Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Mission 20 - Flash's Unexpected Returns - 14th August 1917

Default OTTED Mission 20 - Flash's Unexpected Returns - 14th August 1917

Uncle was incredulous when he received the call from the Fusiliers on the front; he thought he must have misheard them to start with but it became clear that he hadn't. One of his men, lost weeks, no, months ago had scrabbled into their position from the wreckage of a German machine brought down in no mans land early this morning.
    He left immediately, few noticed his leaving as the afternoon show was on and it involved nearly the whole squadron; within the hour he was at a field hospital just behind the lines at the cot side of Corporal Thomas Gunn MM.
    "How is it Corporal ?
    "Not bad sir, bit painful but it could be worse"
    "So I understand, are you up to telling me what happened ?"
    "Do mi best sir but it may take a while, I'm a bit foggy."
    "Well, you just do your best then".
    "Well it started with that bloomin' convoy, as you know sir, we got the beggars but that 'Un got us when mi gun jammed and down we went.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6662.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	282.4 KB 
ID:	187539

We 'it the ground 'ard sir and no mistake, the old 'Arry Tate just came apart around us when it ploughed in and we was both pretty banged up, me and Mr Keye that is.
    We tried to get back in all the commotion but somehow we got caught up wiv the fighting at the front and got rounded up wiv some infantry boys.
    We must've looked a right state, our uniforms all torn up and bloodied like they were - anyway upshot of it all was they sent us to an 'ospital - they were going to split us up, Mr Keye bein' an officer an' all that, but 'e insists like that I'm 'is batman and 'ave to stay wiv 'im."
    "And they believed that ?"
    "Yes sir"
    "Extraordinary !"
    "Well, it meant we could stay together an' help each other sir. It weren't long before we realised we was near an airfield, we could 'ear 'em most days and we saw them occasionally - dirty big things they was - as we got fitter Mr Keye reckoned 'e could 'andle one of them Jerry kites and we started planning. We realised that Jerry was soon going to send us on our way so even though we weren't as mobile as we liked we went for it."
    "That's remarkable Corporal"
    "We must've looked a right pair 'obblin' down the road in the gear I knocked off from the wards during our stay sir - we went in the middle of the night, no one noticed we 'ad gone. We got to the airfield before first light an' found a kite on the end of the line that was fuelled an' ready to go. I got Mr Keye in the cockpit somehow and 'e figured out the switches an' that an' as first light came, an' he could see the field, 'e got me to swing the prop an' we were off , got away clean"

"Well done" enthused Uncle.
    As he listened to the story unfold his mind wandered to the after action report of A/Capt MacRevis following that mornings Dawn Patrol...

"We was fine 'til we got near the lines then three scouts jumped us - new types I've not seen before - I didn't shoot at 'em, didn't seem right some'ow."

Name:	SAM_7128.JPG 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	187541
    A/Capt MacRevis' report " We hadn't long crossed the lines on our dawn patrol when I spotted a two-seater below us, Rumpler I think, I was surprised it was so low but wasn't going to miss the opportunity and led the boys down on it...."
    "- the first one 'it us both I think. It gets abit 'azy then sir...."

Name:	SAM_7130.JPG 
Size:	244.6 KB 
ID:	187540
    MacRevis: I raked it from stem to stern - can't be sure but I think I hit both the crew...."
    "Funny thing was some 'Un came to 'elp us out sir....Red Albatros"

Name:	SAM_7138.JPG 
Size:	192.4 KB 
ID:	187542
    MacRevis: A Hun in a red kite with skulls appeared out of nowhere,
    "'E 'ad a go at one of ours that was 'avin' a go at us .... for a moment I almost didn't know who to cheer for !"

Name:	SAM_7149.JPG 
Size:	221.7 KB 
ID:	187543
    MacRevis: He had a go at Sgt Cade and caused him a bit of damage...
    "but 'e didn't seem to see one of the others coming up behind 'im - 'e must've 'ad a shock ! "

Name:	SAM_7154.JPG 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	187544
    MacRevis:... but didn't seem to be aware of me until I was on him, that seemed to put him off a bit !
    "We was goin' to make it - I could see the lines - we'd been properly shot up an' on fire at one point ...."

Name:	SAM_7145.JPG 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	187546
    MacRevis: Cade had set them on fire with his first pass and he and Hammer harassed them
    "Those boys knew their stuff sir, they didn't arf knock us about, one of 'em jammed I think..."

Name:	SAM_7157.JPG 
Size:	235.3 KB 
ID:	187547
    MacRevis: The boys kept on the Rumpler while I kept the Albatros entertained..

Name:	SAM_7161.JPG 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	187549

"Nearly there we were,"

Name:	SAM_7160.JPG 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	187550

"but they was like a dog wiv a bone an' we got 'it in the tail and that was our lot. Down we went...."

