Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sheffield Triples

Be a pleasure to see you as always Tim

I concur wholeheartedly with the decision to return you immediately to flight status.

Fly well, my friend, and shoot straight!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    ...An alternative presents itself, though - a couple of days of flying fun with my friends, then one day to recover...
    That sounds like just the ticket Tim, break Steffi out of her covers and have at it old chap

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

What a fantastic days gaming. Great to see Tim there and he enjoyed shooting down his own 400's
    See you on the Dark Side......

Very quiet show punter wise but we had a great day - nine Handley Pages on the table to bomb Mannheim - wait for the AAR's on that one. Nice to see a good turnout from the drome as well - Neil, Tim, Andy, Chris, Rob & Eileen, Simon and your truly. Thanks to everyone for making it a good day. Handley Page gunships - the way of the future - who needs bombs when you can mount six machine guns.....

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

We must correct Chris and his 'gunship' quip.

Chris you can't fly an up gunned 1/72nd scale Bristol and claim it's a Handley Page!

But it was a fun game. 10 players, 8 not 9 HP'S, it was brutal.

Pics and AARs to follow.

Back from Triples weekend, show wise it was quite a quiet one this year, but the Wings table was it's normal steady self with punters attending throughout the day.
    Saturday as most wil be aware saw a big HP 0/400 raid, our first as well as other games .
    Sunday was equally busy on the table, especially as Tim was solo while I was solo on the sails table. However, I am sure Tim will agree here, it was a good day, especially at the end when we won the Best Participation game prize, well done all who participated and assisted on the table, it was a joint effort and paid dividends as it was voted the best at the show.
    I will post pics, not many Im afraid as was not on the table, but have pics of the prize
    Once again, thanks to all who assisted, well done chaps.
    Especially Tim, who under the circumstances was his usual star material.
    Last edited by Boney10; 03-20-2016 at 16:14.

Well done chaps, and we'll done for picking up another award

Woo Hoo - another one for the display cabinet. That's great news

A superb team effort and more so for the 2 loners flying and sailing solo today.

Congratulations on picking up yet another Trophy at Triples chaps.
    I'm sorry that we fell by the wayside on Sunday, but that is how it goes sometimes.
    One of the reasons I insist on at least four committed members before a show place is accepted.
    As you all know Chris has gone way beyond the call of Duty in establishing us at these shows, and also in keeping us there on subsequent years. He spares no endevour in seeing that they run smoothly,and puts a lot of time and effort in. I would, therefore like to formally thank him on behalf of the Wing for his sterling work over the years.
    Saying this I am not forgetting my other Squadron Leaders, nor Strangely Brown, who have helped lay the foundations to our successes in the past, but I felt that it was high time that we recognized Chris and his part in winning these awards.
    To that end, I would be grateful if you holders of the Trophys could get them to me before Doncaster this year so that we can display them all together along with the Eagle.
    Thanking you all for your efforts.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Here here Wing Co. looks like your round Chris ! well done

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Here here Wing Co. looks like your round Chris ! well done
    Not sure he'll like being called round Chris but here's to all involved in snagging another victory for the 'drome

May I also remind those eligible members, who took part at any time over the two days, to submit medal requests for the level at which you took part.
    Rob.

More Pics from last weekends games

Hedeby display on Saturday

Scafloks Trenches on show

The HP Raid

L-R Hedeby, Hawkhurst & Scaflok

Sunday Solo Flying Helmut

Tims new Trench mat

The pieces of Resistance

Great pics Chris - thanks and three cheers to the victors !

Another great show you guys keep putting on. Congrats Tim, well earned!

Well done Tim, thanks for flying solo on the Sunday

Just seen on TMP there will be no Triples show in 2017

WHAT !!!! THAT'S ANNOYING - first show I ever went to and I haven't missed one for over 10 years (maybe a lot longer) any reason stated as to why not?

Chris was told that the numbers attending this time did not warrant running it next year.
    Rob.

I had heard this rumour a few months ago, it seems that the show this year was that low on attendances that some traders were saying that it was bad, very bad especially on the Sunday. It is noticably quiet on Sundays at most Wargames shows but this year Sheffield was almost empty.
    I would have though a date change back to May or even make it a 1 day show but it seems not.
    Like Chris I have attended Triples now since the early 70s, except when posted abroad so it is really sad to hear this.

I'd heard that Triples was 'dying' from gamers/traders at Bovington who'd attended but I didn't realise it was so bad. What a shame, I hope they work something out for 2018 though that seems unlikely at the moment.

I fear that this could be the end of an era Dave.
    Like Chris i have never missed a year since the late 70's.
    Rob.

I've only done a few, mostly recently, with the 'Drome!

I'll miss it if it goes; perhaps they need to relocate to a more central venue, and cut it to a one day show.

Dammit, just realised I can't defend the trophy now!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Could be the last one ever to win it Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    I've only done a few, mostly recently, with the 'Drome!

I'll miss it if it goes; perhaps they need to relocate to a more central venue, and cut it to a one day show.

Dammit, just realised I can't defend the trophy now!

It would work as a one day show, look how good the York one is now. Maybe its worth trying to reach out to the organisers and have that chat

Looks like this is the norm for 2016 shows, well possibly. Turnout down across the board. Too many shows, etc, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Looks like this is the norm for 2016 shows, well possibly. Turnout down across the board. Too many shows, etc, etc, etc.
    The 'new' Partizan would seem to have bucked the trend, if there is one. numbers at the last few at Kelham were well down, so much so that even arriving
    at 1pm I could still get one of the free figures they give away to the first 500 entrants. The 'new' Partizan' by contrast had 800 punters through the doors. Hammerhead which goes from strength to strength had 1200. Triples organisers had plenty of warning two years ago, but didn't pay heed. It's a shame to see it go, but on Saturday at noon in the main hall you could have seen tumbleweed blowing by.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. National Sheffield Triples 2016
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2015, 12:18
  2. Sheffield Triples ~ A note of thanks
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-18-2015, 11:46
  3. Sheffield Triples 2013 18 & 19 May
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing