Ares Games

Thread: Glass smooth WSF.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Willie
    Sorties Flown

Default Glass smooth WSF.

Don't know if anyone else already tried this ( I haven't since I just found out!) but a friend of mine had coated a few 1/144th scale Shapeways WWI planes with this liquid resin. Last week he showed me a Fokker DII and the surfaces were as smooth as any plastic injection kit, and from what I could see with absolutely no loss of detail.. Apparently he had used a liquid resin/epoxy called XTC-3D and while he said it stank to the high heavens it also closed every pore on the WSF models in one coat.
    I tried ordering it from the US last week but haven't got a response yet.
    For those wanting to check it out for themselves here's a link I found

http://www.smooth-on.com/Epoxy-Coati...429/index.html

and searching for this in the UK I came across this on Amazon - one of the comments says it's an alternative for XTC-3D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacer-Techno...eywords=xtc-3d

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    A quick search threw up this UK seller.
    http://www.benam.co.uk/products/epoxy/xtc-3d/

No idea on quality of either the product, or seller.
    But it looks interesting to try out.

Watch out for their £11 delivery charge! worse than shapeways

This looks very interesting, might have to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by decapod View Post
    Watch out for their £11 delivery charge! worse than shapeways
    I've actually worked out I can get there on the train for 50p less. Plus have a bonus day out in London to boot.
    Luckily all going to plan, I'm off to London next Tuesday to catch up with a friend in the afternoon.

This can be had on Amazon US... and a couple of the sellers offer "Prime" shipping (free, 2-day) within the US. I searched "XTC-3D® High Performance 3D Print Coating" and got a number of hits, in both 6.4oz and 24oz options.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    A quick search threw up this UK seller.
    http://www.benam.co.uk/products/epoxy/xtc-3d/

No idea on quality of either the product, or seller.
    But it looks interesting to try out.
    About 10 miles down the road from me....................might give it a try

Just received the 6 oz set today, will give it a try Wednesday when my next Shapeways order arrives . . .

A mob in South Australia sells it - with a $24 postage "dangerous goods" fee.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Just received the 6 oz set today, will give it a try Wednesday when my next Shapeways order arrives . . .
    Looking forward to your report - thanks!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

As am I - I went online to look for info and it seems it involves painting on a thinner coat of clear epoxy - I wonder whether it's going to obscure too much detail...

All the best,
    Matt

We really should have a sticky thread in this forum on the subject of surface preparation. It is a perennial topic, and there have been a lot of suggestions over the years (acrylic wax, diluted PVA, tacky-coat spray, this new epoxy, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by ReducedAirFact View Post
    We really should have a sticky thread in this forum on the subject of surface preparation. It is a perennial topic, and there have been a lot of suggestions over the years (acrylic wax, diluted PVA, tacky-coat spray, this new epoxy, ...)
    A thread or 'How To' on each procedure would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I am interest as well how this turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    I am interest as well how this turns out.
    Me also, hope to see some pics

So here we go! The package arrived and the instructions carefully read. This is indeed a two part resin product and that means all safety procedures are to be followed. Here is the kit all ready to address, move outside for proper ventilation.

Note the disposable brushes of significant stiffness, they are on a one way mission. Also note the plastic tub lid, very handy for mixing and painting out of, once cured the resin is simply popped off and can be used again. The other purpose it lends is to allow the resin to flow out thinner on the surface, as an exo-thermic product, the less mass sitting around the longer it takes to come to cure temp, extending your working time a bit. The models chosen for the test have been in the bin for several months and not ready yet for prime time, each offer an interesting challenge for this product . . .

Here we are mixed and in the process! The resin is as I expected just that, an epoxy resin. That means it is sticky and fiddly. Not knowing the working time and this product I moved swiftly through the application. It is about the viscosity of honey, which is fine in that it does not run readily, but it slows you down in applying it evenly. The stiffer brush allowed the resin to be worked into the WSF pores on the first pass, then followed with a loaded softer brush to make it smooth out. More on this later.

The surviving class an hour later . . . still a bit tacky but handle-able and left to cure another hour . . .

And the results are in! The resin did cure quite hard and smooth with the following details to work out. In some places the resin was allowed to pool a bit and the result is quite shiny and hard indeed! Where it was well brushed into the pores, it had the same effect to fill and harden, however the tiny rough spots are now very hard and not so glossy. I suggest a bit more time practicing the amount of resin applied to totally fill in the surfaces. I was in a hurry and not knowing the properties you can see the places where the coat is just too thin. Not sure a second attempt would be helpful. The resin does fill and flow, so one needs to develop the right density skill and avoid allowing runs and pooling. . . here are some close ups with an effort in the photos to show the light glancing off the surfaces:

The little Boeings were first off the lot. You can see the gloss pooling between the tiny barbs of WSF

The Heinkel is a it better, however the vertical surfaces did not pool well, creating super smooth areas on the flats and rough mountains . . .

On the Junkers I took a bit more care and time on as the resin was beginning to thicken, after working the resin into the surface I returned with a "wash" of more resin, seems to have helped some . . .

All in all the product and the process have promise, as for a one shot coating, there will be need for spot touch up. The finish is by far the best I have been able to achieve with so little effort, but resin is a land of voodoo and mayhem, the realm of Nick Danger! There is a bit of info in the work sheets that reference thinning with solvents and such, again worthy of exploring if you are into that kind of thing. I will likely use the rest on future models but they will be done with more time and effort, thinking several passes on like surfaces each go, so that set of surfaces can cure, then rotate to the next to avoid the tendency to flow or not to flow . . . ask me any questions . . . the elves are on the phone lines waiting . . .

Thanks for doing this write-up, especially with pictures. One video I saw online suggested sanding the object thoroughly after the resin has hardened. Do you think that is necessary here? Also, do you think the loss of detail is acceptable? (Not that WSF has that much detail to begin with.) Thanks again for your post.

The final product looks almost exactly like WSF after three or four hits from a can of Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze.
    So, given the mess associated with mixing, I don't think I'll be switching.

Thanks for the write-up, Dave. Seems to be more work for similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post
    The final product looks almost exactly like WSF after three or four hits from a can of Krylon Triple Thick Crystal Clear Glaze.
    So, given the mess associated with mixing, I don't think I'll be switching.
    Same here. Much easier to spray and less mess.

Just saw this because I bought a5 new Shapeways planes. I knew I had seen something before but not this.

Oh Clipper it was " I was listening to the staccato of the rain on the window and reading my name REGNAD KCIN" . Firesign theater. Haven't heard anyone mention them in years. I guess we must all be bozozs on this bus.

Similar Missions

1. So smooth you can cut diamonds
    By skyking20 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 11:45
  2. Tip your hat and your glass!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-20-2013, 01:56
  3. Wishing Ken a smooth operation.
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-13-2011, 01:35
  4. I would like to take a second and raise a glass...
    By The Cowman in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-10-2010, 10:47
  5. Repints: smooth detailed finish
    By Pseudotheist in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 15:27