Ares Games

Thread: The CanCon report thread

Default The CanCon report thread

Day 1 - an all-day continuous game in Early 1918 - "Snoopy and the Red Baron" with an all-US cast. Many photos were taken by bystanders, many questions asked about the photoblanket play mat, and there were many inquiries about where to get the game.
    Aircraft - Albatros D.Va, Fokker Dr.I, Pfalz D.III, and AEF Sopwith Camel, Spad VII, Spad XIII, Nieuport 28.

Although adults were the main players, at one stage there were 8 children playing, all between 7 and 9.

Day 2 - Morning "Jan 23rd, 1916", featuring Albatros C.I, Gotha G.I, Fokker E.III, Fokker D.II, and a mix of French, Belgian and RFC Morane N, Nieuport 11, and FE2b

Day 2 - Afternoon "The Last Battle" November 1918 AKA "The German Secret Weapons", featuring Junkers CL.I, Junkers D.I, Fokker D.VII, SSW D.III, vs RAF Sopwith Camel, Sopwith Snipe, Bristol F2b, SE5a, and a Sopwith Buffalo on a bombing mission.

Day 3 - Morning October 1916, featuring Albatros D.II, Halberstadt D.III, SSW D.I, Roland C.I and RFC and French Nieuport 17s, and RFC DH2, RE8 with Albert Ball's Nieuport 17.

Day 3 - Afternoon February 1917 "Balloon Busting" including Albatros D.II, Albatros D.III, Rumpler C.IV, SSW D.I, vs RFC Sopwith Triplane, Nieuport 27, Sopwith Pup, RE8 and DH2 providing cover for a French Task Force Nieuport 16 (with rockets) and Nieuport 17 (with incendiary bullets)

The AA got 3 Entente and 4 Luftstreitkrafte kills. There were no Entente survivors, the N16 managing to cause the "balloon to go up" explosively while directly above it - as was an Albatros D.III.

Pictures to follow.
    Last edited by Zoe Brain; 01-25-2016 at 00:52.

Day 2

Morning - after initially spurning them, one player tried a 2-seater and decided even a slow Albatros C.I was really deadly in the right hands. After an unfortunate BOOM card (but not before accounting for 2 enemy) she took the Gotha G.I with even greater success. The Entente never did get the hang going behind and below this "Battleplane" acting in a Fighter role.

Name:  Photo0953.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  219.8 KBName:  Photo0956.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  215.4 KBName:  Photo0959.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  184.0 KB

Afternoon - the Buffalo managed to avoid most fire until it had lined up with the target Chateau, then dived 1500 ft (20 pegs) before making a strafing run to suppress the MG defences, followed by another, bombing run at 150 ft when correctly lined up. The others kept the Germans busy so only a single SSW D.III followed the Buffalo down, and that got there too late (and with an SE5a on its tail). Barker's Snipe accounted for 3 kills.

Name:  Photo0960.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  226.3 KB

Day 3

Morning

Albert Ball's Nieuport 17 racked up 3 victories - though usually of targets that had been "softened up" by an RE8 flying well below and with an observer using the enemy circling above for target practice (a consequence of the simplified altitude rules). Tackling a 2-seater from behind and below is relatively easy, trying to do so at the same altitude, more difficult, and trying to dogfight it from above guarantees some holes in the old crate - which may not be immediately fatal, but means a predatory fighter has a much easier task.

A Roland with a broken fuel line (forced down) tried to land in a field... but ran out of altitude so it ended up in the trees.

Name:  Photo0961.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  194.4 KB

One of the Ball/RE8 partnership's victims

Name:  Photo0963_001.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  190.4 KB

And another (though the Halberstadt did eventually get a long range shot before the tables were turned...

Name:  Photo0964.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  214.0 KB

Afternoon

What a difference just a few months made, with Albatros D.IIIs doing great execution, though the AA did even more.
    Any plane within 1 ruler of the balloon base at the end of the turn (after 3rd card played) took a C card from the unaimed but very thick barrage. Only if the aircraft peg overlapped the balloon base was it safe (at high level - lower it would have to contend with MG fire..)

The Observation balloon started at height 36 - a 20 "base" plus 16 pegs, corresponding to just under 2500 ft. (720 metres). It went down at 1 peg per card, but only if threatened. The RFC planes below it were no threat, it was only when French planes at high altitude were spotted (they came in very late in the scenario) was the winch started up.

Name:  Photo0965.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  222.7 KBName:  Photo0966.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  217.3 KBName:  Photo0967.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  179.6 KB

Just 8 turns after the French were first spotted, the balloon was down to altitude 12 - 4 pegs and a base of 8 (as opposed to 20). So many aircraft, which had been at altitude 24 (20 base plus 4 pegs) were now at 17-20 (8 base plus 12 pegs) and diving to get to the Nieuport 16 that had come through the AA relatively unscathed.

