Ares Games

Thread: Choosing bomb or photo recon target

Default Choosing bomb or photo recon target

I read something in an other post and have a question.

Are you suppose to randomly draw from the bomb deck to see what your target is and keep that secret? It certainly makes it harder for the opposing side to know what the target is.

There are different solutions to this.

Personally, I have copied a small number of WW1 aerial photographs, with a small number of each.
    Placing one of each on the table as Targets, the attacking planes each secretly draw a matching photograph, and hide it under their console.
    When they Photograph/Bomb the target, the hidden picture is revealed to prove that the correct target has been engaged.

You can see this in action in the pictures in the "Pictures from Beachhead" thread.
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Nice touch for fog of war there Tim. I'll be steali.... borrowing that idea!

I matched up the pictures on the cards we got with the giants on one of the maps. Every card matched something. I didn't check the other two maps.

If the cards are exact matches then you wouldn't need photos right?

Very true, but sometimes I don't use the new mats, I use the old ones; or multiples of the new mats (duplicating targets), or my new 6' x 4' trench map (no 'card' targets).

Also, the period pictures give a "period" feel to the game, and the punters seem to like it!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Okay but my question was: Are you suppose to randomly draw from the bomb deck to see what your target is and keep that secret per the rules?

Its really up to you Ken & the other players.
    Sometimes the Enemy will know what Target you will attack & sometimes they wont especially with multiple targets.

We always use multiple targets and normally have to bomb or photo 1 or more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Okay but my question was: Are you suppose to randomly draw from the bomb deck to see what your target is and keep that secret per the rules?
    Bomb Deck ?
    There are target cards that you put down on the table - you can place one, or, several and the attacker can choose one, or, more, to recon/photo or bomb as directed by the scenario. The bomb cards are used to show if a full or part load has been dropped and to determine if the target has been hit and how badly. The background imagery of the bomb cards has no bearing on game play.
    Therefore the answer to your question is no, you are not supposed to randomly draw from the bomb deck, though I suppose you could pick a target card secretly and wait to see where it is placed on the table, or, indeed, randomly select a bomb card and target the background image. Most scenarios tell you where to place a target card for the mission and don't always specify what that card should be.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Bomb Deck ?
    There are target cards that you put down on the table - you can place one, or, several and the attacker can choose one, or, more, to recon/photo or bomb as directed by the scenario. The bomb cards are used to show if a full or part load has been dropped and to determine if the target has been hit and how badly. The background imagery of the bomb cards has no bearing on game play.
    Therefore the answer to your question is no, you are not supposed to randomly draw from the bomb deck, though I suppose you could pick a target card secretly and wait to see where it is placed on the table, or, indeed, randomly select a bomb card and target the background image. Most scenarios tell you where to place a target card for the mission and don't always specify what that card should be.
    Awesome. Thank you for your help. I was wondering.

Similar Missions

1. The Gun camera (Photo recon missions)
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 20:04
  2. Scenario #3 Photo-Recon Mission
    By freebird-52 in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-01-2014, 10:18
  3. Photo Recon at Arena das Peças!
    By tiagodeividy in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2013, 07:21
  4. Photo Recon Italy AAR