Ares Games

Thread: Adaptation of a Zio Prudenzio Kittyhawk Mk III

Default Adaptation of a Zio Prudenzio Kittyhawk Mk III

The late, great paper modeller, Fabrizio Prudenziati, better known from his now defunct website of paper models as Zio Prudenzio, had a few Curtis Kittyhawks available.

I saved one for future reference, in the event I ever built up the courage to try one at 1/200 scale.

That hasn't stopped me from retouching them to different schemes, like this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kitty-02-StockyV2a.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	188997
    Originally a shark-mouthed GA-F plane from No. 112 Sqn, RAF, Libya, it is now bears HS-B, from No. 260 Sqn, RAF. This plane now represents PO James "Eddie" Edwards (I know him as "Stocky", as he changed his call sign after the war, and still goes by it today).

If anyone else gets their nerve up before I do, you might try this version.

PS: Assembly instructions might be nice, I suppose...

Name:	kitty-02-2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	188998
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-28-2016 at 00:13.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

That's only for those who hold a Black Belt in 'Origami'!

Wishing you lots of luck with it!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Astoundingly good, Mike!
    I may have a try with this one soon.

Just had a real good look at the instruction for this plane. WWI planes fly with their landing gear down, but I could remove a lot of tiny bits from this model, if I redo the lower wing with the gear retracted.

So, Joaquin, don't do this one, yet. Unless you want to do all those fiddly bits?
    Mike

Oh no.
    I'll wait for your changes.
    Can you put different letters? You have the B, can you make the E, J and Q?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post

Thanks.
    Yeah. I can do that, now. I did this as layers, so the fuselage layer is clean, and I add the letters over the fuselage layer. If you want a whole squadron, or even a different squadron, it should be easy.

Oh. I had to redo the panel lines on a layer over the letters, so they don't look flat over the skin. I need to try a blending technique, perhaps. Then, the letters would be a snap. When I do the landing gear, I'll try some blending.
    Mike

Thanks.
    Four is more than enough.

But there are others...

Ooooo! Another exciting project ahead, count me in too! The retirement clock is ticking, ever closer and elves never retire!

Zioprudencio's masterpieces:

http://web.archive.org/web/201412160...t/fok-air.html

Of these, I've already built some of the WW1 kind.
    But for WW2 I really would like to have a simplified 1/200 version of the following:

Caproni Ca111
    Caproni Ca133
    Fiat G55 Centauro
    Re 2005 Sagittario
    Focke Wulf 190 A
    Fiat G50 "Freccia"
    Savoia Marchetti SM79
    Focke Wulf 190D
    Macchi c202 "Folgore"
    Vought F4U-Corsair

But for WW2 I really would like to have a simplified 1/200 version of the following:

Caproni Ca111
    Caproni Ca133
    Fiat G55 Centauro
    Re 2005 Sagittario
    Focke Wulf 190 A
    Fiat G50 "Freccia"
    Savoia Marchetti SM79
    Focke Wulf 190D
    Macchi c202 "Folgore"
    Vought F4U-Corsair
    Good luck with that...
    Maybe you should learn Photoshop, too?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Good luck with that...
    Maybe you should learn Photoshop, too?

You right!
    But photoshop is not my "forte"...

No worries! I have a lot in my hands already. And no elves...

Name:	kitty-02-StockyV2c.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	189314

Updated with the landing gear retracted, and with the correct Bureau number for Edward's plane. Other letters to follow. I found an image with HS-C, including "FL90" as the Bureau no.

PS: Redone with the Bureau numbers in the correct spot (IAW reference photos).
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-01-2016 at 00:35.
    Mike

Oh no.
    I'll wait for your changes.

Thanks.
    Yeah. I can do that, now. I did this as layers, so the fuselage layer is clean, and I add the letters over the fuselage layer. If you want a whole squadron, or even a different squadron, it should be easy.

