Ares Games

Thread: International Skype Game Invitation - 1917 Dogfight

Default International Skype Game Invitation - 1917 Dogfight

This is another instructional game for me, learning altitude, with Darell [grumpybear]. Lots of planes for everyone (Nieuports, Sopwith Camels and Triplanes, SPADs, Dr.1s, Albatros D.IIIs, D.Vas).

Again this is a game between me and Darell, primarily, the timings are not too bad for European players. Being a Saturday, perhaps Central and Eastern North American players can jump in.

Location Local time Time zone UTC offset
    Comox (BC) Saturday, Feb 13 at 10:00 AM PST UTC-8 hours
    Calgary (AB) Saturday, Feb 13 at 11:00 AM MST UTC-7 hours
    Chicago (USA) Saturday, Feb 13 at 12:00 PM CST UTC-6 hours
    New York (USA) Saturday, Feb 13 at 1:00 PM EST UTC-5 hours
    Morpeth (UK) Saturday, Feb 13 at 6:00 PM GMT GMT
    Talvern (France) Saturday, Feb 13 at 7:00 PM CET UTC+1 hour
    Opole (Poland) Saturday, Feb 13 at 7:00 PM CET UTC+1 hours
    Tokyo (Japan) Sunday, Feb 14 at 3:00 AM JST UTC+9 hours
    Toowoomba (Australia) Sunday, Feb 14 at 4:00 AM AEST UTC+10 hours
    Corresponding UTC (GMT) Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 18:00 0:00
    Glossary - UTC Coordinated Universal Time - the international basis for other time zones.
    Same time as for GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and Zulu time.

Anyway, I will be adapting the usual Skype view, using a method I saw in an AAR for a PBeM game on the Forum. Every plane will have an "Altitude" number beside the plane stand, so everyone can tell what the altitude is for each plane, even with the overhead view.
    Example: APRIL 2014 - Mark Gibbons - PBM
    Name:  Altitude4.png
Views: 224
Size:  11.2 KB

Besides throwing in altitude, do we want the random Ace Skill option? Everyone draws a B Damage Card, and I determine what, if any, skill the pilot gets. This will be as pilots sign in to the game on Skype. Ace Skill cards are posted in my album WGF Ace Skill Cards.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-03-2016 at 23:19. Reason: Apparently, I can't read a calendar... Saturday, 13 Feb 2016!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I was going to run this game at Games & Grounds, but they are running another Magic, The Gathering tourney this weekend. Too much noise for a Skype game.

I will be running this from the garage, and Shane [Skyguy001] will be joining me here. Darell [grumpybear] from Alberta is supposed to be leading the effort.

It appears Paul [tikkifriend] and Neil [Skafloc] are jumping in, too! If I can get Chris [fast.git] to send me his Skype ID, he may be spectating. Too much fun!
    Mike

Are straight up spectators allowed? Or only participants?

How do I get a Skype account?

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Are straight up spectators allowed? Or only participants?
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    How do I get a Skype account?
    Spectators are welcome, but you might end up playing...

Get a Skype account here: Skype.com - Account Signup Form

Once you have a Skype ID, please PM me with it. I will send you a Contact Request. Then, I will make a Group Call at the appointed time, and if you have Skype up and running, I can add you to the group when you answer.

You only need a microphone to join in the discussion, your screen will show you the playing area during the game.
    Mike

This is a webcam capture using the Skype Profile tool. I was attempting to get a look at the altitude markers. I hope this comes through better in a video call...

Name:  Picture of me 1.png
Views: 193
Size:  460.2 KB

If not, I have some graphics work to do. I might need full-sized business cards...
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    This is a webcam capture using the Skype Profile tool. I was attempting to get a look at the altitude markers. I hope this comes through better in a video call...

Name:  Picture of me 1.png
Views: 193
Size:  460.2 KB

If not, I have some graphics work to do. I might need full-sized business cards...
    they are readable

Mike are you using the climb rates from the rule book?

If you dive you loose 1 altitude peg and all climb counters?

If you over dive it's 2 pegs and all climb counters? (ie putting out fires)

Or are you using a simplified version of altitude?

Also need to know what aircraft I'm flying so I can sort out decks.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Mike cheers for another great game. The altitude certainly adds that missing dimension and made the game even better tonight.

Many thanks again for hosting.

(Paul we'd better not let on that Sunderland and Newcastle fans co-operated so well in this win after our debacle and your victory today!)

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Mike cheers for another great game. The altitude certainly adds that missing dimension and made the game even better tonight.

Many thanks again for hosting.

(Paul we'd better not let on that Sunderland and Newcastle fans co-operated so well in this win after our debacle and your victory today!)
    Like the man said. Darell sorry you got the double shots from us tonight . If Mike had stayed up in the air a bit longer we could have got him too

Great bit of fun as always and good to see fellow fliers from the other side of the Atlantic.

