Ares Games

Thread: Fact or Fiction two (the return) ?

Default Fact or Fiction two (the return) ?

During the Yom Kippur War, the Israeli Air force (IAF) operate the F-4E, Attachment 183559

As the mainstay of its air power, the mighty Phantom took part in all the major Arab-Israeli conflicts.
    during the Yom Kippur War (1973), the Israeli Air force found itself facing an "Arab air forces coalition" which was composed not only by Syrian and Egyptian fighter squadrons, but also by units from Iraq, Libya, Algeria and North Korea (this a major Secret at the time), all deploying MiG-21 squadrons to Bir Arida to protect Egypt southern region.

Obviously, at the time, the Israeli pilots didn’t know that some of the MiGs they would face were flown by North Korean pilots, The first engagement between North Korean pilots and Israeli pilots took place on 6th Oct 1973 when two F-4 Kurnass (Sledgehammer) pairs from 69 and 119 Squadrons were scrambled from Ramat David Air Base for a patrol over the Gulf of Suez sector.
    After a long patrol, when the jets were already low on fuel, that the F-4s were vectored towards Egypt’s west-northwest: even if they were flying at the high altitude, between 20,000 and 25,000 feet, One of the Israeli pilots spotted a pair of MiGs on his radar at lower altitude, in a position where achieving a radar lock would be extremely difficult. With the help of a GCI (Ground Control Intercept) station the Israeli Phantoms tracked the enemy formation, Although at suitable distance for an AIM-7 shot, the two F-4s could not engage the enemy planes because bad weather and terrain effects prevented lock on the “bandits”
    Seconds later, the second pair of Israeli pilots "saw" the two MiG-21s and immediately engaged them, one of the MiGs disappeared off the radar, while the other Fishbed was forced into a 1 on 2 combat.
    Alone against the two Kurnass (supported by two more F-4s from 119 Squadron which were flying overhead CAP), the MiG pilot could not escape missile attack, They launched an AIM-9D; a second later, they launched a second Sidewinder which was followed by a third, All the missiles exploded very close to the MiG, but missed, and the Fishbed continued flying.

With little gas remaining for more dogfighting, the Israeli Phantoms were forced to abort the engagement and return to base, As they turned eastbound, They noticed a white smoke trail from the Fishbed, Soon after the F-4s had crossed the coastline, one of the Israeli pilots saw the smoke trail of a SAM2 (Surface to Air Missile) heading towards the damaged MiG, followed by a very large explosion, at around 20,000 feet, spot on the MiG-21, The Egyptians had shot down one of their "Own" aircraft, Only after the end of the war, (confirmed by the IAF Intelligence) did the Israeli pilots became aware that the MiG-21 belonged to North Korea. Fact or Fiction you decide? (Please vote) I vote True.

Interesting, and nice photo intro. It seems very plausible, so I venture a fact verdict.

When I was separating from active duty from the U.S.A.F., I was informed that the soon-to-be last active duty Wild Weasel wing, flying F4Gs, was interested in talking to me about going over. That would have been a cool assignment.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

after learning of how soviet pilots operated north korean mig 15s during the korean war id buy north korean pilots operating migs in later wars.

I vote True because it seems plausible.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I vote True because it seems plausible.
    I also vote true. Enjoying these Fact of Fiction threads they are very interesting

Similar Missions

1. Fact or Fiction ?
    By andron234 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 14:32
  2. Multiplayer: Fiction Over the English Channel
    By THECCRICH in forum WGS: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-23-2014, 04:32
  3. Shocking Fact Finding Trip!
    By richard m schwab in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 19