Ares Games

Thread: Zoom climb

Default Zoom climb

I read about "Zoom Climb" in a number of articles, anybody got a three card maneuver pls

Have a look here Dan, Ezekial (Gallo Rojo) wrote some house rules on this exact subject !
    If you Advanced search boom&zoom by Gallo Rojo you will find other threads he has created on this matter too.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks flash, your posts and pic have had a big impact on my group, thanks again

Glad to help - Happy new year !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hi Dan!
    As Dave said I've proposed a house rule some times I call 'zoom climb' and some times I call 'over-climb'. You may find a longer description at the House Rules Subforum, but I can give you a summary here

Over-climb is a 3 cards maneuver that mirrows the official over-dive

over-dive: STALL - DIVE (loose an altitude level) -- STRAIGHT (loose a 2nd altitude level)

over-climb: STRAIGHT -- CLIMB (earn a climb marker) -- STALL (earn a 2nd altitude marker)

If you're playing with the optional rule of shooting and speed, where if a plane is beign shooted at during the DIVE-STRAIGHT parts of over-dive it can dogge a damage card (see game manual) because it is a fast moving target, you can mirror that too in the over climb: if a plane over-climbing is shooted at during the CLIMB-STALL part of the over clim all (non zero) damage take a +1 penaly -- sice the plane is moving slowly

So, in an over dive the plane beggins loosing speed (representdd by the STALL card) and then performs a nose-dive (represented by the DIVE and STRAIGHT cards loosing two altitude levels in a row), in the over-climb the plane begins by winning speed (represented by the STRAIGHT card and then takes a steep climb, represented by the CLIM & STALL cards and wins two climb markers in a row)

The house-rule maneuver is intended to help re-creating actual live boom&zoom tactics used on late WWI by some planes such as SPAD S.XIII and SE5 and more widely on WW2, where a fighter that dives into attack earns momentum (the boom) and then trades speed per altitude for a steep climb (the zoom) and attack again from above

When I play I dont allow two seaters to do the over climb, only fighters. You can also beef up certain structurally sound fighters known for using boom&zoom tactics such as SE5 and SPAD allowing them to use the 3rd maneuver in the over-dive as the first maneuver in the over-climb: STALL-DIVE-STRAIGHT-CLIMB-STALL, saving one STRAIGHT maneuvre

Hi Dan!
    As Dave said I've proposed a house rule some times I call 'zoom climb' and some times I call 'over-climb'. You may find a longer description at the House Rules Subforum, but I can give you a summary here

Over-climb is a 3 cards maneuver that mirrows the official over-dive

over-dive: STALL - DIVE (loose an altitude level) -- STRAIGHT (loose a 2nd altitude level)

over-climb: STRAIGHT -- CLIMB (earn a climb marker) -- STALL (earn a 2nd altitude marker)

If you're playing with the optional rule of shooting and speed, where if a plane is beign shooted at during the DIVE-STRAIGHT parts of over-dive it can dogge a damage card (see game manual) because it is a fast moving target, you can mirror that too in the over climb: if a plane over-climbing is shooted at during the CLIMB-STALL part of the over clim all (non zero) damage take a +1 penaly -- sice the plane is moving slowly

So, in an over dive the plane beggins loosing speed (representdd by the STALL card) and then performs a nose-dive (represented by the DIVE and STRAIGHT cards loosing two altitude levels in a row), in the over-climb the plane begins by winning speed (represented by the STRAIGHT card and then takes a steep climb, represented by the CLIM & STALL cards and wins two climb markers in a row)

The house-rule maneuver is intended to help re-creating actual live boom&zoom tactics used on late WWI by some planes such as SPAD S.XIII and SE5 and more widely on WW2, where a fighter that dives into attack earns momentum (the boom) and then trades speed per altitude for a steep climb (the zoom) and attack again from above

When I play I dont allow two seaters to do the over climb, only fighters. You can also beef up certain structurally sound fighters known for using boom&zoom tactics such as SE5 and SPAD allowing them to use the 3rd maneuver in the over-dive as the first maneuver in the over-climb: STALL-DIVE-STRAIGHT-CLIMB-STALL, saving one STRAIGHT maneuvre

Similar Missions

1. Another take on Boom'N'Zoom
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGS: House Rules
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 03:53
  2. good boom & zoom aircrafts
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 03:33
  3. Boom&Zoom (again!) Beta House-Rule
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 0