Role on the next one.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Thanks Mike for hosting, Paul and Neil for the action. Next time different outcome( I hope) Big thanks guys

After Action Report:

Well, I can't even take any solace from the fact that Neil's football team lost while we played. It obviously wasn't enough of a distraction to him.

Set-up:
    We started out with Neil flying his favorite plane, the Dr.1, and Paul decided to try out an Aviatik D.I. Darell took the Camel, and I went with a SPAD XIII. We each drew a B Damage Card for possible Ace Skills. No-one got any special damage, so nobody got an Ace Skill.

We started off at a head-on approach, and things when bad from there...

Oh, and we were using climbing turns for this game. Any card with a climb was half distance and one climb counter gained, an actual climb was two climb counters gained. A dive was all climb counters and an altitude lost, any other maneuver was full distance and one climb counter lost.

Name:  IMG_3203.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  91.3 KB
    The pictures were taken by holding the camera over the table at arms length. Sometimes, I took several images, and had a decent one. But not always...
    Everyone started at Alt 5.

The Game:
    Name:  IMG_3204.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  115.5 KB
    Darell descended a little, as Neil did a full climb. Paul stayed level and took the first shot of the game. This hurt.

Name:  IMG_3205.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  105.4 KB
    No shooting, as Paul and I tried to hold each other in our sights with stalls, as Neil and Darell passed each other by at different altitudes (Neil has dropped a climb counter and into Alt 5 with a wide turn).

Name:  IMG_3206.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  139.1 KB
    Neil just misses my back end, having dropped a bit, but I Immelmanned to get onto Paul's tail. Everyone is at Alt 5 at this point, with Darell's Immelmann getting him back to Alt 5. Paul slips in a half-straight climb.

Cat feeding break... More shortly.

Turn Three, and Neil is onto my six, as I come out of my Immelmann. It appears Paul is running away, and Darell turns to come after Neil.
    Name:  IMG_3207.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  131.7 KB

Darell saves me, but at cost. He gets all of Neil's attention, but at least got some return shots in. Paul's Immelmann takes him to Alt 6.
    Name:  IMG_3208.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  133.0 KB

Neil takes another wide turn, but towards me, and puts a few more rounds into my plane. I may have inadvertently acquired FO Kyte's Easy Immolation skill. I catch fire. Paul is coming back into the fight at a height advantage, and Darell misjudged Neil's plans.
    Name:  IMG_3209.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  125.5 KB

I start overdiving to put out the fire, but am running out of room! Neil has Immelmanned (going back to Alt 6) to go after Darell, but Darell has gone after Paul. Overlap and altitude keep them from shooting each other.
    Name:  IMG_3210.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  127.9 KB

I'm actually out of the playing area at the end of my overdive, and the flames are still burning. Paul misses Darell, and Neil is coming about.
    Name:  IMG_3211.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  167.5 KB

I try to get back into the arena, but burn more coming out of my Immelmann. Paul gets a piece of Darell (who has just completed a full climb, which puts him at long range. Darn!), and that pokey Dr.I is waaayyy out of the fight.
    Name:  IMG_3212.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  106.8 KB

Paul makes a wrong turn, and attempts to leave the play area. Darell is coming back around, and Neil is almost back in the fight.
    Name:  IMG_3214.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  134.5 KB

I don't have any choice at this point, as I am almost completely burnt up. I overdive attempting to land and get out of my burning plane. Darell turns into Neil, and actually tags him, despite Neil doing a full climb to Alt 7. Paul is turning back into the arena.
    Name:  IMG_3215.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  146.6 KB

Neil was trying to stay out of Darell's sights, and Darell undershoots him. Paul gets his nose around and puts a few rounds in Darell.
    Name:  IMG_3218.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  148.8 KB

Darell Immelmanns and catches a piece of Paul (but his guns jammed), as the smoking Neil is maneuvering out of Darell's way. I am almost in the trenches, hoping to survive the next turn of fire damage and make a landing (I did survive the A damage card).
    Name:  IMG_3220.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  116.9 KB

And Neil returns the favor, with a plus 1 shot from higher altitude, as Darell and Paul overlap. I am almost on the ground!
    Name:  IMG_3221.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  92.5 KB

Neil manages to keep Darell in his sights, and the plus 1 for altitude/following fire are adding up. Paul gets turned around. And I am on the ground, and out of my burning plane!
    Name:  IMG_3225.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  105.1 KB

I survived the burning, and the fire on the plane went out! So, I turned it around and took off. Darell gets a bullet sandwich from Neil and Paul. Waaayyy too much damage for him to survive.
    Name:  IMG_3226.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  95.7 KB

The Butcher's Bill:
    I survived, and I would have run away, really. With one point left, I wouldn't have taken on two enemy planes. Darell was drawing all the big damage cards from his double A Deck. Darell and I need to work on our maneuvering skills.
    Name:  IMG_3228.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  119.7 KB
    Neil had 5 damage with some smoke. Darell got 3 cards at plus 1, but that was too much when drawing "4"s (12 damage total in three cards). Paul got away with almost no damage. And I had more than half of my damage due to fire. The overdives were useless, except getting me on the ground before I burned as well.

