Ares Games

Thread: gaming mat

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

Default gaming mat

So I've been looking at gaming mats. Now don't get me wrong the WOW mats are ok but 1. everyone has them and 2. They just not my cup of tea.

So I spotted these http://terrainmat.com/MicroMatWesternFront1.1.html

I think ide prefer a western front looking map

Has anyone had one and if so what are the like quality wise?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions for a 6ft by 4ft?
    Last edited by Big chris; 02-04-2016 at 15:06.

That looks nice! And the BOB one is great too.

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    That looks nice! And the BOB one is great too.
    I know I'm just hoping there not too good to be true

Hi Chris,
    Yes I have one of these mats, they are nice and the trench system looks good.
    The disadvantages though are, they are quite expensive, but I like mine so it was worth it.
    Second it is made with a sand like texture, so as you can image there is quite a bit of bits coming adrift , so always sand in the bottom of the bag. Ladtly they are all hand made hense it you buy two or get a mate to get one, they might not match.
    Mine looks like it is around say 1500 m height, a friend also has one but his look like 1000m height, I hope you understand what I mean.
    We are due to go to Triples next month if you are likely to pop along Ill bring my mat over to show you if you would like.

So although they are nice, I dont use mine too much due to the sand coming adrift to be honest, its not drastic but it does happen,well on mine at least

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hi Chris,
    The disadvantages though are, they are quite expensive, but I like mine so it was worth it.
    Second it is made with a sand like texture, so as you can image there is quite a bit of bits coming adrift , so always sand in the bottom of the bag. Ladtly they are all hand made hense it you buy two or get a mate to get one, they might not match.
    Mine looks like it is around say 1500 m height, a friend also has one but his look like 1000m height, I hope you understand what I mean.
    We are due to go to Triples next month if you are likely to pop along Ill bring my mat over to show you if you would like.

So although they are nice, I dont use mine too much due to the sand coming adrift to be honest, its not drastic but it does happen,well on mine at least
    that's puts me off a bit as the Mrs may take a rusty butter knife to me for the mess every time I unrolled it in the house

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Big chris View Post
    that's puts me off a bit as the Mrs may take a rusty butter knife to me for the mess every time I unrolled it in the house
    Reminds me of my first custom gaming mats which I still have and still use occasionally. I made two of out of Javis model railway grass-sheets onto which I popped some 3D Scenery items ... Only to leave green grass specs EVERYWHERE I took these gaming mats including all over my Local Gaming Store floor when I used to play Galactic Models Gaming Nights on Wednedsays!!! In fact I am looking into the corner of my computer room where I had these two mats two weeks ago - ACTUALLY I've taken a photo especially for you of the only down side of this otherwise thoroughly inventive idea ...

Name:  8. The Green Green Grass Of Home!.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  198.8 KB

In use though they look like this:

Name:  100_6253.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  108.3 KB

Cost is high but looks great. I better start saving.

I usually play against my brother one of these, their great. I remember he laid it flat for a week when he first got it. Not sure why but it works fine. They do have a sandy texture and a few bits came lose when it was new, but great for gaming on and nothing falls off now. Here's some pictures showing the mat texture. I really like the mat. There's loads of pictures of this mat in my photos. I hope this helps.

Ian

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

yep shed kill me for that one so have you any idea how I can get a trench's map without the mess? looked all over internet for a printed map like the WOW ones but to no avail. have I missed a company?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

yep shed kill me for that one so have you any idea how I can get a trench's map without the mess? looked all over internet for a printed map like the WOW ones but to no avail. have I missed a company?
    This might work - I knew this was on my laptop somewhere

Name:  9. The Green Green Grass Of Hetty!.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  164.6 KB

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    This might work - I knew this was on my laptop somewhere

Name:  9. The Green Green Grass Of Hetty!.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  164.6 KB
    even if I hoover and shampoo she'd know........ SHE'D KNOW!!!
    Last edited by Big chris; 02-04-2016 at 16:13.

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

Just spotted this one but I'm still hunting

http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-wwi.html

Just spotted this one but I'm still hunting

http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-wwi.html
    Hotz is good, I have one for the trenches. For behind the lines, where most of the action occured, I use a blanket printed with a high-res air photo.

So I've been looking at gaming mats. Now don't get me wrong the WOW mats are ok but 1. everyone has them and 2. They just not my cup of tea.

