Ares Games

Thread: The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 2 – In the Wave of the Blitz

Default The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 2 – In the Wave of the Blitz

May 11, 1940

"Allez! Allez! Joachim prend Gaston avec toi et dépêches-toi! Les Boches attaquent! Stukas! Allez! Allez!" I signaled Gaston. A rookie. Confident. Too confident... He followed me quickly. We got inside the cockpit of the D.520s and helped by our mechanics we got ready to roll in the improvised airfield somewhere in North of France. "Suivez-moi. Ne me laisse, Gaston. Tu n'es pas prêt pour batailler sole les Boches." He laughed. "Ça, nous le savons aujourd'hui, n'est pas?" And I had a chill. I had no time to explain him that guts alone wouldn't bring him back home.

The radios in the Dewoitine were lousy. I could only hear half what Gaston said and I could only hope that he could hear me. I pointed at the incoming German planes. Three fighters, I supposed.

Gaston signaled me that he saw them and I tried to tell him again and again to keep in formation with me.

The D.520s were sweet to fly, but the One-oh-nines were faster and better armed. I knew that. He didn't know it yet.

Then I saw them better. Two Stukas protected by a One-oh-nine.

We moved in to intercept. If I could draw the Messerschmitt fire against me, Gaston would have a chance against the Stukas.

The German fighter faced us and targeted me.

And he hit me on my engine. Damn luck! I felt the engine losing power as I adjusted my sight.

We both fired back with a pitiful result.

Then we passed the One-oh-nine. "Mon moteur est endommagé!" I screamed. I don't know if Gaston heard me.

Then we fired against the second Stuka. The 20mm canons making a fast work on the dive bomber. And I wounded the German pilot.

My plane slowed down, its engine unable to cope with the damage. I turned right. "Je le finis!" I looked back and Gaston was reversing.

I had no time to dissuade him of it. Both Stuka's gunners aimed at me. The One-oh-nine was also reversing.

I had to destroy the other Stuka before he attacked whatever was his target. Gaston had to fend for himself. I shouted, "Le chasseur est sur ​​votre dos!" but he didn't reply.

The Stuka's gunner hit me again.

He dove, I followed, looking quickly at Gaston. If I could put down this one quickly, I would still be able to help him.

The wounded Stuka trained his machine gun at Gaston's plane but failed to connect.

But then so did I.

I would not be able to stop the bomb run and the One-oh-nine was closing on Gaston. He would not reply to my warnings.

And then his rookie's luck changed.

As he was attacked by both planes. And now I could hear him well on my radio.

He was still capable of firing and hitting the wounded Stuka, breaking it apart. But I could hear him now. "Mon avion est en feu! Aidez-moi!"

I fired frantically against the diving Stuka.

I could see the Stuka falling and the D.520 with a trail of fire and a One-oh-nine on his tail. I was too far away...

Then the Stuka drop his bombs perfectly over its target, as I was told after...

And as I listened to my wingman screaming in fear and panic, I decided that this particular Stuka wouldn't bomb ever again.

"Saute! Saute, Gaston!" I shouted again and again through the radio.

The German fired with perfect aim at him. I kept shouting, almost mechanically. "Saute! Saute, Gaston!"

The Stuka's gunner was now getting nervous and failed to hit me.

As a divine retribution I set the Stuka on fire.

For a moment it seemed that an ironic reflection was upon us. Was the German fighter pilot also listening scared screams and impotent to help?

The fire kept devouring the Dewoitine. I could still hear his screams inside the cockpit.

Then the German pilot cut short his screams...

And Gaston went down in his burning winged coffin...

The Stuka was a sturdy machine and the fire seemed to make no damage to it.

The gunner was skilled and I felt his bullets raking my fighter.

But my aiming was good and finally I delivered an ail of destructive lead.

And as if still reflecting the events freshly past, no parachute opened in the skies of May as the Stuka burned down in its last dive.

I turned my nose to the German fighter still hungry for revenge, but the yellow nosed shark moved away.

In This Scenario:

1. I'm using the Universal Diceless Solo WW2 Chart.
    2. Pilot Officer Joachim Franciszek is an ace with 9 kills (1 official kill during this scenario) and the following Ace abilities: Acrobatic pilot.
    3. Pilot Officer Gaston La Rochelle (Rookie) moved using the diceless solo chart as soon as he left Joachim's tail.
    Last edited by Blackronin; 12-07-2015 at 14:16.

Similar Missions

1. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 12 – Opening Stages
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-19-2015, 03:05
  2. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 9 - Last Stand
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 07:45
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 04:47
  4. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 5 – September Blood
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 03:29
  5. The Kindness of Strangers WW2 Solo Campaign: Chapter 1 - A Target in Dunkirk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 04:02