Ares Games

Thread: Flyboys Cards for Nieuport 17 / 21

Default Flyboys Cards for Nieuport 17 / 21

Morning Chaps
    Has anyone made the cards for the Nieuport 17 / 21 for the Flyboys movie I fancy doing the attack on the Zeppelin and as the people shown were all real pilots I thought it may be a good option.
    Not sure about the Dr1’s but they would be good as well just to keep in with the movie and the concept of the game

Regards Kev

I know someone on the site painted up a few of the Dr.Is from the movie. But, it's pretty easy to represent those from the movie. You need the one custom painted black one and then about 20 MvR red ones and you are set. lol

I have a black and the standard red DR1 but it is the cards that is the issue.
    I am hopeing the new nieuports will be out soon and I can repaint them to make up the main players? it will take some time but could be a good project and a fun game.

Regards Kev

Default The main players

Hi Chaps
    I have found some pictures of the main Nieuport aircraft markings from the film but have no way of making the cards any help would be appreciated.

Regards Kev
    Attached Images     

Try Rabbit3 he has at least 6 Escadrille Lafayette Nieuports. I'm sure Dom did the decals. I know this doesn't help with cards but Rabbit3 might have them.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Try Rabbit3 he has at least 6 Escadrille Lafayette Nieuports. I'm sure Dom did the decals. I know this doesn't help with cards but Rabbit3 might have them.

Neil
    Yup, Dom does a Nieuport 17 sheet that gives you options to do six Storks or six Lafayette N 17`s.
    They are actually of real Lafayette aircraft though rather than the fictional movie planes but from what I remember the markings there borrowed insignia from a number of different planes of the Lafayette and other units.
    As far as cards are concerned I`ve got some templates set up already so the top downs already posted should work though I haven`t a clue as to which fictional pilot flew which plane.

Ranks? Names? Which colour scheme for which pilot?

Cards might show up if the info is available, rather than make me look for it?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Drafts of some of the above schemes:
    Captain Reed Cassidy
    Name:  nieuport-17_RedW.jpg
Views: 1470
Size:  73.6 KB

Flight Lieutenant Blaine Rawlings
    Name:  nieuport-17_TriClr.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  77.5 KB

Flight Lieutenant William Jensen
    Name:  nieuport-17_Red14.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  70.4 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-15-2015 at 11:19. Reason: Update graphics
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Drafts of some of the above schemes:
    Attachment 183392
    Attachment 183393 Squadron leader Captain Reed Cassidy
    Attachment 183394
    Lieutenant Blaine Rawlings

This is what I have upto now working on the other pilots

great pictures can not wait to see the cards

Thanks Kev

TriColor Chevrons - Blaine Rawlings

Red W - Reed Cassidy

Red bar across upper wing - Eugene Skinner

Other schemes found, but no names, and no ranks for any of them.
    Mike

TriColor Chevrons - Blaine Rawlings Flight Lieutenant

Red W - Reed Cassidy Squadron leader Captain

Red bar across upper wing - Eugene Skinner Flight Lieutenant

Other schemes found, but no names, and no ranks for any of them.
    Flight Lieutenant

Still having probems finding names but updated what I know

Regards Kev

Flight Lieutenant Eugene Skinner
    Name:  nieuport-17_RedStrp.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  71.6 KB

Flight Lieutenant Lyle Porter
    Name:  nieuport-17_RedStrps.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  69.9 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-15-2015 at 11:22. Reason: Add Graphics
    Mike

Kevin,
    Check the updated images above for concurrence?
    Mike

Name:  WWF_Nieuport17_Card_Cassidy.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  WWF_Nieuport17_Card_Jensen.png
Views: 1178
Size:  651.3 KB

Name:  WWF_Nieuport17_Card_Porter.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  148.7 KB

Name:  WWF_Nieuport17_Card_Rawlings.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  WWF_Nieuport17_Card_Skinner.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  142.8 KB
    Mike

Ok! Excellent job Mike! Now I have to have them all. I only have 18 Nieuport 17's, but none of these guys! So who has the side views? Or do I have to make Mrs Clipper sit through the movie one more time?

Dave!
    Try Googling the Eduard models, as there are instructions on the internet with four of the above planes. (Eduard 1/48 "Flyboys" Nieuport-17)

Skinner's might be found if you look for the Carousel die-cast Flyboys models.
    Mike

Good call, got them all now, just to fit them into the holiday schedule . . .

Great cards
    There is an MG missing from the top wing of Cassidy this may be a Nieuport 21 not sure?

All I can say is THANKYOU the game is well on the way and with the new models comming out it is all comming together

Thanks again Kev

Excellent cards, as always!

