15 17.44%

11 12.79%

3 3.49%
  • 6+

14 16.28%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WW1 - Number of planes handled

Quote Originally Posted by Ken at Sunrise View Post
    Do most people flight in head to head death matches or scenarios?
    I modded our RAP box with two layers of foam inserts so we could carry four planes (usually two Camels and two Dr. 1s) along with all the damage decks, range rulers and associated tokens needed to play a game. This allows the RAP box to become the card & token caddy for any game, as well as making an "any time, any place" 1v1 or 2v2 dogfight an easy proposition. To wit:

Dogfights aboard Amtrak...

With that said, Wings of Glory is a fantastic sandbox system that provides all sorts of great "tools" for playing a wide variety of scenarios, as well as cooking up your own. I created some Artillery Spotting rules a while back that make for a very thematic and fun challenge.

An R.E.8 attempts to get the arty on target while an SE5a tries to keep the Fokkers at bay...

And of course the classic "London Bomb Raid" scenario with Gothas (and now Staakens) is always great fun:

With that said, a duel is a pretty classic early to mid war scenario in its own right... sometimes it's fun to create duels that should have happened, even if they never actually did in real life

So anyways, hard for me to really split it up, they're all quite a lot of fun. And it's great that the system can scale so well between them all.

I like to play scenarios, but will happily dogfight instead - just so long as all the participants have fun!

Well I've only played about four games so far. One plane per person, and one plane per side; my wife and I. Her and I agree it is lacking. There isn't any thrill or excitement. Maneuvering for the shot until one of us is shot down. I've played other games with one pilot or plane per person and didn't quite have this experience.

Not sure if the issue was that I'm still relatively new to the game or what the issue was. However I don't think we'll try the one plane per side anytime soon. We are thinking 2 to 4 planes per side depending on the number of people. Maybe if there were eight people then one plane each could be fun but so far no. Even then the first person out may just prefer to watch television.

Well I've only played about four games so far. One plane per person, and one plane per side; my wife and I. Her and I agree it is lacking. There isn't any thrill or excitement. Maneuvering for the shot until one of us is shot down. I've played other games with one pilot or plane per person and didn't quite have this experience.

Not sure if the issue was that I'm still relatively new to the game or what the issue was. However I don't think we'll try the one plane per side anytime soon. We are thinking 2 to 4 planes per side depending on the number of people. Maybe if there were eight people then one plane each could be fun but so far no. Even then the first person out may just prefer to watch television.
    Just let them come into the fray with a new plane.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

I have voted one but I would happily fly a single-seat fighter AND a two-seater in the same game.

Keeps my interest going when the two-seater gets shot down!

Well I've only played about four games so far. One plane per person, and one plane per side; my wife and I.
    I always suggest a minimum of 4 planes on the table. And/or trying a scenario with some scope: a bombing, a ground attack, a photo recon. You can give such a mission to any single-seater plane, no need to own a two-seater or a multi-engine bomber. This makes for a much more rich and variated game.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    I always suggest a minimum of 4 planes on the table. And/or trying a scenario with some scope: a bombing, a ground attack, a photo recon. You can give such a mission to any single-seater plane, no need to own a two-seater or a multi-engine bomber. This makes for a much more rich and variated game.
    Thank you and yes, after my few games I can see the minimum number of 4 being very reasonable. With my wife and I that would be two each. I think this should still be fairly easy, we will see.

Also we are absolutely looking forward to playing scenarios.

for those of you who handle many planes at once: do you guy use a rule to move a group all together?
    Last weekend I was thinking about this: a player takes four planes under his command. Two are 'liders' and two are 'wingmen'. Wingmen strat the game at Lider's 5 or 7, 1/2 rule apart. The player only plans maneuvers for the liders. The wing-men repeat lider's meneuver.
    I've never tryied yet.
    Do you guys think it may work?

It might well work.

When I fly a group of bombers, like my 27 Squadron DH4s, I plot for one, and move the whole formation to follow. Easy, unless the leader turns!

