Ares Games

Thread: Embarrassed, but I need some help and I have no German...

Default Embarrassed, but I need some help and I have no German...

Hello all!

As I've mentioned in the title, my command of the German language is nearly nonexistent... and it's one factor limiting my research what follows (from a thread posted on the WGF Historical Discussion Board):

It's just come to my attention (literally, just this evening) that a relation of mine served in the Deutsche Luftstreitkräfte during the First World War.

I've been able to find little information beyond the basics, and would appreciate sincerely any help anyone can provide.

Here's what I have (and I'm fully cognizant of the fact that my German is nearly non-existent) so far:

Ltn.d.R. Ferdinand Islaub was born on 4 April 1895 in Friedrichsdorf, some 20 km (12 mi) north of Frankfurt am Main in Hesse, Germany. He died due to illness (infolge Krankheit) on 12 August 1918 in Frankfurt a.M.

After a little more research, and in my copy of Casualties of the German Air Service: 1914-1918 (Franks, Bailey, and Duiven), I discovered that Ltn.d.R. Islaub was a pilot flying for (or training with?) FEA 9 (an aviator replacement battalion stationed in Hesse). He was, however, listed as a Pilot.

Additionally, I've found this... Leutnant Islaub / 14.07.1916 / 6.Garde-Inf.Reg.I.Btl. --> not sure how to read that unit info, however, it appears as though he lost his wage book on that date. Sounds a lot like me.

The following site is in German, and has some info about the unit: http://www.sammlung-merschroth.de/ht...griesheim.html

Apparently, the Aviator Replacement Division 9 (FEA 9) was established on 3 March 1915, and remained until the war ended in Griesheim. The focus was on the training of air crew after the training of the observers was transferred to separate observer-schools. I have yet to discover much about his original unit (6.Garde-Inf.Reg.I.Btl.).

That's it. No specific service information of any kind, just that he was serving in some capacity at the time of his death (perhaps due to influenza?). I know it's not a lot, but I'm hoping one of the scholars here can help me dig up something and shed some light on what has become something of a personal quest.

Thank you, to any who have the opportunity, means, and/or intent to look into this.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

doing a quick search on "Garde-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 6", I've only found very basic information.
    - raised in September 1914 as Garde-Ersatz-Regiment Nr.1
    - renamed to Garde-Infanterie-Regiment Nr.6 on 14.07.1915
    - parent units: Garde-Ersatz-Brigade / Garde-Ersatz-Division

If you need help with translation issues, drop me a note.

Cheers
    Alex

6.Garde-Inf.Reg.I.Btl. would read: 6. Garde-Infanterie Regiment, 1. Bataillon = 6th Guard Infantry Regiment, 1st Batalion.

Thanks for the quick translations... now to hit the web.

Similar Missions

1. German radar, what did they see?
    By Thomatchef in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-09-2013, 09:59
  2. What did the "C" in German two-seaters aircrafts stand for (in German)?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 07:28
  3. The German
    By Kaiser in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 13:12
  4. German Drachen
    By rote Flügel in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-19-2011, 20:49
  5. My next plane (German or german ally)
    By Kungfuhustler in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 12:32