Now I know what to do with my supernumerary Nieuports!

Quote Originally Posted by FLt Brown View Post
    Great cards
    There is an MG missing from the top wing of Cassidy this may be a Nieuport 21 not sure?

All I can say is THANKYOU the game is well on the way and with the new models comming out it is all comming together

Thanks again Kev
    Kev,
    Hmmm...

Yes. There is an MG missing from the top wing of Cassidy's plane. Oversight on my part, but easier on the cards.

If you want an additional Lewis Gun on the top wing, it would be on a fixed mounting (French didn't use the Fosters mount, and none of the images I can find show anything but a fixed mount). Therefore, you'd be A damage for the first five shots, and B damage for the remainder of any engagement/scenario.

How that would show up on a card, I have no idea. Do you want the card with the A damage indicator, or a B, or perhaps an AS indicator?

BTW: For any browser on this thread, I identified the above images using this posting by JackFlash on the AeroScale site:

Greetings all;
    Proceeding with this build I have closed up the fuselage and drilled all required pilot holes for the simulated rigging and control cables. Noting that this build is meant to show off the basic kit and predominately the decals. Also I am taking the opportunity to embelish this build with some left over Eduard photoetch.

Since serial numbers have been applied to the movie birds and are present in the kit I decided to do a bit of digging. There is no biographical detail provided in the kit as to the colour schemes and personal markings. As a matter of fact even if you have seen the Flyboys website it is difficult to understand except if you have seen the movie what aircraft belonged to who. For our European builders this is a bit unfair so hopefully the following will help a bit.

"A" scheme is Cassidy's machine N1723. The red striping on the engine cowling is reminiscent of No. 1 Sqdn RFC in about August,1917. The "W" on Cassidy's top wing was copied from Harold Willis' SPAD VII of the original Lafayette Escadrille. In the line up image at the beginning of this article you can see that they tried to employ every cowling marking variation they could on the Nieuports. The Cassidy character was the embodiment of Raoul Lufbery from the original Lafayette Escadrille. The markings of R. Soubiran were replaced with the two tone inverted “V” with the #2 at its interior. These personal emblems on the Nieuports were vinyl stick-ons and were changed regularly. Also it is unknown as to what machine this serial (N1723) was originally assigned to in 1917, but probably a Nieuport 17 acording to where it falls in the production batch.

“B” scheme is the "early in the movie" version of Blaine Rawlings’ machine N1653. (This number may have been on a Nieuport 11 originally.) Note his wing markings are similar to the French ace Ltn Charles Nungesser. The tricolour wing stripes were added to his aircraft in June 1917 after an accidental combat where his black and white personal marking was mistaken for a German aircraft. The double “R" marking on Rawlings' Nieuport is similar to Charles Dolan's CHD monogram on his Lafayette Escadrille SPAD VII and his SPAD XIII used in 1918 when was in an American unit.

“C” scheme is N1074 was used for Porter's machine. The Flag / pennant should be black and white with a Bible verse from 2 Timothy quoted. (This number may have been assigned to a 2 seater Nieuport 13 originally.) and instead of the aluminum cowling this movie machine is also known to have red stripes on the metal cowling similar to the Cassidy machine during the filming.

“D” scheme is supposed to be the William Jensen’s N1407. But should have a black knight's helmet instead of the blue falcon. (This serial number was assigned to a Nieuport 16 in the Belgian Air Service and named “Fox - Trot”.)
    Source: Aeroscale.co.uk - The Flyboys Thread

PS: A Nieuport 21 is an underpowered 17. Can't see it having an extra gun. Perhaps only the overwing, and no fuselage mount?
    Mike

So, for that extra (short ammo) Lewis gun on Cassidy's plane, I suggest this card:

Name:  WWF_Nieuport17_Card_Cassidy_LG.png
Views: 1149
Size:  779.5 KB
    Mike

Do you know Mike, I can feel a few missions over the French Lines coming on.
    Time I gave my Escadrille planes an outing.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Well if we`re going all `Lafeyette Escadrille`.
    Name:  N-124 Sheet.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  187.1 KB
    (None of these had overwing markings)
    And just to ensure "The Storks" also get a mention.
    Name:  N-3 Sheet.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  185.2 KB
    These are all for the planes on Doms decal sheet which, if you don`t already know can be found here.
    http://domsdecals.com/epages/81fc44d...ucts/144-FR-S1
    Last edited by Rabbit 3; 12-17-2015 at 03:52.