With a group of scouts, or a pair, I have tried plotting the leader, then "passing" his card to the wingman, so the wingman 'follows the leader' one card behind. Additional aircraft follow on, each one card behind the previous plane.

So, in a "peel off" situation, first the leader goes, next card No.2, next card No.3 etc..
    I laugh in the face of danger - then I hide until it goes away!

Good points Tim! I've noticed the problem when turning. I'll give a try to you just sugestd and report back

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    It might well work.

When I fly a group of bombers, like my 27 Squadron DH4s, I plot for one, and move the whole formation to follow. Easy, unless the leader turns!

With a group of scouts, or a pair, I have tried plotting the leader, then "passing" his card to the wingman, so the wingman 'follows the leader' one card behind. Additional aircraft follow on, each one card behind the previous plane.

So, in a "peel off" situation, first the leader goes, next card No.2, next card No.3 etc..
    Nice! I like this. An elegant way to handle a formation until the furball breaks out.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    It might well work.

When I fly a group of bombers, like my 27 DH4s, I plot for one, and move the whole formation to follow. Easy, unless the leader turns!

I like the "peel of" effect. Must try that the next time I play solo.

My brother and I get together about once a month, sometimes with my son, sometimes with his friend Scott, and run one or two scenarios we string together into a pseudo campaign. 1. We like lots of planes on the table, as many as twelve. 2. We always complain that more than 3 per player gets hard to keep proper track. 3. Then we go and do it again. We have decided we need more players rather than fewer planes.

Two aircraft per person.

I have learned to fly lots of planes at once, in solo games. It was the only way I could play, until I got into Skype gaming.

I like to fly one plane in WGF, and of necessity, two in WGS. The two in WGS is due to the flight characteristics of the game (no quick sharp turns in Spitfires and Bf-109s), and the damage that the WGS planes put out. It is nearly impossible to loose a WGF plane in a single pass, without the Boom Card, but not uncommon in WGS with multiple cannons on a single plane.

All that to say, the "0" choice is missing from the pole.

Last mission, I obviously couldn't keep track of what I was doing and instead of flying away from my enemy to accomplish my mission, I did some bone-headed moves and collided with a plane that should never have caught up with me. The resulting damage destroyed my plane, gave a victory to the other side, and I didn't even take the other guy with me!
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I can handle 2 scouts per side; 4 in all, during solitaire games which are usually dogfights. I keep 'earned' damage cards in a stack with each scout, along with the last played maneuver card for that scout. It goes well! Sometimes, I play an unbalanced meeting engagement where the outnumbered side tries to flee or hide in the clouds.

One plane for WW1 maybe more for WW2.

I had to fly 5 recently when one player had to leave mid-game. It became a problem because the other players frequently had to wait whilst I chose cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    I just received the pictures of a 8 planes WW2 fight over Malta, played in two. 4 planes each. Now I am curious: which is the maximum number of WW1 planes that you handle without problems? Similar poll in WW2 section.
    Thanks so much!
    I like to play 1 plane, though I like having to cooperate with planes run by my solo rules, rather than players - we are too erratic and egocentric to work as a team!

Normally no more than a flight of three aircraft......so far.

Tony.

Playing solo up to about 6 planes is as much as my brain can handle. If playing with others I think it needs to be one plane fir one player, although I have used the wingman idea to some effect.

I always prefer trying to play some form of mission as it gives a purpose to the game.

Two is ideal, but since the question is "most", then four is a good number for me.

I have piloted as many as three and felt dissatisfied as it became way too impersonal for the game. Two is the most planes I'll fly, and that's usually because I'm either playing solo or against a single opponent and want to spice up the scenario, which is why I voted for 2. But my REAL preference is one plane at a time with many players involved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Number of Missions
    By The Mad Hatter in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 15:49
  2. What's your favourite number of planes to command?
    By Marechallannes in forum Polls
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-30-2011, 14:06
  3. Number 500 !
    By Bluedevil in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-31-2011, 17:52
  4. Number of bombs
    By Dutchy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 12:59
  5. Think of a number?