Ares Games

Thread: Am I the only doofus (Fallschirmjäger)

Default Am I the only doofus (Fallschirmjäger)

Last night I was watching a TV program called "The Weapons Hunter" It's all about Paul Shull mission to unearth the wildest weapons of historic warfare, a mix of battlefield-sleuths and arms collectors in one; This week they featured The WW2 "Fallschirmjägergewehr 42" Attachment 184476

a paratrooper rifle/machinegun issued to the German Fallschirmjägers (paratroopers) This program struck a cord with me, as many years ago (1972) I was offer a job lot of weapons with Included the FG 42, To tell the truth the FG 42 meant nothing to me, I just wanted a Maschinenpistole 40 (MP 40)Attachment 184477 And so I made arrangements with a "well off" friend of mine to split the deal, which we did, Now I should point out that in 1972 Reference books were "thin on the ground" years later I realised my mistake, The FG 42 was worth small fortune, This was the first of two major mistakes I have made in my collecting years, The second mistake was being offered a set of "Oak Leaves"Attachment 184478Attachment 184479

for a Knights Cross of the Iron Cross, At the time all I could see was a "Ladies scarf toggle" And so I passed on the Item, Years later rectify my errors, I now have two Fallschirmjägers equipped with FG 42 guarding my coffee machineAttachment 184480

and I bought a fake Knights Cross with Oak Leaves swords and Diamonds in GoldAttachment 184481

So am I the only doofus? It's time to come clean, "what have you done?"

I feel a confession coming on.
    Back in 1962 I had the chance to buy a genuine Martini-Henry Mk.IV Breach-loader. I didn't and have regretted it ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I feel a confession coming on.
    Back in 1962 I had the chance to buy a genuine Martini-Henry Mk.IV Breach-loader. I didn't and have regretted it ever since.
    Back in 2007 I had the chance to buy a genuine PLASTIC Martini-Henry Mk.IV Breach-loader. I bought it and have no regrets

Attachment 184567Attachment 184568

I truly sympathise with you Reg, It's amazing how it becomes an albatross that hangs around your neck for life

Let the whole of my dad's Fleet Air Arm uniform go. I only have his Dog tag and Medal ribbons plus medals left.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

When I was growing up has a small collection of air force cap badges - got rid of a couple because they were 'wrong' - yup they were the original RFC ones - DOH!

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Lucas
    Sorties Flown

I'd hate to rub it in but I managed to snag some tea cup and saucers recently for $25 a set when they usually got for about $100 each

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

When I was stationed in West Berlin in the mid-70s I collected WWI German medals and badges - I had a pilot's badge and observer's badge and a number of other awards...relatively cheap prices I paid for them...and I had to sell them all in '81 to cover medical bills

Ah, well, it needed to be done...but I look at the prices they would bring today (or that I would have to pay to replace them), and I cringe at the difference...
    Nonetheless, I enjoyed them while I had them

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Ninja View Post
    I'd hate to rub it in but I managed to snag some tea cup and saucers recently for $25 a set when they usually got for about $100 each
    Yes! But did you get the Teapot? Attachment 184651
    Last edited by andron234; 01-06-2016 at 01:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    When I was growing up has a small collection of air force cap badges - got rid of a couple because they were 'wrong' - yup they were the original RFC ones - DOH!
    If only you could turn the clock back, Back in the early 70's, there was a collectors shop in Willesden green London, selling genuine Victorian war medals, by the "BAR" £1.00 for a One bar medal, £6.00 for a Six bar medal, I bought a number of Queens South Africa medals, and still have them today Attachment 184652

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    When I was very small 3, going on 4 years old my uncle Bill, recently back from serving in WW2 presented me with a Stahlhiem. Where he got it from I do not know as he was in the Royal Navy and at the end of the war (VJ Day) was serving in the Pacific in HMS Swiftsure. He was a stoker which is the last place I would want to be on a warship. I know he was in Singapore for a short while so I suppose he might have found something there which he later swapped for the Stahlhiem, a Japanese Flag possibly. Unfortunately he passed away three weeks ago and had suffered from Dementia for a few years before that so I will never know.
    The Helmet? I remember playing soldiers with a very good friend of mine, Alan Crabbe, at around 6 or 7 years old; he had a British tin hat and a German Gas Mask
    and I had the German Steel Helmet with a British gas mask. We used to get a tram to Greenwich Park and chase each other around dressed in those with toy guns, probably Wild West Six-guns, I can't actually remember the guns, I just know that we had some. God knows what people must have thought of us as this would have been in 1948/49 so plenty of folks around with fairly recent memories of the war. I do know that we thought we were the Bee's Knee's!
    What happened to the helmet? I don't know. It just disappeared. I suspect my Dad sold it to help buy his first car. They seemed to happen at about the same time I think.

When I was a kid I had an aunt and uncle living the next town over. I always would look over the helmet with a spike on top every visit. Later in my teens when I became interested in history and learned what it was I couldn't wait for the next visit to try to acquire it. Knowing my aunt and uncle I was sure they didn't know what it was. Needless to say the next time I visited the Pickelhaube had been tossed out in the trash!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    When I was a kid I had an aunt and uncle living the next town over. I always would look over the helmet with a spike on top every visit. Later in my teens when I became interested in history and learned what it was I couldn't wait for the next visit to try to acquire it. Knowing my aunt and uncle I was sure they didn't know what it was. Needless to say the next time I visited the Pickelhaube had been tossed out in the trash!
    Oh dear, Oh Dear, Oh dear!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Oh dear, Oh Dear, Oh dear!
    More Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear! Teaticket thats terrible

back when i was a teen i couldve bought at an antique shop i frequented when on vacation a turkish/german m16 helmet for $4, a prussian officers pickelhaube for $14, an early apple green m35 double decal german helmet for 25$. of course all were gone next year when id changed my mind. awhile later i had a spanish m21 helmet i got at a flea market for $11 that i later sold for $20. i found out many years later that it was actually quite rare and would be worth hundreds now had i held on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    back when i was a teen i couldve bought at an antique shop i frequented when on vacation a turkish/german m16 helmet for $4, a prussian officers pickelhaube for $14, an early apple green m35 double decal german helmet for 25$. of course all were gone next year when id changed my mind. awhile later i had a spanish m21 helmet i got at a flea market for $11 that i later sold for $20. i found out many years later that it was actually quite rare and would be worth hundreds now had i held on to it.
    That Sucks.......................................

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

My brother still has a helmet from one of the World Wars which we found on the Isle of Wight. It still has RP/E painted on it and now I gather belongs to my Nieces. Reading this thread has reminded me of it.

Doofus-wise my confession has to be the Hornby Advanced Passenger Train or APT model which I used to own as a child. However as one would expect this got played with between the ages of nine and eighteen and got bashed around accordingly in the process. A friend of mine still has his in it's box though it last ran 20 years ago and he was also twice my age when he first got it. These £50.00 models in 1981 now fetch well over £100.00 on The E-Bay - more if the electrification pantograph which sells for £50.00 on it's own these days is included!