So, for that extra (short ammo) Lewis gun on Cassidy's plane, I suggest this card:

This is brilliant and the information found is also great I like the idea of the reduced firing so will go with that all I need now is more Nieuports to make up the flight.

Thanks again Kev

Hi Chaps
    Well I have the cards so here is my first Nieuport just need some more to make up the rest?

Name:  CIMG2275.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  114.3 KBName:  CIMG2271.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  125.0 KB

Thanks again for all the help with this project

Regards Kev

Fantastic First Flyboy, Kev!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit 3 View Post
    Well if we`re going all `Lafeyette Escadrille`.
    Name:  N-124 Sheet.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  187.1 KB
    (None of these had overwing markings)
    And just to ensure "The Storks" also get a mention.
    Name:  N-3 Sheet.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  185.2 KB
    These are all for the planes on Doms decal sheet which, if you don`t already know can be found here.
    http://domsdecals.com/epages/81fc44d...ucts/144-FR-S1
    FANTASTIC!!! Just what I wanted! Many thanks!

OMG Tim - whatever next? now we have upgunned Nieuports, where will it end - they will be putting extra guns onto Bristols next - its just crazy, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Default New repaint

Hi all
    Well it has been a long time coming but I got some new Nieuport 17's and have finished my second aircraft.

Regards Kev
    Attached Images   

Disaster!
    I have finished my next Flyboy and decided to varnish it with the last one and the Acrylic varnish has gone white the two models now look like they are covered in Snow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am gutted and do not know what to do with them other than strip them and start again any help would be welcome

Avery sad Kev

Arghh - that's a bugger Kev, probably a start over but you could try working it over with white spirit to see if you can get it off.

"He is wise who watches"

Try re spraying it in a cool but not damp atmosphere before anything more drastic Kev.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Disaster!
    I have finished my next Flyboy and decided to varnish it with the last one and the Acrylic varnish has gone white the two models now look like they are covered in Snow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am gutted and do not know what to do with them other than strip them and start again any help would be welcome

Avery sad Kev
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Try re spraying it in a cool but not damp atmosphere before anything more drastic Kev.

Rob.
    My first instinct would be to try another fresh clear coat. I had something similar happen to some armor models.

I would think that with another layer of the same fluid, it would dissolve the previous layer and dilute it, if nothing else. The cool environment would slow down the drying process, giving that dissolving/diluting effect more time to work.
    Mike

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

Discussions on other sites and other times suggest a long wait before using an acrylic varnish over anything in case of an adverse reaction. One suggestion made to me was 'at least two weeks drying time'. This allows everything underneath to thoroughly dry and prevent problems.

Barry

Hi Chaps
    Thank you for all your help I will give it a try

Regards Kev

Not much help now I suppose, but I once spray varnished a number of ACW Union regts who all turned white, I found that by using a drybrush brush dipped in plain water and then brushed over the figures removed the whiteness, didnt need a respray either , the units are still pristine... except for age that is

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Arizona (Otherwise known as Hell's back porch)
    Sorties Flown

Hi all
    Well it has been a long time coming but I got some new Nieuport 17's and have finished my second aircraft.

Regards Kev
    So who did your decals for Rawling's plane with the double R? If you say Dom's then I'm out of luck since Dom is pretty much incommunicato at present.

if you are to play thee they have to have a rule for extremely tough "undercarriage wheels"?

Great thread this could bring me back more often thanks all.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

Oldguy, are all of these posted in the files section by any chance? I am missing Rawlings aircraft card.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Knowitall View Post
    Oldguy, are all of these posted in the files section by any chance? I am missing Rawlings aircraft card.
    The images can be downloaded directly from this thread. I don't even have these in my albums.

PS: Ooops! Not where I thought they were:

OldGuy59's Custom Plane Cards Album

Right. Cause these were not historical color schemes.
    Mike

Users Country Flag

Name
    Daniel
    Sorties Flown

The images can be downloaded directly from this thread. I don't even have these in my albums.

PS: Ooops! Not where I thought they were:

OldGuy59's Custom Plane Cards Album

Right. Cause these were not historical color schemes.
    Thanks Oldguy59 That is exactly what I'm looking for!

Similar Missions

1. Today's offerings - Nieuport 24/27 aircraft cards
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-22-2020, 01:22
  2. What I've learned after seeing the movie Flyboys
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 07-25-2014, 12:26
  3. Nieuport 28 plane cards
    By Old Navy in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 10:27
  4. WSF My Nieuport 17 Challenge: Flyboys, eat your hearts out!
    By Dark Horse in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-02-2012, 06:40
  5. Here's some more music for you flyboys
    By CappyTom in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 02:50