Ares Games

Thread: Ralph Ambrose O'Neill and Ace Skills

Default Ralph Ambrose O'Neill and Ace Skills

Greetings,

I've recently received my Nieuport Ni.28 (O'Neill) Airplane Pack, and it looks gorgeous. As our group is just discovering the Ace Rules, I'm asking myself which ace skill would historically fit best (if one can tell) to O'Neill? Reading about O'Neill's exploits on Wikipedia I stumbled upon this passage here:

"Lieutenant O'Neill, with four other pilots, engaged 12 enemy planes discovered hiding in the sun. Leading the way to an advantageous position by a series of bold and skillful maneuvers. Lieutenant O'Neill shot down the leader of the hostile formation. The other German planes then closed in on him, but he climbed to a position of vantage above them and returned to the fight and drove down another plane."

Reading this, my best guess is Acrobatic Pilot, Daredevil, or Good at Escaping.

It sounds as if he should have a "Quick to Climb" skill. That one doesn't exist, yet. Perhaps he can gain altitude a bit faster than everyone else, gaining a full level one climb counter sooner (The pilot can choose to climb very fast, and can gain an altitude level/peg with one less climb counter per altitude level, if he wishes)? Sort of like "Height Control" (Height Control Ace Skill Card) but in reverse.

Oh. A Ni.28 has a Climb Rate of 2. That would mean this guy would climb an entire altitude level with one card. That might be a bit fast.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. How many of you use Ace Skills?
    By Mau Fox in forum Polls
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 02-16-2018, 22:38
  2. Site: Help rank these Ace Skills
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 01-11-2016, 08:06
  3. Ace skills
    By Teaticket in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5