Ares Games

Thread: Pictures don't lie?

Default Pictures don't lie?

I've been looking on the internet for new material to write about, when I came across these pictures Attachment 189205Attachment 189206Name:  Capture t2.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  36.9 KBName:  Capture t3.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  26.0 KBName:  Capture t4.JPG
Views: 89
Size:  41.0 KB They say "Pictures don't lie" But is this one real?Name:  st1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  37.0 KB what do you think? should "photo shop" be prohibited by law? Do you have any weird and wacky REAL pictures on file?

I don't much mind as long as they don't purport to be real.
    I can imagine researchers in future times having a real headache over some of these, sorting out the wheat from the chaff.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The last one is real, Johnny Johnson had daily "supplies" flown over from Chichester to the continent once his squadron located there after D-Day.
    That well known pic appears in his book Wing Leader entitled 'Our version of the brewers dray'. Apparently, following some press attention, the supplier, Arthur King, was visited by HM Custom & Excise who solemnly advised he would need an export licence if he persisted in this sort of thing !
    The B.17 may have been able to fly in that configuration too.
    Last edited by flash; 02-29-2016 at 04:12.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Yes, there were several instances of beer runs, one in the Med and Far East too, but that is the first pictorial evidence I have seen although it has been on the Drome for a while now.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I don't much mind as long as they don't purport to be real.
    I can imagine researchers in future times having a real headache over some of these, sorting out the wheat from the chaff.
    Rob.
    I don't think that a lot of researchers are that bothered. Just look at how many times you see WW1 scenes purporting to be from 1915 and early 16 with the Tommies wearing steel helmets.

Here is an article about the beer carrying Spitfire. http://www.urbanghostsmedia.com/2014...world-war-two/

Similar Missions

1. Pictures from Beachhead
    By David Manley in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 04-07-2016, 10:39
  2. National pictures
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2016, 15:54
  3. B-25 pictures
    By The G Dog in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10