Oh. I had to redo the panel lines on a layer over the letters, so they don't look flat over the skin. I need to try a blending technique, perhaps. Then, the letters would be a snap. When I do the landing gear, I'll try some blending.
    Well, I couldn't find the Bureau Numbers for the letters you asked for, so I put up a few different letters in this album: Zio Prudenzio Adaptations
    All the adaptations are Kittyhawk Mk IIIs, although some are P-40 "L", and some are P-40 "M" variants. If you have all the markings and perhaps pilots, I could do up those other letters.
    Mike

Amazing!
    Thanks.
    Now I have to find good paper...

And I am off to the asylum...

If not immediately, shortly.

Album - Zio Prudenzio Model - Kittyhawk Mk III HS-B 'Stocky" Edwards
    Mike

Nice work Mike! I admire your patience!

Excellent work, Mike!
    I have to ask my girlfriend if she can print one pour moi...

Wow! I'm done!

Name:	IMG_3374_crop.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	229.4 KB 
ID:	192179

OK, there are parts missing. But for this scale, I'm done.

See the album (link above) for the build process. In this final image: Engine exhaust applied. Bad words though, but not spoken here. The parts were so small, I nearly destroyed the outer panel trying to clean out the inside part. I just ended up using glue to hold the torn parts together, and gluing the exhaust manifolds over the torn panels. It works at this scale, cause you need a magnifying glass to see the parts, anyway.

I also trimmed out the white fold lines and white edges with my Staedtler Triplus Fineliner markers. I didn't use the landing gear parts, at all, cause the parts are too small.

Done the first attempt!

PS: Was this less than three days? Holy cow! What practice does... Even if the practice was in WWI 144 scale, it helped a lot for this build.
    Mike

Excellent!
    I wouldn't be able to do it better.

I now have a custom stand, and when I print up this card, another image will follow.

Name:	AA_P-40N Kittyhawk MkIII_Edwards.png 
Views:	151 
Size:	531.5 KB 
ID:	193417

I even have a maneuver deck for this thing!

And, I have this plane to fly against:

Name:	800x600_ww2-wings-of-glory_WGS104B.png 
Views:	180 
Size:	225.3 KB 
ID:	192194
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 04-08-2016 at 11:14.
    Mike

Name:	IMG_3375_crop.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	162.0 KB 
ID:	192207
    Mike

This paper P-40 is so cool that I'm thinking about buying a printer right now.

Looks very good, Mike. And the difficulties of making are balanced by not needing to paint and decal

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thank for the step by step "How I did it".
    It will prove very useful for when I get around to doing my paper planes
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great, great job!

Zio Prudenzio was so kind to send me a S.79 torpedo bomber with the colors of 278-5, the one that Gregory Alegi and me chosed as the main character in our "il Gobbo Maledetto" choose-your-own-adventure gamebook.
    It is probably 1/28, but I am now printing it 1/200. I will reach you to the asylum soon. Even because I am utterly unable to simplify anything.
    Any suggestion about which paper and glue to use?
    Do you maybe even have Zio Prudenzio's S.79 assembling instruction?

Thanks so much!

Andrea

Wow, that looks amazing. I will try it on cardstock and see how that works. Mine may not be as pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Great, great job!

Zio Prudenzio was so kind to send me a S.79 torpedo bomber with the colors of 278-5, the one that Gregory Alegi and me chosed as the main character in our "il Gobbo Maledetto" choose-your-own-adventure gamebook.
    It is probably 1/28, but I am now printing it 1/200. I will reach you to the asylum soon. Even because I am utterly unable to simplify anything.
    Any suggestion about which paper and glue to use?
    Do you maybe even have Zio Prudenzio's S.79 assembling instruction?

Thanks so much!

Andrea
    I did the above on standard paper, so the quality of the printing is not really all that good. And it could have been a bit more rigid with heavier paper. Although, that would mean sharper cutting blades and more patience. I will try the next plane on photo paper, which is a bit thicker/stiffer, but not much. My WWI planes were in 32lb to 64lb paper (32lb Bond <=>120 gsm). The 64 was too thick, IMHO, and I had to strip layers off some parts to get them to shape properly. Like the gun barrels, which would not roll small enough. So, I think for this plane, I wouldn't go thicker than 32lb.

