Ares Games

Thread: Saggy Felixstowe days . . .

Default Saggy Felixstowe days . . .

Besides it always raining at Felixstowe, one's Shapeways Felixstowe often gets saggy wing syndrome. You try to heat it out with hot water, but in time the sag returns . . .

Here's the Fix-0-the Elves! Take the sagging one, a bit of brass flat, CA, and a pair of clothes pins . . .

A strip of 1/32" sheet brass strip 6" long will do the trick . . .

Add a thin bead of CA to one side and carefully slip it under the top wing, through the engine nacelle gap and secure each end with a clothes pin.

Like so . . .

After the glue cures, remove the pins and you have a nice flat wing. I like to bend a slight bit of dihedral in before the glue sets to give a little positive curve just for effect! Add a touch of paint and no one will notice the brace.

Many of the long wing models have a tendency to sag over time and this is a quick fix.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Neat fix, Dave! I shall have to remember it when I get myself a Felixstowe (it's on the list of Necessaries...)

All the best,
    Matt

I have yet to get a felixstowe but i plan to get one in the future and this looks like it will help out a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Besides it always raining at Felixstowe, one's Shapeways Felixstowe often gets saggy wing syndrome. You try to heat it out with hot water, but in time the sag returns . . .
    Cover with a PVA coating as the base before painting to give a monocoque structure, and it won't. I'm not sure that it's possible to do this effectively after painting though. The idea is for the PVA to infiltrate the pores of the WSF nylon sponge. You get an M&M effect, where the rigid outside retains its shape even if the inner part has no structural strength.

Thanks good tip.

I'm glad I spotted this Dave.
    It will be handy on a number of larger aircraft.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. General Felixstowe Fury?
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-17-2015, 17:54
  2. WSF Felixstowe F2A
    By jbmacek in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-22-2013, 09:52
  3. Felixstowe available yet from anyone in 3D?
    By pbhawkin in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 02:15
  4. Felixstowe arc of fire.
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 01:18
  5. Felixstowe F2A
    By macka321 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 11:29