Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warbirds Over The Beach 2016

Lightbulb Warbirds Over The Beach 2016

Warbirds Over The Beach 2016 May 20th through 22nd.

If you are planning to visit Virginia this May consider attending the air show. With the 190 and 109 in the line up it should be a great weekend. We will be returning for the third year with WW2 air games. Always a fun up close show with reenactors and some always interesting visiting aircraft. Not many details yet but a good time to order your tickets.

Rich

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/ww2-airshow.html

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/about.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOB_General_Info_16.jpg   P5170029.jpg   P5160015.jpg   P5050075.jpg   P5050072.jpg  

I was checking out the SS John Brown site and see that the ship will be in Norfolk the weekend of the show. There is an open house to tour the ship and a cruse on Sunday the 22nd. I did the cruse out of Baltimore and it was great. I don't know if they will have a flyover on the cruise like the one I went on. If so it was great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3233.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	188023

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3597.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	188024

Here is one of the ship and another of the B-25 (Briefing Time) that did a flyover.

Bob

That is an other great reason to visit. I will ask the if the Museum will be doing a flyover.

Rich

I checked the Brown site and they say there will be a flyover. I figured you would check.

Bob

I had that confirmed! There will be a fly over but no details yet.

Rich

Four weeks and counting! I will be running a Operation Cerberus scenario Saturday and Sunday. There will also be a 10mm ground game.

Rich

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/wotb/index.html

I will unfortunately be missing the airshow for the first time in several years. Jodi and I will be traveling in Belize at the time. The last two weeks of May worked out too well for vacation. It is in between her spring and summer semesters for school. That means one less person with her French Resistance unit, too.

David

You both will be missed! Have a great time!

Rich

Sorry you miss the show. I am sure I will see you and Jodi at the tank farm open house in Sept. Enjoy your vacation.

Bob

Two weeks and counting! The P-38`s have arrived from Japan!

Rich

Wish I could make it Rich.
    It is nearly a year since we met.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Bob

See you there. Stuart and JJ will there also.

Rich

Rob

I am sorry you will miss it. Meeting both of you was the highlight of our year. We enjoyed every moment of it!

Rich

One week and counting! Still do not know where we will be set up.

Rich

Good luck to you Richard.
    The Museum just sent me information about the show.
    Must have got the info from the purchases we made or the Visitors book I guess.
    I would have loved to be there with you all again.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Rob

I know you would enjoy yourself! Seeing Mossy fly is a thrill! You just had a taste when it taxied last year.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P6080098.jpg   P6070043.jpg   P6130006.jpg  

Another tease Mossy leaving for Oshkosh last year. This was done by one of the local photographers. Watch the whole series.

Rich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh3t...783yi&index=12

Superb footage Rich.
    I would be in my element to be with you.
    It does not get much better than that unless you can hitch a ride.
    Thanks for posting this.
    Rob.

Rob

You are welcome. I consider myself luck to have the museum and their events. If you follow the link the museums outside camera is up and running again. If you are up in the middle of the night next Week end you my see some of the comings and goings! The second link is the flight schedule.

Rich

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.org/webcams.html#

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.or.../schedule.html

The Gaming tables will set up in the Navy Hanger.

Rich

Smile

King of the show this year! The setup day was perfect! In the first photo look over the right wing of the P-51! A low pass. Follow the link to a video of the pass.

Rich

https://www.facebook.com/FighterFactory/#
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5190001.jpg   DSC00030.jpg   P5190003.jpg  
    Last edited by richard m schwab; 05-20-2016 at 14:46.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    King of the show this year! The setup day was perfect! In the first photo look over the right wing of the P-51! A low pass.

Rich
    Well, I was looking above the tree line, thinking Rich had made a mistake with the photo in question, then STREWTH!!!!!
    I see it now, but I don't believe it!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Very nice pictures thanks for sharing.

Tim

That was it`s first flight since being reassembled! Low and fast, i thought the pilots who flew planes in the movie Battle of Brittan were low!!!!

Rich

Gordon Bennett Baz.

He could have been mowing the airfield at that height.

I am impressed!
    Rob.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.
    Like Tim I was looking too high at first.
    The video on Facebook is great as well.

