Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Scenario 20: Unexpected Returns.

Default OTTED Scenario 20: Unexpected Returns.

Ground:
    2 mats, or equivalent area long side to long side.

Scenario:
    2 pilots/crewmen thought to be dead are very much alive.
    Suffering from amnesia after a bad crash their captors could not ascertain their identities. After a failed enemy attack had temporarily been thwarted what was left of their uniforms, muddied, torn and burned beyond recognition, looked much like ordinary infantry uniforms.
    However, after two long months convalescing they managed to escape, make it to any enemy airfield and steal a two-seater.

Mission:
    Get back to your lines !

Set up:
    Select an enemy two-seater that uses a K deck or use a K deck with whatever aircraft is selected - whichever is easiest.
    (or take the Immel from a V deck !)
    The two-seater starts 2 rulers onto the mat within 2 rulers of one corner of the mat/playing area and you must exit off at the opposite corner ie you will fly diagonally across the mat to exit the other long side edge within 2 rulers of the corner.

AI: 3 friendly scouts have spotted the sitting duck - your two-seater - and pounce for an easy kill.
    Use the clock method to set up the three scouts around your two-seater; then roll a d6: if you roll a 1 place the aircraft 2 rulers distant from the two-seater, if you roll a 5 or 6 place the aircraft 1 ruler distant from the two-seater; anything else place the aircraft 1.5 rulers distant from the two-seater.

But wait. What's this ? A single enemy scout has seen you being bounced and is coming to your aid !
    At the start of the second turn an enemy scout appears on the table - use the same method as above to bounce the 'friendly' scout nearest your two-seater.

Your dilemma, do you shoot your own aircraft down to escape or not ?

For your 2 escapees pick any of your crew previously shot down and killed or captured....Dave will sort the mess out later !

Optional:
    Wounded observer rules may be used.
    Phase in the arrival of your attackers or randomise them in some way but make sure the 'friendly kite' gets in in time to do something !

Total Victory - You escape without having shot down a friendly.
    Pyrrhic Victory - You escape but shot down a friendly to do so.

If you think you can signal your comrades in arms - think again - think 'secret signal' in Team America'... !

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Setup:
    2 mats

Player
    2pilots/crewmen thought dead are very much alive. Suffering from amnesia after their/his/ bad crash their captors could not ascertain their identities. Uniforms burned beyond recognition, and after a failed enemy attack had temporarily been thwarted their uniforms, what was left looked like an infantry uniforms.
    However after two long months convalescing they managed to escape, make it to any enemy airfield and steal a 2 seater.
    You start at 2 rulers in from one long edge of the playing area and you must make it off the other long edge.side.

AI
    3 friendly scouts have spotted the sitting duck. Your 2 seater. And pounce for an easy kill. But wait, what's this ? A single enemy scout has seen you being bounced and is coming to your aid.

Use a clock method to set up. Roll a dive for all attacking aircraft and place accordingly. Roll a second d6 if odds place the aircraft 2 rulers distant from the 2 seater if evens 1 ruler.

Your dilemma, do you shoot your own aircraft down to escape or not?

Apologies for any spelling but I'm seeing double, on a pad with predictive text.

Dave if you could polish this up I'd appreciate it.

For your 2 escapees pick any of your crew previously shot down and killed or captured.
    Last edited by flash; 02-08-2016 at 09:35. Reason: Update Options
    See you on the Dark Side......

I'll see what I can do Neil ! How's this: see above !!

The idea of using a K deck is that it's average speed and has no Immelmann, hopefully that will give the scouts a chance to catch them or at least keep pace with them and represent the use of an unfamiliar type if it should be a better performer.
    If you're up to a challenge you can use slower decks if you wish minus their Immelmann if they have one !
    Last edited by flash; 02-01-2016 at 09:30.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

From my sick bed smuggled phone. Cheers Dave.

Now to shift this and make York!

Interesting....a chance to bring a pilot back to life. A fascinating twist for the campaign!

Actually a chance to bring back 2. Not neccessarryl pilot's though.

Smile

Sure sound different!
    One thing I can state for certain is 2nd Lt Fish is NOT coming back he was definitely crisped!

Well I guess I will need to lose some personnel before Mission 20!
    5 to get done before then.

Man, I am really behind ....

Great idea Neil.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    5 to get done before then.

Man, I am really behind ....
    Don't worry Pete mission 19 will do that for you.
    Rob.,

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Don't worry Pete mission 19 will do that for you.
    Rob.,
    Just flew 19 this weekend. Haven't rolled for losses yet but most likely there will be more crew to pick from for Neil's (possible) life saving scenario. Then again, we could get ghosts from the past killing off our own current pilots!
    Last edited by Teaticket; 02-02-2016 at 08:51.

Battered or fried ?

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Sure sound different!
    One thing I can state for certain is 2nd Lt Fish is NOT coming back he was definitely crisped!

Battered or fried ?
    Nah Kippered Skipper

Stop taking the Night Nurse Neil , its doing your head in

Grimm and Reaper seem good candidates for my escape from Death, that's Bill Grimm and Ted Reaper.
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 02-02-2016 at 10:36.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Tombs and Stones are still alive, so there will be no "shades" of grey in my mission.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Nah Kippered Skipper

Grimm and Reaper seem good candidates for my escape from Death, that's Bill Grimm and Ted Reaper.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uq3xN_xEpc

Yes Way

Smile

Battered or fried ?
    Actually BOTH!
    First Battered then definitely Fried!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Nah Kippered Skipper

They sound like two characters from that TV Series "Grimm" I mentioned up in the Officers Club.

Question

I have a query for Neil or Dave.
    How is it intended to use the Clock code to establish where the Scouts appear around the 2 seater???

Use it in relation to your two-seater ie the nose of the target kite is 12, tail is 6, roll to see where your antagonists appear in relation to you. If you use altitude you can randomly determine if they start above, below or at the same level as you too...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Use it in relation to your two-seater ie the nose of the target kite is 12, tail is 6, roll to see where your antagonists appear in relation to you. If you use altitude you can randomly determine if they start above, below or at the same level as you too...
    Thanks Dave that clears it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Guess I tempted Fate with this post ....
    AAR for Mission 15 will be loaded in the next few days.

That sounds ominous Pete!
    Kyte.

If you want to phase in the arrival of your attackers or randomise them in some way feel free to do so, make sure the 'friendly kite' gets in in time to do something !
    I was thinking of dicing arrival of the attackers over the first three turns to spread them out a bit, with my 'friendly' arriving the turn after the second attacker has made his entry on whichever turn that may be.

Smile

I like your idea of "randomising" the attackers arrival.
    I also had an idea of adding a "cunning" twist but weather the "twist" occurs depends on something rather random happening.

I might PM you Dave with the idea to see it it fits into the spirit of the scenario.

As luck would have it mine arrived on turns one,two & three on the pre game dice throws, though I would suggest that if nothing is rolled in the first turns then start the game at the first turn a scout appears or your two-seater may be halfway down the table at kick off !
    Once I knew where mine were starting on the clock & at what distance I was able to adjust my start position to maximise time on the table.

Cheers Dave. I'm going off for a bit. So please direct all queries to Dave. He knows how I think.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Cheers Dave. I'm going off for a bit. So please direct all queries to Dave. He knows how I think.
    A bit of what Neil? Training for the Toon.

You got us beat but it's drowning men and clutching straws.

Similar Missions

1. U.S. Veteran Pilot returns to North Korea
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 19:44
  2. Unexpected Fun
    By sarge in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-04-2011, 17:18
  3. Many Happy returns Ken!