Ares Games

Thread: Question about Mehusla/144 Direct decals

Default Question about Mehusla/144 Direct decals

I'm just wondering if Mehusla's decals need a coat of fixer/varnish before using. Up until now I've not had any problems applying them 'as is', but I've just had a batch of German crosses run as soon as I applied them and dabbed them with a cotton bud. Have I got a duff sheet or should they all be varnished first? Any thoughts?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

I would overspray them. I have noticed, especially on wing leading edges, that the pattern rubs off from use.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Steve I lost a load of Royal Navy 1/200 scale Mehusla Decals this very same way back in September / October last year.

Ironically I have also had a batch of 1/200 scale German WW2 crosses from them but this did not happen with these decals. When I asked a friend of mine about the lost decals as he had recommended that I used them he told me that Mehusla used to be excellent. But since about a year ago Mehusla has been a bit of a hit or miss affair with the rule of thumb being the smaller the decals the more of a liability they are.

I'd like to see what solutions there are to the issue you have raised too and I am sorry to hear about what's happened.

I've not had any problems. Varnish first and let it dry fully then I brush Microscale Microsol setting solution onto the wing/fuselage and lay the decal onto that, also helps in final positioning . Dry it with a cotton cloth by applying pressure then brush with another layer of Microsol and leave to dry then varnish again..
    I presume that I am teaching my 'Grandmother to Suck Eggs' here, but as I say, I have never had any problems so it could well be a bad batch.

Reg, I think the question was whether there is a need to apply a layer of varnish to the decal sheet BEFORE using it.

This is what folks do when they make their own decals - the varnish layer toughens the decals so they are less likely to break up or have their colour run when cut out and applied to the models.

I have never had a problem with Mehusla's decals (I've had some Czech Republic lozenge camo break up all over the place!); I'm disturbed to hear that this is happening.
    I have bought a large stockpile of decals for my many projects, and a lot of those sheets are from 1/144 direct.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Tim, I think that's what Reg is getting at. The Microsol/final gloss varnish is of course SOP, but it's getting the buggers not to smudge before I get to that stage. I varnish the decals I make in house before use, but have never had to do so with Mehusela before now. Hence my question.

Methinks all my sheets of Mehusela decks are going to get an airbrushed coat of Modelcolor gloss just to be sure.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

He's on the site, so you might PM him.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Up to now I have ever had to apply any coating to a Mehulsa decal.
    As far as I am aware, although I have never asked, they are ready to apply, reading The instructions on his site, he mentions using a fixative snd varnishing after application, but not having to varinsh before putting in water.
    As suggested drop Matt a pm see if he answers .

Similar Missions

1. 19 Sqn Spitfire Decals 1/144 Direct
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 03:12
  2. 1/144 Direct 303 Sqn decals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2015, 05:47
  3. WGF New decals from 1/144 Direct
    Replies: 1