As fate would have it... Yes. I just grabbed all of Zio's "Sparvieros" yesterday, off the Way Back Machine.

Name:	s79-05-1_278-5Web.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	192712

Name:	s79-05-2_278-5Web.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	192713

Name:	s79-05-3_278-5Web.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	192714
    NOTE: The instructions are as they appear on the PDF, and are as complete as I have.

PS: Glue

Name:	UhU-Glue-csm_43605_en_2347055adc.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	192715
    UHU - All Purpose Adhesive

I use this because it is liquid. I use a pointed toothpick to get small quantities, and to put it into small spaces, exactly where I want it. And it dries clear and hard!
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-31-2016 at 08:20.
    Mike

Caproni Ca111
    Caproni Ca133
    Fiat G55 Centauro
    Re 2005 Sagittario
    Focke Wulf 190 A
    Fiat G50 "Freccia"
    Savoia Marchetti SM79
    Focke Wulf 190D
    Macchi c202 "Folgore"
    Vought F4U-Corsair
    Here's a scale converter in case you need it too. http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/scalecon.html 1/72 to 1/200 is 36%.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    Here's a scale converter in case you need it too. http://www.wwi-models.org/misc/scalecon.html 1/72 to 1/200 is 36%.
    A scale converter is great, if the original scale is known. Zio didn't put a scale on his images, so you have to print it to see what comes out. For the bombers, I hope I don't end up printing onto 11x17 inch paper to get parts that fit on a single page. Oh, and the paper for the wings might need to be 64lb, plus cardboard and brass rods for wing strength.

PS: According to Photoshop, the original image is 33x47 inches at 300 dpi. But, that might be just the translation for Photoshop.

PPS: The Kittyhawk Mk III PDF opens up to 6.5x8.5 inches at 300 dpi, BTW. I printed at 40% to estimate the 1/200 scale.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 03-31-2016 at 09:01.
    Mike

Great, it's him!
    We choosed 278-5 since it's the same squadriglia as the one in Vigna di Valle Museum, painted as Carlo Emanuele Buscaglia's - his is 2, to the reader we assigned a different number. There are several photos of a 5 that we used to illustrate the gamebook... so 5 it is.
    Thanks a lot for the instructions!!!

I was eyeing a mini in my FLGS, thinking about attempting a repaint. Doing up the paper plane put that to rest, but I wanted the mini, anyway.

So, here is another few shots of the plane, with an Ares P-40 to compare it with...

3/4 View:

Name:	IMG_3379_Crop.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	193418

Down view, showing the stand:

Name:	IMG_3380_Crop.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	252.5 KB 
ID:	193419

Perhaps 38-39%, rather than 40%? Also, I missed the dihedral completely.

I reprinted on mat photo paper, and the image is a lot crisper and vibrant. I also printed up S/L Hanbury's HS-X plane, and the playing cards for both.

Tonight, I hope to meet "Stocky" at the mess and discuss his time with 260 Sqn, and perhaps get his opinions on flying a P-40 in the desert. From that, I will try and match up some Ace Skills for him and his plane.

Perhaps, he will honour me, and try out the plane on a table?
    Mike

Yes, truly amazing. I think I just went cross-eyed thinking about doing one.

Someone suggested that the camo scheme on the Zio Prudenzio Kittyhawk was not correct (See thread here: Help with zio Prudenzio Macchi MC 2007 - Post # 9). Now, you can't discount that planes in the field may not always match their factory finishes, but what was the factory finish on RAF Kittyhawks? I found something:

Name:	M042-P-40E-N.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	307263

For those that are interested in creating their own 1/200 scale paper planes, I'm working on a factory base model:

Name:	kitty-02-BaseV2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	307262

This needs shading and highlights, but it is getting there...
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-02-2021 at 17:44.
    Mike

Here Zio Prudenzio’s S.79 scaled down to 1/200, that I used in 4 years of playtesting of Torpedo rules.
    Paler than expected for a ink question… but I like it so.