Name:	SAM_7165.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	187548
    MacRevis: The Rumpler was just about to cross the lines when Cade finished it off with a long range shot in the tail and we saw it go down into no mans land

"We landed just in the wire on our side an' I was thrown out"
    "What about Mr Keye Corporal ?"
    "'E didn't make it sir, the crash you see..."
    "I'm sorry, I didn't know"
    "'E got me back sir. I wouldn't be 'ere now if not for him"
    "He did well...Tom, damned well."
    "E's a bloody 'ero sir, that's what 'e is"
    "Yes indeed, and so are you Corporal. Now you get some rest and we'll see about getting you back to Blighty for some well deserved leave"
    "Thank you sir" said Gunn as he closed his eyes and lay back on the cot.

Uncle returned to the airfield as quietly as he'd left. After a brief consultation with the C.O. they decided that this story was best left untold to the rest of the squadron lest it upset the morale of the chaps especially Sgt Cade. It was a victory that Uncle found hard to celebrate and he made his excuses from the Sgts Mess earlier than expected that night.

Butchers Tally:

Lt Donald Keye SD-FT / WIA / 0 Kills
    Rolled 2 -1SD -1WIA -1 NML = KIA
    Cpl Thomas Gunn SD-FT / WIA / 0 Kills
    Rolled 8 -1SD -1WIA -1 NML = 5 Injured - Skip 1D3 Scenarios. Rolled 5 = Skip 3
    E&E: Rolled 8 -1WIA -1WIC +1NML = 7 Landed almost home! - Skip 1 Scenario. Total Skipped = 4

Name:	SAM_7166.JPG 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	187551

A/Cpt Phillip MacRevis RTB / 0 Kills (L)
    F/Sgt Barry Cade RTB / 1 kill (C)
    2Lt Bradley Hammer RTB / 0 Kills (R)

Name:	SAM_7169.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	187552

Ltn Helmut Fichter RTB / 0 kills

Name:	SAM_7168.JPG 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	187553
    He now has some splaining to do as to how when test flying his C.O's new kite it ended up full of holes !
    Last edited by flash; 02-15-2016 at 07:23.

"He is wise who watches"

How I did it ...
    Pre game I rolled to see when the three Camels would arrive over the first three turns - as luck would have it it was 1-2-3 !
    I also diced (D12) to see where they would appear in relation to the Rumpler and their altitude - which they all maxed on !
    As MacRevis came on at 11 o'clock and next turn hammer would come on at 9 o'clock I slid the start position of the Rumpler back a bit to maximise its time on the table - this probably proved to be the fatal decision for them but I allowed them to crash into NML as a result - and they were literally on the edge of the table when they copped it !
    Neither of the crew made it back to the fight in the end. I think a delayed recommendation of another MC for Keye may have been awarded in light of his bravery.
    Last edited by flash; 02-14-2016 at 02:44.

"He is wise who watches"

A really entertaining read - I can hear Gunn's accent as 'e tells 'is story, an' right well 'e did, too!

Perhaps there will be hope for my Schmidt after all...

Thumbs up

Very nice spin on the mission Dave!
    Loved the interview in the Hospital & the inserted Combat Reports by your Pilot.

Another flash classic!

That was one aggressive caravan (herd) of Camels! Nasty buggers, they are. Well flown, and an enjoyable read.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    ... I can hear Gunn's accent as 'e tells 'is story, an' right well 'e did, too!...
    Thanks Pete - wanted to emphasise that other rank / officer feel in the story - couldn't go too much further with it or you chaps over the pond mightn't 'ave unnerstood a flippin' word !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    couldn't go too much further with it or you chaps over the pond mightn't 'ave unnerstood a flippin' word !
    I'm a Lancashire Lad - I think I could manage it

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    I'm a Lancashire Lad - I think I could manage it
    Someone will have to translate for me then !

"He is wise who watches"

Nice AAR Dave. Well done for getting the show on the road. Half way through the month and still not got the table set for this one.

Might try a Geordie/ Mackem version

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Well done Dave. Now that was a damn good read, very entertaining.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Exceptional AAR. Thoroughly enjoyed the report and the memories of the morning report. Keep up the great work.

Thanks chaps, glad you enjoyed my take on it

"He is wise who watches"

Great angle on this one Dave. Loved the 'batman' ploy that kept them together. Quite the escape. Too bad about Keyes though.

Well the chaps have said it all Dave.
    The way you wrote your action report is worthy of a Booker, but you will have to settle for some rep I'm afraid.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thankyou kind sir, enjoying mixing it up a little with my presentations

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Thanks Pete - wanted to emphasise that other rank / officer feel in the story - couldn't go too much further with it or you chaps over the pond mightn't 'ave unnerstood a flippin' word !
    My years of watching Monty Python, Blackadder and Red Dwarf have prepared me for your AAR. Got it loud and clear. Nicely done, and good idea to keep a lid on it for morale's sake.

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTTED Scenario 20: Unexpected Returns.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 02-09-2016, 11:02
  2. AAR OTTED Mission 14: Retrieve the Spy - February 14th 1917
    By Stumptonian in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-07-2016, 12:29
  3. AAR OTTED Mission 14 - February 14th 1917 - Retrieve the Spy !
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-18-2015, 01:40
  4. AAR OTTED Mission 14 - Flash Retrieves the Spy - 14th February 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 10:36
  5. OTTED Mission 14 - February 14th 1917 - Retrieve the Spy !
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2015, 06:18