Ares Games

Thread: Avalon Hill's Richthofen's War

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Default Avalon Hill's Richthofen's War

I think this is the right place to post this. Has anyone here ever played Richthofen's War by Avalon Hill? It was sold in the early 70's and you can still find it for cheap on eBay. This was the game that really got me into WW1 aircraft and it's history. It has a built in campaign system based on Bloody April. If you can find it cheap I would highly recommend trying it out.

Played it 30 odd years ago, no longer have a copy .

Played it at school, loved it, have had a copy ever since. Better when played with the 5RW variant from "The General" and the manoeuvre cards that AH also sold as a variant

Yep, got it 30-odd years ago and still have on my shelf. I was intrigued to notice that the NASM in Washington had a copy in a display cabinet several years ago.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Have it, played it, loved it.
    I brought it out last year with the thoughts of running it as a PBEM game, but other things keep getting in the way.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Played a lot, with Pier Giorgio too. Had a lot of fun, even if the alternate move-and-fire sequence was not realistic and made dogfights less interesting - specific missions were intriguing anyway. Yes there were options to solve the sequence issue, but then we played Aces High, Wings, Dawn Patrol, Blue Max, Ace of Aces, Sopwith... so we did not really tried to upgrade our beloved Richthofen's War.

Yep still got it as an Avalon Hill bookcase game as they described there games in the 70's as they all the boxes were 1 size, (Trireme , Squad Leader, Pro Football etc)

Not played it for some time but did enjoy it.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I still have my original copy from way back when. And somehow, ended up with a second copy, yard sale or something. pretty much gave it up when newer & better tactical air games came along.

As with the others played it back in the 70's. Great game. Have to find my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    As with the others played it back in the 70's. Great game. Have to find my copy.
    Might be a bit more expensive than when it first came out.
    Baby Boomers are on the prowl

Have had it for many years - still do.

I was a little frustrated by the alternate movement/firing system; I changed this, by using the simultaneous "impulse" movement system from "Star Fleet Battles", and this transformed the dogfights!
    Getting someone off your tail became a real skill. Wingmen were essential.

Star Fleet Battles , another great game in its original form.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Have had it for many years - still do.

I was a little frustrated by the alternate movement/firing system; I changed this, by using the simultaneous "impulse" movement system from "Star Fleet Battles", and this transformed the dogfights!
    Getting someone off your tail became a real skill. Wingmen were essential.
    I was thinking of using the movement order system from Fighting Wings; a die rolled choice for turn order, but you can choose to go after someone if you are tailing them; much like WoG.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Have the original box and all the bits. Loved playing it and it's what got me into Air Combat.
    See you on the Dark Side......

played it a long time ago. hadnt touched it in years so i recently traded it to noble knight games along with a bunch of other games stuff for kr multicase trays

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Star Fleet Battles , another great game in its original form.
    i played this a lot back in the day.

Have had it since the seventies, last played in late eighties.
    It's downstairs in a big box with all my other wargames.
    Have been meaning to get it out since getting into WGF.
    Last time I played it we were running short campaigns that made the game much more interesting.

Played it a lot back in the 70's - like others here it got me into WWI air combat. My copy is in a box in the loft somewhere - must go up there and find it!

Used to have a copy, Same as most, fom the 70s, I think I swapped it for AH Waterloo, was heavily into Napoleonic games at the time and had all the WWW games, SPI but not the AH game, must admit to prefering the SPI version though.
    After that I had a ww1 flying game on my Atari 800 but nothing more really until I discovered Wings

My copy is sitting about 5' behind me right now....

I had the same problem with the movement system; Hidebound Traditionalism strikes even in Gaming. I went with a _BattleTech_-style movement system -- side alternate moving units, with "remainder" numbers of units being moved first. So if, for ex., Side A had 5 units, and Side B 3:

A wins initiative, move order is: B, A, A, B, A, A, B, A.
    B wins initiative, move order is: A, A, B, A, A, B, A, B.

For really advanced games: The least-experienced units must be moved first -- first "ordinary" pilots, then "ace", then "double ace", then "triple ace", and so on. Using the above example: A has two aces [a] and three ordinary pilots, while B has a double ace [2a], an ace[a], and a ordinary pilot. Move order is:

A wins initiative: B, A, A, Ba, A, Aa, B2a, Aa.
    B wins initiative: A, A, B, A, Aa, Ba, Aa, B2a.

