Ares Games

Thread: My Guadalcanal AAR

Default My Guadalcanal AAR

I posted this up over at BGG in the hopes of generating some more interest/customers for this game.

Have a gander if you like.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1533260/wings-glory-guadalcanal-aar

Wow! What a fantastic AAR - well written for noobies and vets!
    Quite a blood bath! (that's both the planes guns and my rep gun).

Thumbs up

Great work Mick.
    Good AAR & photos & deserving of REP for promoting WoG.

Great AAR Mick! Heavy action. One question, it appeared there were a lot of collisions even when bases were simply overlapping and not in contact with the peg. Was this a house rule or simply me not seeing it correctly?
    Rep!

I wasn't aware that the pegs needed to touch in order for it to be considered as a collision. I thought that the bases only had to overlap and the aircraft in question had to be at the same altitude. Do you recall what part of rule book it's in?

Sounds like you're playing by the rules Mick as per p17 of the book -
    Officially a collision occurs if the models bases overlap, they are at the same altitude and both either have NO climb counters, or, ANY climb counters, draw a C damage card for each model but do not apply special damage other than the explosion.

What Wes is referring to is a house rule that is employed by many players around the world - most found that overlapping bases and meeting the collision requirements occurs way too frequently for most of them and the consensus reached was that a collision should only only occur if the model's bases overlap to the extent that the one (some say both) model's base overlaps the others peg. (thus planes can overlap without collision but collisions can still occur).
    More recently some have taken to using 'collision cards' (a number to be found in house rules of the WW1 files section) to decide whether a collision occurs or not - all info can be found on the linked thread below and links from that thread.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-played-option

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

OK, thanks for the info. I'll give that a try as we seem to be crashing a lot when I can coax my group away from X-Wing in order to play.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Sounds like you're playing by the rules Mick as per p17 of the book -
    Officially a collision occurs if the models bases overlap, they are at the same altitude and both either have NO climb counters, or, ANY climb counters, draw a C damage card for each model but do not apply special damage other than the explosion.

What Wes is referring to is a house rule that is employed by many players around the world - most found that overlapping bases and meeting the collision requirements occurs way too frequently for most of them and the consensus reached was that a collision should only only occur if the model's bases overlap to the extent that the one (some say both) model's base overlaps the others peg. (thus planes can overlap without collision but collisions can still occur).
    More recently some have taken to using 'collision cards' (a number to be found in house rules of the WW1 files section) to decide whether a collision occurs or not - all info can be found on the linked thread below and links from that thread.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-played-option
    Ahh I gotcha, thank you for clarifying. I don't often use altitude rules when playing solo or with new players so I go by the peg to base, as collisions would occur too frequently for me. Thanks for pointing this out.

My group use the peg to peg collision rule too. Nice AAR thanks for posting.

Similar Missions

1. National: La Campagna di GUADALCANAL.
    By samuelvimes in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-25-2015, 08:59
  2. National: GUADALCANAL: Stiamo lavorando per voi.
    By samuelvimes in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 09-13-2015, 13:03
  3. Boj o Guadalcanal - interaktivní průvodce
    By Honza in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 01:16
  4. Guadalcanal in Milan
    By Angiolillo in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-14-2011, 19:09
  5. Guadalcanal in Milan