.

Wonderful AAR!
    Nicely done.
    I feel that I know that balloon...
    REP!

I like the use of the red flame as the balloon goes down (flat). Looked a fun time was had, thanks for sharing.

That was a great AAR, Joe! Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Nice job, Joe.
    A few of us flew a similar mission on Skype last week (where my collision with the balloon caused a bit more damage ...)

I like your flame effects.
    Did you make that balloon out of papier mache ?
    Looks very good.
    Thanks! The balloon is paper frame (card stock) with tracing paper and white glue. I followed the plans in the files section posted by Blackronin. A bit rough but it is nice to play with a 3d model. The flame effects are from my Flames of War collection.

Nice AAR Joe. Looks like fun.
    Escpecially like the attacker flying out of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco Lucchini View Post
    Nice AAR Joe. Looks like fun.
    Escpecially like the attacker flying out of the sun.
    Thanks! That was actually unplanned. The early morning sun happened to be streaming in at that point!

Thumbs up

Excellent game & AAR there Joe!
    Well Done.

Nice one Joe. I really looked like Nungesser would get away as he was in very good shape. But BOOM doesn't care what shape you're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland19
    Thanks! The balloon is paper frame (card stock) with tracing paper and white glue. I followed the plans in the files section posted by Blackronin. A bit rough but it is nice to play with a 3d model. The flame effects are from my Flames of War collection.
    Excellent narrative & photo documentation.

Superb little action AAR Joe.
    The props as others have said were very effective.
    Also an entertaining commentary livened things up as well.
    One tip about running for home, if I may.
    If you can dive away and then make a turn at the start of the next move.
    If he follows you down he will be heading away from you in his dive, even if he guesses correctly and turns at the bottom of the dive.
    You get a move at worst with him only getting a long range shot off. at best by the time he turns it is far too late to catch up.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Superb little action AAR Joe.
    The props as others have said were very effective.
    Also an entertaining commentary livened things up as well.
    One tip about running for home, if I may.
    If you can dive away and then make a turn at the start of the next move.
    If he follows you down he will be heading away from you in his dive, even if he guesses correctly and turns at the bottom of the dive.
    You get a move at worst with him only getting a long range shot off. at best by the time he turns it is far too late to catch up.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob and I do appreciate the advice - I hadn't thought of that tactic but it makes perfect sense! Thanks again,

Jor

Similar Missions

1. Lonely Sentinel- Burning Drachens
    By Twisted_terrain in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 00:51
  2. WGF Wings of War Set 1, Set 3 and Balloon Buster
    By afilter in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 06:38
  3. FS: Brown Balloon from Balloon Buster set
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds