Ares Games

Thread: DGP Time - Damn Good erm ... Drink Up Time is here again!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Cool DGP Time - Damn Good erm ... Drink Up Time is here again!

Two reasons for wanting to hold another DGP at the mess. All and on me for the following two reasons ...

There goes Flypast One to mark one year since I joined the Aerodrome. What a fantastic year it has been during which I have met so many kind-hearted and genuine folks on here who are able to share the same passions regarding the two World Wars and the game. Along with the odd Vulcan or two! There have of course been a few occasions where my disability has meant that I have either not been myself or been unable to play.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and the messages and at times advice I have received whilst feeling unwell. This will never be forgotten

There have also been a few crashes fires and spins ... Hasn't there Ben? (Blimey remember HIM?!) But the Aerodrome in general has taught me in the event of these to dust myself off and not take such matters to heart - to listen to people who are telling me I'm not my friend whose made a fool of himself and to carry on being me: Keep Calm and Carry On.

Then ... Flypast two has just gone overhead as I've been given a DISCHARGE DATE from rehab!!! All being well I will be out by next Friday as I have continued to make good progress and the new medication is working out fine. However I am reliably informed that my large fleet of diecast 1/72 aircraft will be sorely missed by one member of staff in particular who I hope to be able to stay in touch with.

So Let us eat drink and be merry ... Whose first?

Is it really only a year..? Here's mud in your eye

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Barney,
    Awesome! The time is going by too quickly (for some things, not enough for others, I suppose).

Glad to know you, and even more to share your passion. Hope to get across a table with you, even if virtually.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Congratulations, Barney! Good you are here

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I'm in. It's been great having you here this last year and I'm glad you are about to be set free. You have added quite a bit to this site in the last year and I am looking forward to see what you have up your sleeve for the next year.

Set me up a drink and I'll get the grill going.

Quote Originally Posted by Setarius View Post
    I'm in. It's been great having you here this last year and I'm glad you are about to be set free. You have added quite a bit to this site in the last year and I am looking forward to see what you have up your sleeve for the next year.

Set me up a drink and I'll get the grill going.
    Agreed! Drink up!

Cheers for your first year at the Drome. The beginning of a new year and you are aiming upwards!

Congrats on your anniversary Barney, maybe we will see you at a show soon

Congratulations on completing a year here with us, Tonx! You have done a great deal in a year. Congratulations too on your imminent discharge from rehab!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad to hear your discharge is imminent...time to get back to the more enjoyable things in life!

Congrats on your anniversary - like others have said, you add much to the Forum. I look forward to your healthful return!

All the best,
    Matt

Good news on your imminent discharge from rehab. Congratulations on one year at the 'drome!

Congratulations on both counts, Barney.
    So I guess that calls for a double ...

Thumbs up

Gee Barney seems like you have been here a lot longer that 12 months.

So glad to hear the good news that you will be returning to the Front after your sojourn in Hospital.

I won't be the first, Barney, but I will happily join in the revelry. Next round is on me... and my first game in (far too many) months will be next Friday in honor or your impending discharge... and return to the Front(?). Whoa. So far as I understand... that's not the way it's supposed to happen. Whatever. I shall suit up and sally forth with your good health firmly in mind.

Be well, sir, and may the skies be clear.

Congratulations Barney - both on the anniversary and the imminent discharge date

Well congrats on both counts Barney. See you at Donnie again?
    Stay well

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

THANK YOU EVERYONE! Hope you are enjoying those drinks as much as I have enjoyed your company over this last year <- Fanta Orange BTW!!!

Well done old chap.
    A year and not shot down.
    Really pleased about your getting out of jankers too.
    Hope to see you at Hammerhead.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well done.

One year of continuos Aerodrome engagement.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

LOOP

One year Barney? Is it only one year???
    Seems to me that you been here like forever
    Allways a friendly comment, a thumbs up or some clever thoughts.
    I'll be happy to raise a pint to celebrate your first year. May it be a 100 more

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Jankers - I had totally forgotten that one Sir! as that made me laugh.

It's looking like Hammerhead for me next as I cannot make this weekend at Vapartnak / York. Especially as first game-wise Hammerhead 2015 was significant to my playing career - and the Wife's too in fact. That's what started the Circuits and Bumps thread in fact as a thank you for such an excellent day and introduction to the game. JohnBiggles as my live tutor and the WingCo as the Wife's will probably never fade from memory and I'd like them both to know that.

Which brings me around nicely to Per-Gunnar above. SO VERY MUCH for those kind words from you I found that really touching

Schizo-Affective Disorder can hack away at me and my brain as much as it likes but I still refuse to change from being that conscientious encouraging person who occasionally does put his foot in it (! - yes. Ball Turrets yesterday being my latest) and that this site has got to know me as.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Default Discharged From Rehab Early - February 8th 2016!

If anyone was listening to BBC Radio 2 today and heard the dedication to Barney Dunkin from The Rest Of Chopper Squad ... It's true. It has finally happened. But I have been discharged earlier than I was expecting to be this coming Friday.

So It's Official: I AM DISCHARGED FROM REHAB.

When I came home today I originally intended it to be after a trip to the library to go and read about Airco DH.4s and then sneak back home for a quick Solitaire game. But the rumours started circulating over the weekend that my room was earmarked for another inbound patient. It was just as well that I carefully packed up the five 1/72 diecast models I had on display having heard this from the night watchman (the Stuka fan.) I was first into ward round this morning which is where I received the news that I was actually being discharged today instead of Friday. No way I was chancing a bus ride with cargo x 5 on board so I rang a taxi and was home by lunchtime.

Sadly I'm unable to stay in touch with the night watchman - regulations forbidding staff from fraternizing with patients have prevented this but he said that it would take him a long time to forget me and my diecast aircraft! This afternoon has been spent getting gradually back up to speed with Chopper Squad which having reformed is now busy. Sadly the retirement of the final H M Forces Westland Sea Kings from Search and Rescue duties is the reason why Chopper Squad are busy - At the twilight of it's career this ageing stalwart of British aviation has come to our assistance in this manner providing the four of us with tasks surrounding the organisations which will be handling SAR Duties after April 2016. Which will not be fully up to strength until at least 2018 so nobody go swimming into any rip currents or yachting accidents at the moment please ...

BTW - the song which was played was Heroes by David Bowie which over recent years has become synonymous with helicopter rescues.

BUT as a mark of respect I'm going to call a toast in this celebration:

To the Westland Sea King and the countless number of British lives which have been saved thanks to them in our Green and Pleasant Land

Hey that's great Barney, congrats!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Congratulations on being out and home again, and here's to the Westland Sea King.

Brilliant news, Barney!

I trust that upon your return to the Front, you will join me in raising a cuppa to your health, SAR teams everywhere, and the Queen. Bloody great to have you back, Captain.

I am really pleased to hear that you are back home Barney.
    A double toast therefore is certainly called for.
    Here is to yourself, and the Westland Sea King and her crews who have served us so well over the years.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. DGP Time: Damn Good ... Drink-Up!
    By Tonx in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-03-2015, 07:51
  2. Seems like a good excuse for a Drink!
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-29-2015, 17:52
  3. Time for a drink!!!
    By TGalante in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 12:51
  4. 3K up: time for a drink.
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-29-2014, 15:11
  5. It's Friday...Time for a drink and some good music.
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-20-2011, 12:39