Note that if B loses initiative, his double ace has to move before A's second ace.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

I played it a lot but even way back when I realised the IGOUGO nature created problems. I've recently dug out my copy and was pleased to find it in still as good as new. I have the add on manoeuvre cards. I intend to try it again with card based activation and a slightly altered use of the Avalon Hill add on 'fancy flying' cards.

I'm interested in converting it for use without hexes.

Yes. I got mine the first week it was on the shelf...still have it, as well as the General's update and cards. Loved it but was disappointed in the alternating move sequence and after a while stopped playing it. I tried other games after that but nothing caught my interest enough for me to buy into it; at least not until Wings of Glory. When I bought my first WoG planes I pulled out my copy of Richthofen's War and started using the Bloody April campaign game!

Still have my original copy and enjoyed it, but GMT's Bloody April and the Eagle of Lille expansion are on the table more in the past few years. I posted the Aircraft Capabilities table from RW a few years back in the files section if anyone has interest http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=575 It was a standard at the time, and got a lot of us into WW1 air combat despite the clunky turn system.

Its clunky (less so if you add the 5 second variant rules) but I still prefer it over more recent offerings

You got to be Kidding every old timer here has played that game and it was a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike George View Post
    You got to be Kidding every old timer here has played that game and it was a fun game.
    Hey less of the Old Timers

They also had two other game I remember AIRFORCE and DAUNTLESS. I still have the AF one but don't think I ever played DAUNTLESS.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    They also had two other game I remember AIRFORCE and DAUNTLESS. I still have the AF one but don't think I ever played DAUNTLESS.
    And not to forget "B-17: Queen of the Skies"....

Quote Originally Posted by skystalker View Post
    And not to forget "B-17: Queen of the Skies"....

thats a great game. i still have mine!

RW was the first wargame I played; it was '75, I think, and it opened the door to gaming for me.

After RW, I added Yaquinto's Wings. Phil Hall gave me a 2nd edition copy of Blue Max a couple of years ago. The most recent acquisitions were Bloody April and its expansion.

I have quite a few WWII aviation games - some hex-and-chit (e.g. Wing Leader), and some card (e.g. Down in Flames). There are quite a few excellent WWII games currently available. Unfortunately, there isn't sufficient time to get them to the table as often as desired.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    RW was the first wargame I played; it was '75, I think, and it opened the door to gaming for me.

After RW, I added Yaquinto's Wings. Phil Hall gave me a 2nd edition copy of Blue Max a couple of years ago. The most recent acquisitions were Bloody April and its expansion.

I have quite a few WWII aviation games - some hex-and-chit (e.g. Wing Leader), and some card (e.g. Down in Flames). There are quite a few excellent WWII games currently available. Unfortunately, there isn't sufficient time to get them to the table as often as desired.
    RW was a great gateway game; I never played with the added maneuver cards, though.
    For WW2, I can recommend the Fighting Wings series; you need to look on ebay or second hand sites, but the next iteration, Wings of the Motherland, should be coming out this year, and the yahoo group files help with past planes.
    For that matter, Check your 6 would make a fine hex and chit game too.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Fighting Wings
    I have Achtung: Spitfire and Whistling Death; I would like to complete the series.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    I have Achtung: Spitfire and Whistling Death; I would like to complete the series.
    Whistling Death (Pacific war) is the 3rd game. Buffalo wings is an intro level game, but the ADCs are usable for full FWs.
    They also published a magazine called Top Cover; first ed. covers the Japanese attacks on Darwin.

Karl

Still have a copy on my shelf right next to TSR's Dawn Patrol.

Still have my copy from the '70's -- back then I had a weekly game with a co-worker -- along with a weekly WWII ALNAVCO game -- much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Still have a copy on my shelf right next to TSR's Dawn Patrol.
    Dawn Patrol! I really enjoyed that game. I was in 5th & 6th grade playing that.

I play WoG (WWII) and my dad can't commit to plastic pieces as a gift. BUT, he saw Luftwaffe (Avalon Hill 1971) and got it for me, and it came yesterday. It was $9.50. I opened the box and realized, it's unpunched! Am I supposed to play it or not? Box look used, but it's not.

