Ares Games

Thread: Now you see it now you don't.

Default Now you see it now you don't.

Last week I paid a visit to R.A.F. Hendon, to view their new wing dedicated to WW1 aircraft Attachment 183493 Once inside (For Free) I was surrounded by what I thought was WW1 aircraft and displays.Attachment 183494Attachment 183495

I found a very friendly and knowledgeable female museum attendant, Who promptly told me that "Only PART of one aircraft was original" all the rest are reproductions only the fuselage of the Albatros D.Va is original, and even that plane had to be called "Albatros D.Va Replica" If I had paid, I would asking for my money back, It's originals that float my boat (Alas)

To be honest, I'd rather see a good reproduction/replica than not see anything at all. Not sure about the Albatros fuselage being original, but the engine is. It was supplied by the RAF Museum.

There are a couple of aircraft there that are original - the Caudron G3, Fokker D.VII for example, and although its actual predigree is uncertain, the SE5a could claim to be original.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Just getting to see anything with a WWI connection is good for me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just getting to see anything with a WWI connection is good for me.
    Rob.
    I don't disagree, But if it was anything else, the nice people who work for the trade descriptions act, would have your knees off at your elbows !!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'm sure the Sopwith triplane's an original. Aircraft have very odd rules though - pretty much as long as you have the builder's plate, you can replace everything else....

Dom's correct, the Museum's Tripehound is only one of two surviving originals.

This might be useful, lifted from another forum:

The RAF Museum conservation centre, Cardington quoted by Ray Rimmel in ‘World War One Survivors’, in a photo:

“The museum defines reproduction as an exact or nearly exact example of an original.

A replica is merely a look alike of different construction to the original.”

Robert Mikesh, former Senior Curator of the National Air & Space Museum, in ‘Restoring Museum Aircraft’ gives six categories: original; restored original; replica; reproduction; look-alike and mock-up.

Briefly, he defines them as follows:

“Original: A specimen that can be shown to be in the original as-built configuration, or as modified by the user, that remains unaltered from the time it ended operational service.” He gives Spirit of St Louis as an example.

“Restored original (Restoration): An artefact composed of at least 50% original components (by surface area or volume) and the remainder returned to accurate early condition made with the same materials, components and accessories.” – He quotes it as a USAFM definition.

“Replica: A reproduction built by the builder of the original artefact in part or in total.” Another USAFM definition. Interestingly he gives the example of the Gee Bee Super Sportster build by the New England Air Museum with the technical supervision of the Grandville Bros Chief Engineer Pete Miller. If it’s got original bits, he says ‘Replica with some Original Parts’.

“Reproduction: A reasonable facsimile in appearance and construction of an aircraft made with similar materials, and having substantially the same type engine and operating systems.”
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Had the pleasure last month of going to Hendon when i was back in the UK. IMHO a good replica is better than a thousand photos of the real thing. At Hendon you can get really close to the exhibits and get a feel for what the originals were like, and it's free!!!
    Not many aero museums in the world you can say that about.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

At least the museum attendant was friendly Drew !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

I was greatly disappointed last year after Doncaster. I went to Hendon on a mission to see this exhibit but it was not open. Grrrrr. Oh well, looks like I'll have to get across the pond before this exhibit is over. I think I read it is open until 2020. I better find out for sure, hate to show up a week after the exhibit closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I was greatly disappointed last year after Doncaster. I went to Hendon on a mission to see this exhibit but it was not open. Grrrrr. Oh well, looks like I'll have to get across the pond before this exhibit is over. I think I read it is open until 2020. I better find out for sure, hate to show up a week after the exhibit closed.
    Just so you know, the U.K. is closed on Thursdays

Sorry for your disappointment, but I am glad you shared, Drew. This is on our list, now, of sites to see when visiting the U.K.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

When your next "in town" I would be delighted to show you around the museum, I live ten minutes from the museum so I've been there once or 7200 times or so, PM me and Ill give you my phone number

Hi Drew,

That would be awesome. I think we're most excited about meeting 'Drome members while touring the country.

I have an online meeting in 2 minutes, but will exchange info this afternoon.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

I would also rather see a perfect replica that bits and pieces or nothing - I haven't been to Hendon since I was a boy - on the visit list for next year - maybe we should have an 'Aerodrome Outing' am sure we would get more than a few takers - there's this, also Stoe Marie Airfield and the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden in Bedfordshire... Lets start a thread and see what the feelings are.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

If museums were restricted to original items, visiting them would not be such a rich experience.