Ares Games

Thread: Let's play in Western Sydney

mikaelwardhana

Default Let's play in Western Sydney

A keen newbie here in Western Sydney/ the hills district.

Anyone in the area interested to battle it out? Would be great to get a group together.

Let me know.

Thanks

Mike

Thumbs up

G'day Mikael & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the other pilots who fly in NSW.

You might like to send a PM to Rat of Vengeance as he is out your way from memory.
    Keep us informed of your progress & good luck.
    Sadly I live way down the South Coast in Moruya

How about posting a list of what you have been able to grab so far in models etc.

Another thought would be to join our Solo campaigns. Keith Upton who owns the site is planning a big one in 2016!

mikaelwardhana

Thanks dude!

I will try to contact rat of vengeance for sure.

At the moment I have 6 models all from WWII series.

I have these planes:

2x Spitfires
    2x Kawasaki ki61
    1x BF110
    1x FW190
    And play mat

Thinking of getting the WWI as well but concerned i wont have anyone to play them with. Been trying to play with my Missus but she said the geek level is abit too high for her lol. (Shes an avid boardgame player herself)

What's a solo campaign?

On behalf of the Squadrons based here in Dear old Blighty, welcome to the Drome Mikael.
    I'm sure you will find some other interested members to take up your lead.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Mikael, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the Aerodrome Mikael from Derbyshire in the UK from an Anglo-Australian. You have come to the right place to seek fellow Members - we have a strong Australian contingent. Also glad to see you are a WGS man like myself who plays against the Wife.

Would recommend getting yourself into both WGF and WGS if money permits like it doesn't with me unfortunately - increase gaming opportunities for you but careful not to confuse the rules. Also a Solo Campaign is a succession of games played using either version of Wings of Glory featuring the same pilot or characters and their progression from one mission to the next. Solo rules apply - this game works perfectly well in Solitaire / solo mode which is one of its major assets.

G'day and welcome aboard Mikael

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by mikaelwardhana View Post
    Thanks dude!

I will try to contact rat of vengeance for sure.

At the moment I have 6 models all from WWII series.

I have these planes:

2x Spitfires
    2x Kawasaki ki61
    1x BF110
    1x FW190
    And play mat

Thinking of getting the WWI as well but concerned i wont have anyone to play them with. Been trying to play with my Missus but she said the geek level is abit too high for her lol. (Shes an avid boardgame player herself)

What's a solo campaign?
    Hi again Mikael!

O.K. a couple of points:
    First do check out the Over the Front Campaign down in the WW1 section of the Forum. You can read all about the various Solo Campaigns we play using Rules first done by Richard Bradley using a chart & a D6 to fly your opponents aircraft. Since the original rules there have been at least two additional improvements. Dave (flash) has developed a D8 based chart & 'quim (blackronan) has a universal diceless chart. Both these use a Clock Template on the enemy aircraft to determine the section of the chart to dice on.

There are full rules in the "stickies" at the top of the Forum WW1 campaign section & there are After Action reports with photos so you can see how it all works!

Secondly I think your wife might find the 3 card method of the WW1 game easier & as well the aircraft are very colourful & their abilities are far more varied.

Anyway do check out the Solo Campaigns & let me know your thoughts. The Clock & charts are available & a PM to flash will be sure to get you his D8 charts,

Again good luck & enjoy the Forum experience. Amazing amount of info available here!

Geoff Kirby

Hello everyone, I should introduce myself firstly, my name is Geoff Kirby and have been interested in WW1 aircraft for some time, together with a number of different war-gaming periods ,this is the first time I have made a comment in the "Forum", my apologies for taking so long to "appear", never the less, having just noted Mikes questioning on Western Sydney, I thought you should know about our war-games club, based in Rydalmere, which is about a 10-15 minuet drive from any part in the Hills district.
    I have been running a "Wings of War" competition, every December, but only WW1 aircraft, the following is our web-site and if you look at the blogs for December, you will be able to see what we have been doing for the past 3 years. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gkirby/nswa.htm
    I hope that you find it interesting and you might like to get in touch with me in the very near future.
    Thank you to everyone for making this forum and for that matter the whole web-site, most enjoyable .
    Many thanks and kind regards
    Geoff

Firstly welcome from the Squadrons in the U.K. Geoff.
    I hope that this will be only the first of many posts from you. It is always good to hear from you chaps down under.
    Do pop into the Officers' Club and crack open a virtual Tinny or three whilst chewing the fat with the chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the Aerodrome from Cape Cod. As you can see this is a lively and active group. Definitely try out the solo system. I too have few local options so solo keeps me in the game. WWI is also great. My wife and I like it more than WW2 and she is a deadly pilot! If you paint, paint your wife up a special plane for her, believe me, it will help draw her in.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Welcome Geoff and an especially warm Anglo-Australian welcome from Derbyshire as my Father's name was Geoffrey too. As I said to Mikael we have a strong Australian contingent at the moment and it is great to have you on board

Welcome to the 'Drome, Geoff, from Middlesex in the U.K.

Hope you manage to hook up with Mikael.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Kirby View Post
    Hello everyone, I should introduce myself firstly, my name is Geoff Kirby and have been interested in WW1 aircraft for some time, together with a number of different war-gaming periods ,this is the first time I have made a comment in the "Forum", my apologies for taking so long to "appear", never the less, having just noted Mikes questioning on Western Sydney, I thought you should know about our war-games club, based in Rydalmere, which is about a 10-15 minuet drive from any part in the Hills district.
    I have been running a "Wings of War" competition, every December, but only WW1 aircraft, the following is our web-site and if you look at the blogs for December, you will be able to see what we have been doing for the past 3 years. http://members.ozemail.com.au/~gkirby/nswa.htm
    I hope that you find it interesting and you might like to get in touch with me in the very near future.
    Thank you to everyone for making this forum and for that matter the whole web-site, most enjoyable .
    Many thanks and kind regards
    Geoff
    G'day Geoff! Great that you have "reported in"!
    Sounds like you are doing a good job there.
    Have you contacted Rat of Vengeance? He is out your way & was very active a year or so ago.

Look forward to hearing more from you now you have officially joined the Forum.

Geoff Kirby

Thanks Barry, no I haven't contacted the R of V as yet, but will try over the next few days.
    I went back in to my clubs web-site and noticed there was a comment at the bottom of the photo's posted by a "Barry", so I am assuming that it might have been you, so I will thank you nonetheless even if it wasn't, I thank you for your warm welcome.
    Kind regards
    Geoff

Geoff Kirby

Rob ( Flying officer Kyte ), many thanks again for your most generous offer to drop into the officers club, I guess I will be toasting the members with a few Toohey's ( not VB) {Aussie beers} on Australia Day (tomorrow) 26/01/16.
    I met up with Zoe at Cancon yesterday, the display that she puts on deserves very high praise indeed.
    Hopefully we will be able to meet up with all the members one day, but a special G'day to all the U.K members.
    Regards
    Geoff

Similar Missions

1. WESTERN AUSTRALIA
    By STEPHEN NAPIER in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-01-2013, 06:07
  2. Baltimore-Washington Hello from Western Maryland
    By vigliotti in forum US Wing
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-20-2013, 17:52
  3. Spotted for sale in Sydney