Name:	9771DFD1-6D78-4EFC-BEE1-A797060C90E5.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	307264

Name:	EECDFECF-61BF-498C-B0FF-594711F8BE33.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	307265

Name:	67D98D3B-9859-4A0B-BBFA-A185FCF69A7A.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	307266
    Attachment 307247
    Attachment 307251

Someone suggested that the camo scheme on the Zio Prudenzio Kittyhawk was not correct (See thread here: Help with zio Prudenzio Macchi MC 2007 - Post # 9). Now, you can't discount that planes in the field may not always match their factory finishes, but what was the factory finish on RAF Kittyhawks? I found something:

For those that are interested in creating their own 1/200 scale paper planes, I'm working on a factory base model:

Fantastic, Mike!
    Before I do a model part of my fun is to do some research. Usually then I discover that information is inaccurate, incomplete, contradicting or plain wrong.
    There were variants on the scheme and I guess it's near to impossible to get it perfectly right for an individual plane, considering that most photos show only one side of the plane.
    Looks like the pattern you have chosen is taken from authoritative source. It can also be seen in this beautiful shot at 3:16 in www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9CwP_JMI2A

Apart from the HS-B, HS-X machines please keep also an empty version. I will add the markings myself when I decide which ones to do.

Name:	M042-P-40E-N.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	307263

Name:	kitty-02-BaseV2.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	307262

That looks great! May take me 10 or 12 tries to not have a pile of paper & glue, but I will see what I can make out it.

Another version of the base image, for those who want shark mouths:

Name:	kitty-02-BaseSharkV2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	307520

I'm not sure about other versions, but I have looked at possibilities...
    Mike

Great, will start with some test builds over the week-end.

Edit: A review finding: The brown blotches on the fin port side are missing :-)
    Last edited by hokusai; 10-07-2021 at 04:52.

Here are my attempts. 2 x 112 sqd shark mouth + Stocky's machine. Thanks Mike for the camo.

Name:	1_P40.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	314592

Name:	2_P40.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	314593

Name:	3_P40.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	314594

Name:	4_P40.jpg 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	314595

The area under the nose was a mess, retouched with color

Name:	5_P40.jpg 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	314596

Name:	6_P40.jpg 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	314597

Name:	7_P40.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	53.3 KB 
ID:	314598

Name:	8_P40.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	314599

Amazing Kittyhawks!

REP!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I have just become aware of the coincidence. I posted the photos with Eddie Edwards machine one day after he passed away on May 14 at the age of 100.

Better than mine!

REP!
    Mike

Same plane, but with Temperate Camo:

Name:	kitty-02-DarkGreenV2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	315374

Anyone looking at Pacific Theatre planes? RAF, RAAF, or RNZAF?
    Mike

Same plane, but with Temperate Camo:

Anyone looking at Pacific Theatre planes? RAF, RAAF, or RNZAF?
    will put this on my backlog.

In the meantime can you do me this favor? https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post571720

Quote Originally Posted by hokusai View Post
    will put this on my backlog.

In the meantime can you do me this favor? https://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sh...l=1#post571720
    Me.410 Card Needed - Post #14
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. Crimson Skies Adaptation to Wings of War
    By mrdugsir in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-05-2020, 06:03
  2. World War II RAF Kittyhawk fighter plane found in the Sahara Desert in Egypt
    By Tinweasel in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2015, 16:25
  3. WGSF A simple conversion USAF Warhawk to RAAF Kittyhawk.
    By gully_raker in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 23:11
  4. WGS New Guinea - 1/200 AIM Curtiss P-40E Kittyhawk Mk.IAs, 75 Squadron RAAF
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 13:52
  5. P-40 Kittyhawk wreck found in Egyptian Desert
    By nillu in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 02:47