Ares Games

Thread: Introductory Scenarios - Questions

Default Introductory Scenarios - Questions

I looked at Home » Downloads » WW1 Wings of Glory – Duel Pack (English Rulebook)
    and played two scenarios last night. I have a couple of questions.

First is how many planes do you field per person. I looked at the poll in another thread and it appears that more than 1/2 have 2 or 3 planes per person. We played Face to Face and it seems like more of a learning scenario, rather boring actually. We played this mission twice (once a while ago) and neither time did it seem to have any excitement.

The other mission was A Hard Task. This is a Photo mission and if I read the setup correctly Entente side is to take the photo. Also the photo target is only (one) ruler length from the Entente edge. So the Entente player moves once, stalls, rotary turn, rotary turn, straight. Game over while the Central Powers player is just over 1/2 across the map. Did I read that wrong? We moved the center of the map with not much better results. This was more of a race to the center. Once we was over the target she left the map with me trailing.

Am I missing something? Thanks,

That's how it's written Ken, however, I think that may be a typo and maybe should read "the photo target is only (one) ruler length from the Central Powers edge" - the Entente's photographing plane would have to fly across table to target, get picture & fly back to exit its side to claim victory. Makes more sense to me anyway !
    Handling a couple of planes is fairly straight forward, more than that can become a chore and lengthen the game.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    That's how it's written Ken, however, I think that may be a typo and maybe should read "the photo target is only (one) ruler length from the Central Powers edge" - the Entente's photographing plane would have to fly across table to target, get picture & fly back to exit its side to claim victory. Makes more sense to me anyway !
    Handling a couple of planes is fairly straight forward, more than that can become a chore and lengthen the game.
    Those were exactly my thoughts. Having to traverse the entire map would make it more challenging. I have played X-Wing and found the game far more exciting (see fun to play) but that could partially be due to having only a single fighter per side. Like looking at the poll in the other post, over 50% play 2 or three planes per person so that could greatly change the game. And of course the length of play.

On a side note there are several significant differences in the two games that account for much.

Another thought I had was... The scenarios have suggested planes some of which are single pilot. If a single pilot plane is taking the photograph should that plane be able to shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Another thought I had was... The scenarios have suggested planes some of which are single pilot. If a single pilot plane is taking the photograph should that plane be able to shoot?
    No.
    Nor perform any manoeuvre other than a straight or stall during the entire three-card turn.

Just my own personal opinion.

The issue with the dual pack scenarios is they only contain single seat scouts so that is reflected in the scenario assigned units. Of course single seat fighters could not take recon photographs that is why air services fielded two seat aircraft with observers, but if Ares included two seaters in the scenarios and the players had none it would put off the punters.

Similar Missions

1. Looking for Scenarios
    By Nachtschwärmer in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-18-2016, 15:39
  2. Scenarios?
    By LingSter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-18-2015, 10:43
  3. Some uneven scenarios for 7
    By steel_ratt in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1