Ares Games

Thread: Film footage of Short 184 and Felixstowe F2A

Default Film footage of Short 184 and Felixstowe F2A

In the course of some research I'm doing I stumbled across a film in the IWM archives, but viewable on the net, which includes some wonderful scenes of the Short 184 seaplane and the Felixstowe F2A taxiing and at rest off the Rosyth seaplane base in 1917. Obviously the film is silent so it's not your speakers packing up!

Pigeons and Seaplanes
    A Royal Engineers sergeant shows how to load two carrier pigeons into a small wicker basket for transport. At the Rosyth seaplane base Felixstowe F2A flying boats and Short 184 seaplanes ride at anchor or taxi through the water. One of the Shorts at rest on a choppy sea (filmed from a small boat which rises and falls with the waves). A carrier pigeon is released from the aircraft and flies away.
    © IWM (IWM 287)

Click here to view the film on the IWM website.

Another title that the IWM has made available on the net, although the quality and content is not as good is:

Seaplanes
    A Short 184 some distance away from the camera comes in to land, then takes off. A PV5 seaplane taxies through the harbour, increasing speed to keep ahead of the camera boat. A Short 184 taxies around the harbour throwing up a lot of spray, weaving between the small boats. A King Edward Class battleship and a Gem Class light cruiser are in the background. The seaplane finally takes off. The Short 184 number N1081 on trestles on land showing that it is fitted with standard floats, followed by the same machine taxiing through the water. The view from the rear cockpit of the seaplane over the tail as it taxies. The Fairey N9 seaplane (a prototype version of the Fairey FIII) is also shown taxiing, then stationary and moving off, then coming in to land.
    © IWM (IWM 644)

Click here to view the film on the IWM website.
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 12-09-2015 at 10:28.

It was interesting to find that such footage exists. Thank you for posting the links, Alex.

Interesting videos. I need to come back to the second one because the loading kept pausing the video, but what I saw was very cool.
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Great footage of these types & great to see them. Thanks Alex

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Something I never encountered before Alex!
    I can feel another Seaplane action coming on.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great footage, Zoe!
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Something I never encountered before Alex!
    I can feel another Seaplane action coming on.
    Rob.
    No problem! I've used the IWM archives a fair few times and they're fascinating (if sometimes in need of better organisation!), but only just stumbled across these films.

thoroughly enjoyed these clips!

Similar Missions

1. Detective For A Day short film coming soon!
    By HotleadColdfeet in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-12-2015, 21:17
  2. Short Film: "FORTRESS"
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 23:36
  3. "The Oceanmaker" -- short film
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2015, 04:33
  4. The History of Warfare short film