Ares Games

Thread: Number one Hobby

Default Number one Hobby

After looking at some of Rob's pictures, you can't but notice some of his ships in the back/foreground, or should I say fleet's, So here's the question is "Wings of War/Glory" your number one hobby? For me the Answer is No, I collect Dragon 1/6 scale soldiers (Today's Action man)Attachment 183362Attachment 183363
    And as of my last count I have 165, Check out the kind of thing I do with them on you tube "DIORAMA: Das Reich in a French basement" (my first ever video) Please let me know/see what your "Number one Hobby" is/looks like? Merry Christmas.

Egyptian PT.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Egyptian PT.
    Attachment 183364 Each to their own.

Ridding the world of Belgian beer, bottle by bottle
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Now that's what I call a hobby

my number one hobby is collecting ww1 and ww2 militariaName:  DISPLAY0001.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  186.4 KB

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Ridding the world of Belgian beer, bottle by bottle
    Sir that definitely deserves a of Hoegaarden! From me

My Number One Hobby is collecting 1/72 and 1/144 scale diecast aircraft models. Other scales included sporadically like Model Power's Postage Stamp Range. Primarily WW2 as well but collection includes V Bombers and some modern jets of the RAF.

I'd have to say that Military History in general is my #1 hobby. But there are so many others to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    Attachment 183364 Each to their own.
    Well I suppose I'd better come clean then, joking apart, I suppose I'd have to say wargaming then......now there's a surprise!
    See you on the Dark Side......

Not sure if its a hobby - (although it takes up more time than my wargaming, gaming in general, writing etc.) but being the best grandad possible to my 5 yr. old grand daughter is certainly the most enjoyable past time I have...

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Seeking for the perfect G&T whilst playing Wings of Glory.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Smile

well separating Hobby from Gaming I have to say Antique Tractors & Stationary engines.
    Photo evidence attached!
    However Wings has eclipsed Warhammer 40K 100% & is definitely my Number One game.

Name:  InterA414 & D30.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  70.7 KBName:  A414 on Sled.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  63.2 KBName:  F12 in Parade front.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  103.6 KBName:  International M.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  127.0 KBName:  Me with Wolseley.jpg
Size:  85.7 KBName:  Me with Stover.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  67.5 KB
    Name:  BH on <acronym title=DB D30 Braidwood Parade.jpg Views: 171 Size: 173.1 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Name:  A 414 Tractor Trek 2014.jpg
Size:  194.0 KB

My current no.1 hobby is trying and loosing interest in as many hobbies as possible in quick succession.
    Luckily Wings of War/Glory has yet to succumb to this fate. I put this down to my love of all things flying, and the wonderful people on this forum. I can't speak the same to some other game fans.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    I put this down to my love of all things flying, and the wonderful people on this forum. I can't speak the same to some other game fans.
    The Aerodrome IMHO is pretty unique for a number of reasons and in many ways in comparison with other gaming sites. However I think two other things which stands in Wings of Glory's favour in remaining as a hobby of yours is it's versatility and constant learning environment factors. No two games are ever the same even if you try playing head on attacks on consecutive occasions - shorter game maybe but never unless by pure fluke the same. This applies to both WGF and WGS. You can also play both versions Solitaire / solo with ease. This I compare with trying to play Bolt Action in the same manner and all the boom-ting you have to go through before the game even starts!

Compared with my main interests' longevities some of my shorter-lived hobbies and interests have been almost laughable: Ultimate Frisbee - 1 month. Indoor Radio Controlled Helicopters - 6 months amassing a collection of 20! War Thunder (Pay to Progress PC Game) - 3 weeks. Oh, and Microsoft (I think?) Ship Simulator Extremes ... 2 weeks of expensive bug-laden purchase with along with incorrect graphics card in my PC (works fine on laptop but it's too late now!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonx View Post
    The Aerodrome IMHO is pretty unique for a number of reasons and in many ways in comparison with other gaming sites. However I think two other things which stands in Wings of Glory's favour in remaining as a hobby of yours is it's versatility and constant learning environment factors. No two games are ever the same even if you try playing head on attacks on consecutive occasions - shorter game maybe but never unless by pure fluke the same. This applies to both WGF and WGS. You can also play both versions Solitaire / solo with ease. This I compare with trying to play Bolt Action in the same manner and all the boom-ting you have to go through before the game even starts!
    The other main thing is being invited on to the stats committee has enthused my inner geek, and my overt megalomaniac tendencies