So I spotted these http://terrainmat.com/MicroMatWesternFront1.1.html

I think ide prefer a western front looking map

Has anyone had one and if so what are the like quality wise?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions for a 6ft by 4ft?
    I have one, and I've been pretty happy with it. My experience has been similar to Chris' (little bits of texture adrift after play), but the mat sure looks nice. The photography isn't top-notch, but you can see the mat from a number of angles and distances in the following AAR: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...702#post205702

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

I was just thinking could you use a can of hairspray to help everything stick to the matt? I know some of the old boys do it with scenery and stuff like train tracks to make sure bits stick?
    Last edited by Big chris; 02-05-2016 at 00:35.

Morning chaps
    Check out the thread attached I used the file and had it printed at 6'x4' for Ł45.00 on banner material it works out cheaper than using the Wings of Glory sheets for the same area and gives a great play mat?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ain-free-files!

Regards Kev

Regarding the Hotz mat, I've got a few of these as well. Really good. I usually get one side with hexes and the other side without. I did have to pay customs duty on one delivery to the UK so the price may go up.

Ian

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

that's bloody nice! (need a few trench lines adding though ) what would I have to do though? contact a company and copy and paste the picture? I'm not much of a tec head unfortunately

Name:  SMALL_wings_of_war_game_matComp.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  197.4 KB

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Hi Chris,

so do you thing there would be a good way to strengthen then by adding a spray or some sort of sealant?

Users Country Flag

Name
    chris
    Sorties Flown

So ive ordered a western front mat http://terrainmat.com/MicroMatWesternFront1.1.html . I will post pictures and a review when it comes.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

QUESTION: Are the official Wings of Glory Gaming Mats back out of print again or are they still available please?

The reason I am asking is that my LGS Caliver Books is selling them for Ł45.00 each!

When I purchased my last two reprinted gaming mats as re-released by Ares Games in September 2015 I paid Ł27.50 for the first one and Ł26.50 for the second from a Seller on E-Bay.

Not sure about your side of the Pond, Barney, but they're still available from a number of distributors in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    QUESTION: Are the official Wings of Glory Gaming Mats back out of print again or are they still available please?
    So I did a little digging, Barney, and all three versions of Ares' game mats are available in limited quantities (Countryside [5], City [10], and Coast [11]) for Ł27.99 each on Amazon (UK).

Here's a link to the search: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...glory+game+mat

Not sure what's up with Caliver's pricing structure... but this isn't the first time they've been a little out of whack.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    So I did a little digging, Barney, and all three versions of Ares' game mats are available in limited quantities (Countryside [5], City [10], and Coast [11]) for Ł27.99 each on Amazon (UK).

Not sure what's up with Caliver's pricing structure... but this isn't the first time they've been a little out of whack.
    for your help on this one Christopher - this is what I thought and was thinking price-wise too. Need a coastal mat so we have all three though the maximum number the Wife and I actually need to play at home is just two mats.

Caliver Books as my LGS is steadily driving me bonkers! Especially after the complaints which came pouring in after Vapartnak! Embarrassed to admit they are my LGS but the problem is visiting them is always a pleasure and an experience ... Plus I also like visiting shops because you can see what you are buying before parting with your hard-earned cash and also buy from a human being. Rather than internet shopping / virtual shopping all the time where I have been diddled with broken twice now but fortunately both were repairable

Snr management got mine from Barttlefield Hobbies (formerly known as Stafford Games) Barney try asking them - jack@battlefieldhobbies.co.uk

"He is wise who watches"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Snr management got mine from Barttlefield Hobbies (formerly known as Stafford Games) Barney try asking them - jack@battlefieldhobbies.co.uk
    Yep: Given how highly Stafford Games was thought of amongst Members this is worth a go - will do.

One of these days Dave I'll buy you that I owe you - owed you as you have helped me out LOADS just recently

That's where she got two of mine from for Christmas, one being the coast mat, and one she got via Amazon.

"He is wise who watches"

Mickowenuk's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Mick
    Sorties Flown

May be worth looking at Tiny Wargames here in the UK too
    http://www.tinywargames.co.uk/#!wings/g9ti1
    This is a new one from them I believe. Saw the quality of their mats as they were trading at beachhead the other week, quality looked good, though a few folks were saying they were a little on the pricy side. Leave you guys to decide on that one.

Similar Missions

1. New-to-me Gaming Con
    By zenlizard in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 06:20
  2. Our Last Bit of Gaming for 2013
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-02-2014, 11:25
  3. Gaming mat
    By Mclags in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2