Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airco DH.4 - Which one?

Phew ! Thanks for the update Steve - you had me worried for a moment ! The 1-2 engine damage gets over the multi-engine v engine damage card availabilty issue - so it's 5 'engine damage' to drop this beast !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Yes, I've never been so glad to be wrong about something in this game! Was definitely a "wah wah" sad trombone moment for both players when the Staaken went down so seemingly easy.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Just quickly my interest in the Airco DH.4 which this thread has inspired is probably about to get my socks shot off ...

Going to be sampling life as an Airco DH.4 jockey in my next game against Richard (Seville) whose a friend of mine from Derby. Has been playing WGF for six months now. Versus my six HOURS experience game experience in total ... Great!

Aircraft I'll be playing sounds like the Bartlett / Naylor Edition: RFC with B / A guns is the description Richard has given me. Definitely NOT playing the RNAS version as he doesn't own one of those yet. Further to what's on Page 1 has anybody any further advice / things I ought to know given my experience level about this aircraft? MANY THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    Aircraft I'll be playing sounds like the Bartlett / Naylor Edition: RFC with B / A guns ...
    That's one of my favorite versions... I'm a fan of the twin-Lewis mount.

As a DH.4 guy, I'm somewhat biased, but you should find it a tough nut. Though it lacks a reversal, it's fast ("H" Deck), well-armed, and robust. Slower scouts will struggle to keep pace and, depending upon the mission parameters, faster ones may only get a couple of firing passes. "A" guns are a pretty-healthy sting, and one with a generous firing arc. Do what you can to keep your opponent out of your bind spot (directly behind, and also below if you're playing with altitude).

If not playing with altitude, this kite can be a serious challenge for most single-seat scouts. Altitude levels the playing field somewhat, as the DH.4 doesn't climb all that well, especially if loaded with bombs.

Remember that your firepower forward isn't great, so head-on passes might put you at a disadvantage... unless you can get them both coming and going.

Best of luck!

I just took one out with a Breguet Br.14. Note singular. >;)

Hint: Staakens are painfully weak in the forward arc, and slow to boot.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Christopher for the DH.4 appraisal and for wishing me good luck

The game has happened earlier on and I was indeed flying the Bartlett / Naylor Edition. As Richard described to me it was indeed the RFC A / B Gunned Airco DH.4 and I took a liking to the aircraft early on during the first game. Bear in mind that I only have about six hours experience playing WGF. Then I found out that my opposition was a Halberstadt CL.II in the hands of Richard von Seville started playing WGF six months ago. The Rule Book we were using was from the Ares Games WGF001A Duel pack and we warmed up with a basic rules game. 25 minutes into play and von Seville draws a Boom Card. End of Game One / 9 turns played in 25 minutes. Riddled with bullet holes the Airco DH.4 is whistling along like a steam train but is still flying ...

Game Two lasted longer after MADAM Repairs were made to my whistling DH.4 and von Seville had supposedly walked back to billet and been lent another CL.II - can't remember which Edition but I'll ask him. Now this was far more Fly For Your Life in a game which lasted nearly 40 minutes and we think it was around 15 Turns. One of my crew became incapacitated as von Seville thanks to a wrong turning taken by me be began a tail chase. Now the end of this game was a collision after he flew too close to me and I about-turned: CLUNK!

With one point left the Airco DH.4 left the spinning Halberstadt CL.II to it and flying by the seat of my pants I remained in the air. With the rest of my pants probably being used as rudder cables at this point! We agreed that von Seville came to rest in a conveniently placed French haystack ... Two Halberstadt downings with two Airco survivals: Two excellent games which takes my WGF playing experience total up to seven hours. Would I do it again - HELL YES!

to Galactic Models in Derby City Centre for letting us meet up in their gaming room during opening hours today.

Richard told me that I'd be fine going back there after I wasn't so sure after November 2015. Absolutely nothing to worry about as George was in charge of the shop today and wondered where I had been / said I'd been sourly missed. Let him know the truth about rehab etc which made him even more glad to see me & say that I was welcome at the shop anytime contrary to the way I was thinking before. They are still not an Ares Games stockist ... yet but the shop had an excellent Xmas financially and their Ares Games supplier (order-in) situation has been dramatically improved as well. All in all a good day

Christopher for the DH.4 appraisal and for wishing me good luck
    My pleasure, sir!

HELL YES!
    Good to hear! And the Halberstadt CL.II is no slouch, itself... especially when played with a Roland C.II-type base which allows for a more realistic arc of fire for Franz' Parabellum MG14.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Airco DH5
    By Embis in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 00:33
  2. WSF My Airco DH.9
    By flash in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 13:47
  3. WSF Airco DH 5 x 2
    By clipper1801 in forum Shapeways Models