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    being invited on to the stats committee
    Congratulations Steve. Well earned and well done

Playing games and being a GEEK, that was when I had a slide ruler and pocket protector.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by andron234 View Post
    After looking at some of Rob's pictures, you can't but notice some of his ships in the back/foreground, or should I say fleet's, So here's the question is "Wings of War/Glory" your number one hobby? For me the Answer is No, I collect Dragon 1/6 scale soldiers (Today's Action man)Attachment 183362Attachment 183363
    And as of my last count I have 165, Check out the kind of thing I do with them on you tube "DIORAMA: Das Reich in a French basement" (my first ever video) Please let me know/see what your "Number one Hobby" is/looks like? Merry Christmas.
    What fantastic models.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    well separating Hobby from Gaming I have to say Antique Tractors & Stationary engines.
    Photo evidence attached!
    However Wings has eclipsed Warhammer 40K 100% & is definitely my Number One game.

Name:  InterA414 & D30.jpg
Size:  70.7 KBName:  A414 on Sled.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  63.2 KBName:  F12 in Parade front.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  103.6 KBName:  International M.JPG
Views: 171
Size:  127.0 KBName:  Me with Wolseley.jpg
Size:  85.7 KBName:  Me with Stover.jpg
Size:  67.5 KB
    Name:  BH on <acronym title=DB D30 Braidwood Parade.jpg Views: 171 Size: 173.1 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Name:  A 414 Tractor Trek 2014.jpg
Size:  194.0 KB
    Way to go Baz, Can you come and do my veggie patch with those beauties?

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Number 1 "Hobby" is the grandkids . My mission is to turn them into wargaming/boardgaming fiends , in an effort to teach them that it is the playing and the comradery of the game that counts, not the winning.

That and when they are a little older the joys of good French red wine, which has to be enjoyed while flying an OTT scenario.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

LOOP

I have so many hobbies to choose from it's hard to choose just one....
    But right now I'd say WGF. But I am a birdwatcher, collect whisky, music just to name a few.
    My new family take nearly all my free time right now so all my hobbies but WGF is more or less dorment right now
    But it is worth the sacrifise

For me within Wargames Wings of Glory battles with Martian themed battles for the top slot (depending on the day ). Outside wargames it's astronomy and astrophotography - fortunately the time slots are different so little conflict between the two

All the above sound great and just go to show what a great group are on here. I did archery until my shoulder played up, still do some shooting (airweapons there days im affraid but many years ago did practical Pistol shooting) and comic books. Not enough hours in the day.

Although modeling, primarily aircraft and tanks, have been part of my pastimes over the years, about 12 or 15 years ago I got into 1:1 scale modeling ;-) as seen below:
    Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  177.4 KB

Name:  osh09.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  Dsc02676.jpg
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  11924337_10204688862318601_8873699825483704886_o.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  135.5 KB

Although my days of "playing" are numbered, I can always switch back to modeling in scale!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Way to go Baz, Can you come and do my veggie patch with those beauties?
    Your float (transport) costs might be a bit high Paul.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Number 1 "Hobby" is the grandkids . My mission is to turn them into wargaming/boardgaming fiends , in an effort to teach them that it is the playing and the comradery of the game that counts, not the winning.

That and when they are a little older the joys of good French red wine, which has to be enjoyed while flying an OTT scenario.

Baz.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    Although modeling, primarily aircraft and tanks, have been part of my pastimes over the years, about 12 or 15 years ago I got into 1:1 scale modeling ;-) as seen below:
    Name:  Image1.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  177.4 KB

Name:  osh09.jpg
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  Dsc02676.jpg
Size:  159.5 KB

Name:  11924337_10204688862318601_8873699825483704886_o.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  135.5 KB

Although my days of "playing" are numbered, I can always switch back to modeling in scale!
    Now that does look like FUN!

Those could be scenes from a movie, Bob.
    Great pics. I'll bet that was a blast.

I have been to some small scale American Civil War re-enactments here in Orrygun.
    Would like to see some WWII some day.

Similar Missions

1. Hobby vrs Collecting
    By boomerpete53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-11-2014, 00:03
  2. A Trip to Hobby Lobby . . .
    By clipper1801 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 17:34
  3. New hobby, New Connections
    By Omegalazarus in forum WGF: General Discussions