Another great game, and the Aviatik D.I is a much better plane than the Albatros D.Va. A couple surprise maneuvers popped up that I wasn't expecting.

Thanks, gentlemen. Another great game.

To the spectators: How do the Alt Indicators look? Useful? Distracting? Individual players tracked their own climb counters, and we depended on honesty for the count. Although, with three of the four planes having a climb rate of 2, altitude changes were easy.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 02-13-2016 at 18:50.
    Mike

I would like to fly Central powers next time if possible. Still a great game

Sorry I missed this.
    Was hoping to be a spectator to get a better feel for altitude, but SWMBO had other plans ...

I'll send you my Skype request before the next outing.
    Looks like a great matchup.
    Thanks for posting the AAR

As a viewer of the AAR Mike the Alt counters look fine & really clarify the relative positions of the models.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

I now have a Skype account. I need to acquire the remaining tech, and I will be prepared to at least witness future bouts. Well done, gents!

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    I now have a Skype account. I need to acquire the remaining tech, and I will be prepared to at least witness future bouts. Well done, gents!
    Next proposed date is 27 Feb. Try and keep that date clear. Darell should propose the scenario. I have a bit of nearly everything officially put out, but some ones and twos. So, only one Brisfit, for example. Five Camels and four Albatroses D.Vas for another (which is why I put up the scenario above. And Paul asked for the one, and only, Aviatik D.I I own.

Hmmm... I need a few more of them, now that I've seen it fly.

Bob, a headset(with microphone), or an external microphone should be all you need, if your computer/laptop doesn't have one built in. I use my laptop's built in mic for these games.
    Mike

Like to play my Aviatik again Mike Got a half kill with that one

Same time, same Bat channel?

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Like to play my Aviatik again Mike Got a half kill with that one
    Same time, same Bat channel?
    You got one shared kill, and one shared "forced down"?

Darell will need to confirm the date, and the scenario. He wants to fly on the CP side. His avatar is an Albatros, after all. Perhaps we should be teaming up on them (Darell and Neil)? And we may have a few more people in the game, if Games & Grounds and I can get our schedules straight.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    You got one shared kill, and one shared "forced down"?

Darell will need to confirm the date, and the scenario. He wants to fly on the CP side. His avatar is an Albatros, after all. Perhaps we should be teaming up on them (Darell and Neil)? And we may have a few more people in the game, if Games & Grounds and I can get our schedules straight.
    Sounds good to me Mike . Spot of RFC flying is always good for the soul. The alt rules worked well I thought so happy to play them again .

Look forward to the fray.

Paul

I'll play any side jut let me know Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    I'll play any side jut let me know Mike.
    Except Chelsea

Sorry in joke

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Except Chelsea
    I can think of worse ... GRIMSBY TOWN!

Great AAR, Mike! Though I missed them in live action, the altitude markers helped with relative position nicely. Looks like it was great fun!

On another note, discovered that I have a Skype account, but I'll have to look into how to use it... it's been years. I'll see if I can get myself in order before the 27th!

27 is good, same time my local 11 Hundred local. Is it possible a recon mission going either way ? Planes RAF R.E.8,Airco DH2,Albatross DII, Roland CII or any that suit time line. A little early war is always fun. Also possible Fokker EII. also Rumpler

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    27 is good, same time my local 11 Hundred local. Is it possible a recon mission going either way ? Planes RAF R.E.8,Airco DH2,Albatross DII, Roland CII or any that suit time line. A little early war is always fun. Also possible Fokker EII. also Rumpler
    Love the 1915-1916 period... I have a couple of Shapeways Martinsyde G.100/G.102 "Elephants" that would be appropriate, if not particularly effective... unless you're looking for a target.

Next game posted: SND - International Skype Game Invitation - Stop the Pigeon!

Check there, and sign in there for that game!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Love the 1915-1916 period... I have a couple of Shapeways Martinsyde G.100/G.102 "Elephants" that would be appropriate, if not particularly effective... unless you're looking for a target.
    Chris,
    Just mail the Martinsyde to me, and I'll put it on the table for the next game! That, or I'll have to do the Decoy thing. I don't have any of them in my collection. You could host a game, though...
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. International Skype Game Invitation - 1918 October Dogfight
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-22-2016, 08:04
  2. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-29-2013, 07:04
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 21:44
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 08:39
  5. International Skype Game Invitation - 12-14 April