Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Extra Mission: Caught with their pants down – July 2nd 1917- by Flash

Default OTTED Extra Mission: Caught with their pants down – July 2nd 1917- by Flash

Your Christmas Turkey Shoot !

Situation:
    Your unit has been moved to a new area of operations along the front to bolster the air defence for a short while and the ‘Top Office’ has decided that on the way there a select few will be visiting the nearest enemy airfields to announce your arrival in style.

Mission: Destroy as many aircraft as possible

Execution:
    Approach will be made at low level shortly after their dawn patrols have landed.
    They will not be expecting you so air defences are expected to be light to non- existent. You will have enough fuel to make a few passes over the field before you must break for home. Your priority is to destroy aircraft, or at least damage them.

Friendly forces:
    Attackers are all scout aircraft - as many as you are happy to handle, but I recommend 2 as the best number. They may all be controlled by you or by you & AI, whichever suits you best. ( I found controlling them best for me); if you are feeling particularly brave you may fly just one attacker - Billy Bishop style as claimed !

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario:
    Airfield strafing attack

The Layout:
    I first played this on a table about the size of one mat (98x68cm) but if you can go bigger I would recommend it. I may re-play it on a 6’x4’ (180x120cm).
    Those of you lucky enough to have scale buildings, vehicles, hedges, trees etc can bling this up as much as you like – the real important thing is the aircraft on the ground. I played this with 10 but would say 6 is good but you may add more if you wish; scouts of all types & two seaters, in a line or two, a half ruler apart (wing tip to wing tip) or whatever looks right to you but leave enough room to get a stand of an attacking scout in !
    Something like this:

Anti-Aircraft:
    B deck AAMG will be required – max of 4 - these can be dotted around the field as you desire but will be unmanned at the beginning of the game so cards start trench side up. More of this later !
    If you want to make it interesting, as I did, you could put a number of trenches out – number them & then dice for which are AAMG as you play the game. More of this later !
    I used an A deck AAMG as well as B Deck in my original play test – not recommended !

The Game:
    Attackers get a free first pass before the defenders can react – this is to represent the chaos of a surprise attack. Rather than moving counters about it is given that the defending pilots will be mounting their steeds by the time the first enemy aircraft has turned back towards the airfield for their second pass– the question is how many pilots will there be ?

Who Gets Off The Ground:
    1. Number the aircraft 1 – 10 (or whatever you have made available).

2. Roll a dice appropriate to the number of aircraft - if the result falls 1 to middle that is the number of pilots available. If result is middle to high subtract that number from the Die max to get the numbers of pilots available.
    (eg: I had 10 aircraft so used a D10 – if I rolled a 3 it equals 3 pilots; roll a 6 it equals 4 pilots. If you were using 6 aircraft Rolling a D6 a 3 = 3; rolling a 5 = 1 pilot)
    This will ensure no more than half the pilots will try to get airborne at one time.

3. These pilots & ground crew will make for their aircraft as the enemy pass. Now roll the Dice again to allocate them to the numbered aircraft. If their aircraft is destroyed, has wounded pilot (cockpit controls smashed), smoking or burning it cannot be flown.
    If it has rudder damage then remove 1 left or right turn + sharp turn if applicable from its flight deck (replace with straights if comes up in AI).

Those that can fly will be started & taxi for one full turn. They will take off on the next turn. Once they are at 3 pegs high the AI can fly them.

On the next time the enemy turn in to attack you roll again for the remaining pilots - if one remained from the first group because his aircraft was destroyed/damaged from the first pass he will take the next available aircraft beside his, this may mean the owner of that aircraft from the second group turns up to see his kite taxiing off down the runway !
    Those pilots not selected are either absent from the field for some reason or have become casualties.

Moving on the ground:
    You may turn and move the plane on the ground. Put the airplane's card under the model. To turn the airplane, hold the card down with a fingertip (you may put it on any spot on the card). Then turn the card so that it rotates around your fingertip. The grounded aircraft may either turn or use a short straight instead of each manoeuvre. The pilot may not shoot while on the ground or taking off unless it has a rear gunner.

Taking off:
    To take off, point it in the direction where you want to take off and next turn play a short straight, a straight and a climb. The airplane is then considered airborne (by 1 peg) climbing 1 peg per movement thereafter - it will fly normally once at 3 pegs high. Plan its AI manoeuvres as usual from then on.

Only airborne targets count as kills – ‘just’ airborne also counts

AAMG:
    After the 'free pass' availability of AAMG can be diced for also using a D8 – 1,2 = 1 gun, 3,4 = 2 etc and if you wish you can dice for which trench has the AAMGs. ie You can put out 8 (or more) trench cards and dice for which has an AAMG. In this way you cannot know where the AAMG are until they open up !

