Ares Games

Thread: NSWC - A Blast from the Past

Default NSWC - A Blast from the Past

NSWC - now the Northern Sydney Wargames Club, but when I was a member in the early 70s, it was the NSW Wargames Confederation.

The Northern Sydney Wargames Club was founded at least by 1970 (maybe a couple of years earlier) as the Northern Wargames Association, then by 1991 changed its name to the Northern Sydney Wargames Club. Gamers from all over Sydney come to have a great time at the NSWC. After spending most of the clubs life at Lindfield (Masonic Hall, then Seniors Hall) we were forced out by God's people and moved to Turramurra for a couple of years where more of God's people pushed out from and the local Masons did not want us at their hall we moved to Rydalmere where of one of God's closest offered us a place to be inside the old church. The club has gained more new members and some returned members since this more within two years than the previous 10 years at Turramurra and Lindfield (tells you something).
    I was there during High School, when it was at the Masonic Hall in Lindfield.

At Cancon, I saw some old familiar (well, from 40 years ago) faces, who I spent many a happy hour with, playing a heavily modified and extended version of the Paragon's Aerial Dogfight Rules 1916-1918 ( not to be confused with the revised and extended Paragon's New Aerial Dogfight Rules 1916-1918 (1977) )
    These used 1/72 plastic models - mostly Airfix, a few Revell or Scratchbuilt, attached to clothes pegs, then on 1/2" wooden dowel rods inserted in heavy wooden stands.

The same mob are now into WGF in a big way.
    http://northernsydneywargamesclub.bl...mber-2015.html

Geoff Kirby

Well done Zoe,it was good to meet up with you, your presentation of the game will only further enhance people wanting to play, will look with interest at the photo's when available.
    Also many thanks for your input in regards to the Northern Sydney War-games Club ,hope to see you back there in due course.
    Regards
    Geoff Kirby

I'd better start making preparations for your next WWI bash, especially if it's a multi-day event.

Do you have a copy of the Cancon simplified altitude rules?
    They're at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ude-Rules-2016

The Official Unofficial Aircraft stats committee's spreadsheet is at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...p?do=cat&id=59

Please give my regards to all my old friends, especially Sponge. It was his efforts in making WWI air wargames that kindled (or i-padded etc) an interest that's lasted over 40 years, and if he's got a copy of the experience system from those days, I might find that useful in running campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Kirby View Post
    Well done Zoe,it was good to meet up with you, your presentation of the game will only further enhance people wanting to play, will look with interest at the photo's when available.
    All those I had the opportunity to take in between running games are at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...-report-thread

Other attendees will hopefully chime in.

BTW the photos on the NSWC blog page are excellent, the paint quality outstanding.

I hope I'll be seeing some NSWC members at Wintercon.
    Or maybe we should arrange a joint WGF only event with the Goulburn mob so it doesn't clash with other interests?

Geoff Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I hope I'll be seeing some NSWC members at Wintercon.
    Or maybe we should arrange a joint WGF only event with the Goulburn mob so it doesn't clash with other interests?
    Hi Zoe, well I do have a few members that might be willing to brave the cold of Canberra in the middle of winter,some of them may need some encouragement, anyway I'll get the exact dates from you and see what we can plan. Just by the way, when you say the Goulburn mob, are they specifically WGF or do they have other interests ?
    Hear from you when you have a chance.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Kirby View Post
    Hi Zoe, well I do have a few members that might be willing to brave the cold of Canberra in the middle of winter,some of them may need some encouragement, anyway I'll get the exact dates from you and see what we can plan. Just by the way, when you say the Goulburn mob, are they specifically WGF or do they have other interests ?
    Hear from you when you have a chance.
    Geoff

The Blamey Wargamers in Goulburn do a lot of 15mm WWII, but also WGF.
    See https://www.facebook.com/groups/513085392108149/

Wintercon planning is still underway.

Similar Missions

1. Escaping your past . . . ?
    By clipper1801 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-22-2015, 17:22
  2. South England Blast-tastic in Bristol, Saturday October 3rd
    By NeilCFord in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-05-2015, 09:07
  3. Blast -- What Did I Just Step In?
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-27-2015, 07:53
  4. In defense of gaming past......................
    By James Denberger in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 18:09
  5. A blast of 100! To the bar Gents & Ladies!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 05:23