Name:  Photo0969.jpg
Views: 728
Size:  199.0 KB

Shortly after this picture was taken, the French N17 (to left) was hit by 2 AA cards for 18 pts...the (damaged) halberstadt was set on fire by AA and succumbed to the flames, the N16 (see card on balloon base) managed to do a steep dive followed by a straight as the rockets left the rails... and both it and the Albatros D.III attacking it were directly above the balloon when it exploded ... a phyrric victory.

Tackling a balloon using the simplified altitude rules takes careful planning, a strong "interference" to keep enemy fighters away, nerves of steel to make your way through the barrage, proper equipment - incendiary rounds or rockets - and not a little luck.

Not for the feint-hearted.

Geoff Kirby

Great photo's Zoe.
    Geoff

That was a busy three days Zoe - I'm exhausted & I wasn't there !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

The altitude and AA rules gave results similar to this footage (best viewed with sound muted) -

UntOff. Hans Heinrich Marwede
    1) Got hit by an AA barrage and had a BOOM card - fuel line, controls, engine stoppage...
    2) Went into a spin
    3) Then went out of control
    3) Did a mostly successful landing, only hitting an obstacle in the "stall" phase, leaving his aircraft upside down, but mostly intact

Landing
    Dive – Straight - Stall
    To land successfully, you must be at level 1 or 2, with no ground obstructions anywhere in the move.
    Forced Down
    As soon as the aircraft is “forced down” (by a BOOM card, or exceeding its points) it must go out of control, but may go into a spin first – followed by going out of control when the spin stops.

Spin :
    Turn(any turn card) - Reversal(lose 1 peg) – Dive(lose 2 pegs).
    Retain these 3 cards. Draw from A deck at end of turn. If not 0 damage, play the same cards next turn, Ignore the damage - including special damage – regardless, and put the drawn card at the bottom of the deck.

Out of Control
    If Out of Control the aircraft may not fire except observer's guns, It is set to have 0 damage points, and of the three cards selected each turn, one must be a stall, another a dive. Do not tell opponents that you're forced down, just do the moves. Also note – you'll have to play consecutive steep maneuvers, taking an “A” class damage each time. Go over the aircraft's points and the aircraft breaks up in mid-air.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Looks great Zoe,
    Well done. Love the maps......
    We have a few club players at CANCON this year. Look out for them in their "Napoleonic Wargaming Society" club shirts. Stephen

Nice work looks like fun for all!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great reports from "The Front", Zoe! Love the pictures, too - glad you were able to steal some time away and enjoy some gaming...

All the best,
    Matt

Brilliant Zoe! Love to see the kids engaged to the game. Well done. Hope you are finding strength in these days of service.

Superb commentary and pictures Zoe.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great stuff Zoe - blimey it was busy - and absolutely adore the photo mats - really really want one (or two, lol)
    Thanks for sharing with us stuck half a world away

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Super AARs Zoe!

Many thanks for posting.

Thumbs up

Another wonderfully successful Cancon thanks to your efforts Zoe.
    Really "P'd" off I could not make it due to my Qld. commitments.

Rep sent!

Beautiful report and map Zoe. I wish I could have been there too

Fantastic report, Zoe! A great event!

For those who couldn't make it - there's always Wintercon in 6 months.

Great reporting and superb photos.
    Those mats of yours are to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Great reporting and superb photos.
    Those mats of yours are to die for.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t-customisable

Cost is about $70 US for it. Including postage. I'm sure you can get similar deals in the US.

Here's one - http://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/a...ails#!/pdpview

Thanks, Zoe.

I do remember your initial post.
    Now I just have to figure out how to order with the proper photo resolution etc.
    I'd hate to spend all that and mess it up ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Thanks, Zoe.

I do remember your initial post.
    Now I just have to figure out how to order with the proper photo resolution etc.
    I'd hate to spend all that and mess it up ....
    Thanks to the tireless work of lingster, he's done the hard work for you. http://johnnylingster.blogspot.com.a...-my-wings.html

I've made his map available as a convenient 13k x 11k 35MB jpeg at https://www.dropbox.com/s/klvqs1x739...pe%5D.jpg?dl=0

That's the file I used, so I know it works.

Thank you so much, Zoe.

I hope to try it out this weekend.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    Great to see Gaming being portrayed in a positive & family orientated light.

Thanks for the great report and photos Zoe. Looks like a great show.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...t-customisable

Cost is about $70 US for it. Including postage. I'm sure you can get similar deals in the US.
    Ordered from Shutterfly. $65.98 including shipping.

Thanks again, Zoe

Great report and pictures, Zoe.
    I nearly flew down from BrisVegas to have a look, but had other commitments that weekend.
    Kind of a pity the Giants didn't show up in time, but soon...

Similar Missions

1. CANCON Report Day Three.
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 00:34
  2. CANCON Report Day Two.
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 01:58
  3. CANCON Report Day One
    Replies: 12