Attacking Ground Targets with MGs :
    Aircraft attacking a ground target will get lower to the ground each time they fire & can go down to 1 peg before having to climb out –
    For each manoeuvre spent firing at ground target descend one peg, the attacking aircraft start at four pegs high, get 1 shot when at one peg high then must climb – at a rate of 1 peg per movement.
    You can climb between descents but cannot fire as in a ‘nose up’ attitude.
    You can only engage ground targets at close range when down to two pegs or less.
    You cannot fly over a grounded aircraft when at 1 peg high – collision occurs !

Low Flying:
    When at 1 peg you can only fly straights.
    When at 2 pegs you can only fly straights, sideslips & curves (but not sharp turns)
    When at 3 pegs you can fly normally.
    If a pilot is wounded at 1 peg high he crashes immediately.

Attacking Ground Targets with Bombs:
    If you wish you may randomly determine that some of your attacking scouts are equipped with a couple of small bombs. They may only be dropped from 4 peg height as a pair. ie 1 shot. Usual bombing rules apply. The bomb card must cover the cockpit of a target plane to score a direct hit.
    A Direct Hit = 2 C deck cards
    A Near Miss = 1 C deck card
    Use C Deck if you have them or multiple A cards if you have neither – Special damage counts.

Special Rules:
    Take all zeros from A damage decks except those cards with special damage - this is why I don't recommend A Deck AAMG ! (unless you use a separate deck ) - this represents the sitting duck nature of the attack.

Other Stuff:
    ท Aircraft damaged by ground attack obviously carry damage into battle.
    ท Defenders - should any get off the ground - are handled by you until at 3 pegs high & then are AI controlled.
    ท Attacking aircraft taking special damage may break off the attack & head for home as per usual rules– full fire damage will be drawn even if aircraft left the table to see if aircraft make it back to their lines. Attackers downed are considered downed in Enemy Territory.
    ท Have a decided take off direction for the airfield - makes things much easier.
    ท You, as I did in the playtest, may have the attack come in from a randomly diced direction to replicate the difficulty of low level navigation. I came in at the one o'clock (D12) in my game which was lucky !

Well, there it is, a lot to take in at first glance but I hope it's not overly complicated & makes sense. Once you start to play I found it's fairly simple - just watch your height & roll a dice or two when required. Good luck !

The original OTT thread is here
    Last edited by flash; 12-23-2015 at 06:57.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Awesome....I have to say, I've been wanting to play this mission for a while

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Cool

Sounds like it will be an exciting adventure.
    Can't wait to see how it goes.
    One thought on what you put for attacking at level 1.
    I would think you should be able to get a couple of shots in if you flew down the middle of the field, rather than directly over the planes. Also if you run a couple of 2 seaterrs in the mix you could possibly drop a grenade or bomb or two during your first pass.
    Good luck and happy hunting to people doing this.
    Last edited by Setarius; 11-30-2015 at 15:04.

If you click on this link & scroll to mission 13 Dale you can see how it goes !
    Flying down the front or rear of the plane line is the way to go - if you can get it lined up and if you come at the airfield from the right direction. No two-seaters though, this is a scout mission & if you read the brief you will see they can carry bombs if the players want !

Last time I tried this one I got caught with my pants down and I was attacking.......now where is my upgunned Supertros? Double A+A front firing with laser guided smart bombs....well if Hedeby can have one why can't I?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Sorry my bad. I misread the mission parameters, thought we could use a couple of 2 seaters as well since the whole unit was moving.
    Since I'm not part of the official OTT group, I still plan on trying this one out at least twice, the first time with 10 planes on the ground and the second time with 8 on the ground and 2 showing up late, low on ammo, fuel, and with some damage.
    I hope everyone has fun with this one.

If you have a go please post an AAR in the AAR sub-forum Dale - always interested to see how these games come out especially to see what extra twists are added
    It was inspired by Billy Bishops claim of attacking a Hun airfield so you could fly it with a solo scout but I don't think you'll get too much damage done before they get off the ground after you !

Thumbs up

I can recommend this scenario greatly.
    Waaaay back I played it when Dave first put up the details & flew it twice the second time with Capt Triggers & a wingman from the Hearts of Oak Squadron flying Camels.
    Poor old Triggers got Target Fixation & got shot down which spawned a couple of Rescue Missions.
    The AAR is back a couple of years ago in the AAR section (Not Campaign!) I used some very nice 3D building & other scenery.
    Dave (flash's) link has a link to both my games
    Last edited by gully_raker; 12-03-2015 at 01:27.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

I went back and looked up the old mission and read the AARs and found them very interesting and enjoyable. And yes, Dave, I was going to post any results in the AAR section. Hopefully I can get the photos to work properly, still not being allowed to click and drag by the device I am using, can upload fine.
    Anxiously waiting to see what comes of this mission from the group.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-08-2015, 14:05
  2. AAR OTTED Mission 14 - Flash Retrieves the Spy - 14th February 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 10:36
  3. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-21-2015, 13:17
  4. AAR Mission 13 Caught with their Pants down
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 15