Ares Games

Thread: Pour me a Blue Max!

Default Pour me a Blue Max!

So another path is revealed . . . hadn't planned on this one either! I remember being a kid at the theatre with my dad (who built and flew real airplanes for a living), he took me to see the Blue Max when it came out, he also held his hands over my eyes in some parts : ) I pulled the images and stats on the "Pour Le Merite"that the guys supplied on my Zeppelin thread. so here we go! Size is 2.04" square with variations on who produced them - they were issued by many different countries I find . . .

I will be making the master mold a bit more carefully this time, I had no idea what was going to happen with the Zeppelin medal! The cross will be formed and be almost 3/16" thick for strength in the resin realm. The griffin/eagle/whatever will be sculpted as a wedge 1/8" thick and primary molded to fit the cross and added after the first firing. Hand painting the legend will be an interesting step, may have to dig out my silk-screening kit . . . There are several variations to the top ring for anchoring to a ribbon, looking into ribbon as well. Should be fun! Welcoming all ideas and comments, of course we will need a allied component as well . . .

awesome! maybe cut a stencil for the legend.

Oh man. Always a step ahead...

A few minutes at the glass plate and a knife and single edged razor blade and the pattern of course . . .

Carve and insert the eagles . . .

Into the oven! 10 minutes later . . .

Thinking I will try casting the cross in resin, finishing it in bright gold, then laminating a glossy color photo of the real thing trimmed to fit onto the resin base, skipping all the fancy hand lettering . . . Just thinking, it is getting late . . .

So this is the way it's done!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Thinking I will try casting the cross in resin, finishing it in bright gold, then laminating a glossy color photo of the real thing trimmed to fit onto the resin base, skipping all the fancy hand lettering . . . Just thinking, it is getting late . . .

That sounds like a smart compromise. Test it for looks, but I'm thinking it would turn out well, with a gloss coat over everything.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Can I say, "while I was baking" without sounding like a druggie? Here is the first resin pour

Spray of gold enamel, cut out a quick sticker . . .

And here is the many . . . un-burnished and not yet coated with clear cote

Might have it close after all . . . why does this always come together at 1:00 a.m.?

Excellent job, Dave!
    These are amazing!

Really nice work, David.
    Does your day have more hours in it than the rest of mankind ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Really nice work, David.
    Does your day have more hours in it than the rest of mankind ?
    I don't think so, we do not bother with daylight savings time here in the AZ Up at 5:30 a.m. to bed by 1:30-2:00 a.m., works for me, but I do get an hour of doctor prescribed "horizontal therapy " daily at or around 1:00 p.m. Elves though are like rust, they never sleep . . .

So after a coat of clear gloss, it looks very nice!

Serving suggestions . . .

Thinking a half size would be cool base candy . . .

Excellent work, David!

Just got some nice ribbon! Makes it look even cool-lio-er yet!

Truly a...

[sunglasses]

...POUR LE MERITE.

B)

Now that's really cool!!

Working on getting my hands back, one day at a time. So far, today, they are happy, a bit of keyboard therapy . . . no tools though . . . : (

Great Blue Max, David
    I like also this cufflink:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	knoflik-s-krizem.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	217366

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2015, 16:31
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 11:41