He also said he had a game by Nova that went to the wrong address (his not mine)...I am blanking on the name.

I wonder if Richtoffen's War is a good way for ME to play WWI scenario's. My collector mentality keeps from playing WWI.

I think mine still has the cards in the spine as I bought it but we used my buddies copy to play.. Also still have Luftwaffe on the shelf in rather hard played condition.

Dawn Patrol was a great and very inspiring game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    He also said he had a game by Nova that went to the wrong address (his not mine)...I am blanking on the name.

I wonder if Richtoffen's War is a good way for ME to play WWI scenario's. My collector mentality keeps from playing WWI.
    Richthofen's War was a great classic, first dogfight game I ever played - a lot and loving it. It did not aged well IMHO. Nova published Alfred Leonardi's Ace of Aces, a real masterpiece and still standing at the test of time: very quick, fun, elegant. The strong desire to make something as elengant as this but more scalable with many players and more flexible in the use of different plane types/missions pushed me to make Wings of War/Glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    Dawn Patrol was a great and very inspiring game.
    I will have to ask my dad to look for it it then, and not RW if that has not held up. (Or convince him that a nice starter set of WWI planes is really just as good a gift). If he wants to continue to look for things like this. He is looking for people to play Panzer Blitz with, but lives in a very rural area and cannot find them.

Nova published Alfred Leonardi's Ace of Aces, a real masterpiece and still standing at the test of time: very quick, fun, elegant. The strong desire to make something as elengant as this but more scalable with many players and more flexible in the use of different plane types/missions pushed me to make Wings of War/Glory.
    Well, I am excited to get a piece of inspiration then! I think it is an expansion coming my way (as he listed some of the planes and it sounded later war to me).

Ace of Aces WW1 had a couple of books in each set: a German plane and an Entente plane (or, in one case, a SPAD and a German Drachen). Each one was indipendent and playable on its own, besides being mixeable with the others, there was not one "base" and several "expansions".

AHRW still on my bookcase. Gave me inspiration to include limited ammo and house rules for climbing and diving.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

I played it in high school and still have my original game. I enjoyed the scenarios and the Bloody April campaign.

Here's to them what are like us. Damn few and they're all dead.

Thread necromancy, but where to put this?

Thanks to Shane [SkyGuy001] (or should I be thanking him?), I have become the owner of a copy of Richthofen's War. I remember playing it back before I joined the military, so almost 40 years ago? So, I had an opportunity to break open the box and move counters around a board the other day:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20211216_0948024.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	310028

It turns out, my other buddy, and WoG Campaign Opponent, had played this game a lot more than me, and really liked it. He wants to play it a bunch more, if we can find the time. It is an interesting look at the source material that went into the development of Wings of War/Glory.

I'm happy to accomodate him, We might look at using the Starfleet Battles impulse movement process, to keep the move-shoot exchange from happening. We'll see...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Oh my does that bring back memories -- back in the late 1970's a buddy of mine and I would meet once a week for some Richthofen's War followed up by a game of ALNAVCO's Seapower. I suppose Avalon Hill hex board games were the entry point into the hobby for a large group of individuals of a certain age......( I still have my copy of the game, BTW)...
    Last edited by NewFlyBoy; 12-18-2021 at 06:47. Reason: Thumbs, I'm all thumbs.....

I remember playing with my father at least 40 years ago. I also remember another AH title ’Luftwaffe’ that had a great solo option.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Billy
    Sorties Flown

I still have mine.

Am gazing fondly on my 70s copy of RW

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Am gazing fondly on my 70s copy of RW
    Can't find mine - it's probably hidden behind "The Shop".
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

I had a copy a few years back. TSR's Dawn Patrol was my introduction to gaming though.

Mine's either in the attic or the basement; I had joined a yahoo group for the game years ago, and thought of
    playing it PBEM, but never went anywhere with it.
    Maybe time to bring that plan out again?
    Karl

Similar Missions

1. Spitfire Mk.19 crashed at Biggin Hill
    By Prodromoi in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-03-2015, 10:28
  2. The National Museam of the Pacific War & David Lee "Tex" Hill
    By Dwarflord22 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 18:17
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 05:43
  4. For Sale: Avalon Hill PanzerBlitz Bookcase Edition War Game