Thumbs up

Rob

You are close, they had just mowed and he was blowing the clippings off! A very impressive first first flight!

Rich

Pete

I was lucky to have caught it at all. You see how fast he was moving! Just lucky someone caught it on video!

Rich

Today was a washout. It poured down rain at times, they may get to fly tomorrow. This photo was taken yesterday afternoon.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5=20-16.jpg  

Bob

See you there. Stuart and JJ will there also.

Rich
    Almost, but take off was delayed due to fog at our forward operating base. Bad weather over the IP broke up the formation and interfered with on board navigation equipment. 10/10ths cloud cover over primary target, mission aborted, returned to home base, bomb load jettisoned over mountains. Further operations suspended for lack of fuel

Unhappy

Stuart

I am sorry you missed it! Still all gray skies here. With a 20% chance of rain who knows if the runway will dry enough to allow any flying!

Rich

Smile

I borrowed this great shoot from Liza. Taken Friday on the low and fast pass!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 109 low pass.jpg  

Rich
    That's an awesome shot
    Thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you guys has such a rough time of it Rich.
    I know how much you look forward to Warbirds each year.
    Rob.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

That last pic with the 190 and 262 and Spit is marvelous, Rich! And the close-up of the 109 is beautiful...

What a lucky guy you are to see these flying versions on a regular basis.

All the best,
    Matt

Rich
    Like a speeder bike on Endor!

Super shot!
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Liza does some incredible photography.They did get some flying in today! Low ceiling and a drizzling rain stopped it, that plus worse was coming in. They taxied the 109 around to show her off. That DB 605 has a distinct sound. We did get some gaming in today. I introduced the game to several visitors.

Rich

Smile

Sorry to hear of the lousy weather spoiling the show Richard.
    Thanks for that fantastic shot of the 109!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    So it ended by crashing into a tree?

>;)

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    So it ended by crashing into a tree?

>
    Nah, he had the Force with him
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I found out the first flight was done by an experienced 109 pilot. He came down from Canada to check out the bird and give instruction to the pilots who will be flying it. Not many people are qualified to fly a 109!

Rich

Smile

A couple shots i took Friday when the sun was out and from one of the games. The reconstructed RAF Goxhill control tower is coming along nicely!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5200019.jpg   P5200011.jpg   P5200012.jpg   P5190001.jpg   P5220022.jpg  

P5220020.jpg  

Default German camo

That's a pretty unusual paint job on the German battlecruiser! Dazzle paint and biplanes - does this mean you have seen the light and are coming over to WW1?

Thumbs up

Stuart

Unfortunately that the underside of my battleship. The Stringbag`s nailed it! Of course they swam home also! We played one game Saturday and one Sunday plus several pure air to air Sunday.

Rich

That's what Stringbags do Rich, but usually to Italian Battleships.
    Rob.

Glad y'all got some flying hours in; from my perspective I was glad I did travel back Saturday afternoon as the weather really worsened over the Blue Ridge. The mountains can be an adventure cross even in perfect weather.

If you ever want to run a Pacific version of this, I have 1/1800 scale Axis & Allies task force ships you would be welcome to use.

Smile

Rob

I cannot complain. I sank one Saturday with two Beauforts. The Huns had a 110 on patrol and forced the crews to race back home in their dinghies!

Rich

Stuart

Oh how well i know that route! I always love when the fog in mountains signs start flashing on a clear day. Then you cannot see thirty yards while you dodge 18 Wheeler`s as they crawl up the grade! My worst trip was going up in thunderstorms and 2 inch hail. I was driving a car with a sun roof. I thought the hail would crack the windshield and sun roof! The sun was out in Waynesboro. The Pacific is on the horizon for August!

Rich

Rob

I cannot complain. I sank one Saturday with two Beauforts. The Huns had a 110 on patrol and forced the crews to race back home in their dinghies!

Rich
    Should have gone to Inshore rescue savers.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Warbirds Over The Beach 2014
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 05-14-2014, 18:52
  2. Warbirds Over The Beach 2013
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 13:47
  3. Warbirds Over The Beach 2013